Scotland squad - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland squad

mccaughey85

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Spot on.

Think of a scenario leading up to the World Cup Play-offs and Gordon gets injured in training just before the match. I'd far sooner have the experience of Marshall between the sticks than the inexperience of McLaughlin.

Absolutely. Psychology is a huge part of the game. Some think we were slightly over-awed against the Czechs. Which is probably true for some of the players. Imagine throwing McLaughlin into a playoff or even a World Cup game having only played against Annan athletic in the past 6 months. I'd trust an out of form Marshall long before McLaughlin. Who, quite honestly, I can barely remember making a save in the past few years.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

When was the last time McLaughlin played? Marshall has played a lot since the start of the year and has over 40 caps. He doesn't deserve to be number 1, but he definitely deserves to be there ahead of McLaughlin, who gets sporadic league cup appearances.

Are we down to only 2 recognised Centre backs? Hendry and Hanley. McTominay may be forced into the back 3, if that wasn't the original plan anyway.

He played last week 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Spot on.

Think of a scenario leading up to the World Cup Play-offs and Gordon gets injured in training just before the match. I'd far sooner have the experience of Marshall between the sticks than the inexperience of McLaughlin.

I’d rather have the better goalkeeper in tbh. Marshall has also hardly played since his mega howler last summer 

21 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

These are exactly the sort of games where we should be trying out a new keeper. We know exactly what Gordon can do. He should be told to stay at home and have a wee rest. Give the other two keepers a game each. 

Yes I get your point but......

Play a young and inexperienced goalkeeper and we suffer two losses and momentum has all gone and puts us in a worse place for the play-offs. Besides, which of our back-up goalkeepers are screaming out select me at the moment? There are none sadly.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Clarke must have an odea who his 2nd choice GK is. I would still bring Gordon along but id defo be wanting to see the back up GK get some game time and exposure to international football.

Theres not much in it but for me McLaughlin would shade it purely down to the fact that in theory he should be able to handle the pressure more.

Cooper will definitely be brought in for McKenna, Clark or McLaughlin in for Marshall and perhaps Stewart or Gauld for Dykes.

Hadn’t thought of Gauld that’s a good shout. 

Maybe tricky getting him at this short notice now though. 

Would have thought it's too early to bring Cooper back given he only just about made the bench for Leeds the other night and their manager was talking about looking forward to using the international break to give more time for his players to recover.
Unfortunately there's no obvious pick centre back wise. Personally I'd like Welsh involved but it's whether a competitive U21 game is deemed more important than a senior friendly or not.

34 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Clarke must have an odea who his 2nd choice GK is. I would still bring Gordon along but id defo be wanting to see the back up GK get some game time and exposure to international football.

Theres not much in it but for me McLaughlin would shade it purely down to the fact that in theory he should be able to handle the pressure more.

Well it depends what the motives are for blooding a different keeper. If you are building for the future then McLaughlin is 34 so not exactly one who has lots of years in front of him. I'd sooner see Liam Kelly get a game or look to develop Zander Clark as both of those are in their late 20s so have a few more years in them.

Yes I get your point but......

Play a young and inexperienced goalkeeper and we suffer two losses and momentum has all gone and puts us in a worse place for the play-offs. Besides, which of our back-up goalkeepers are screaming out select me at the moment? There are none sadly.

By your logic we wouldn't give any other keeper a game until Gordon isn't available. This is what friendlies should be for. Give the others a wee bit of experience, for the day that they are thrown in for real. We could win lose or draw both these games with or without Gordon. It's not like Gordon has never made a mistake in his career. 

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

By your logic we wouldn't give any other keeper a game until Gordon isn't available. This is what friendlies should be for. Give the others a wee bit of experience, for the day that they are thrown in for real. We could win lose or draw both these games with or without Gordon. It's not like Gordon has never made a mistake in his career. 

I have no issue with trying out youngsters - if they merit it and it benefits us in the future. No issues with the likes of Hickey being called up as he is young and super talented. Sadly, at present, there are no young goalkeepers of that ilk around at the moment so dropping Gordon to play a 34-year-old with limited top flight experience in games we ideally need to win (V Poland) and draw (minimum) away to Austria/Wales just does not make much sense to me.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Genuine question, why would McLaughlin be able to handle the pressure more? For the last few years he's mostly been playing in games where he has 2 or 3 saves to make per 90, if any. By the time Gordon and Marshall are out the picture, McLaughlin won't be far behind in terms of age. Maybe McGregor will retire soon. Who knows. But what are the chances of Rangers not just buying a new goalkeeper?

In terms of playing Gordon, I understand wanting to blood younger goalkeepers, but he's one cap away from being in the top 10 of all time. So we should play him in at least one of the games.

6 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Genuine question, why would McLaughlin be able to handle the pressure more? For the last few years he's mostly been playing in games where he has 2 or 3 saves to make per 90, if any. By the time Gordon and Marshall are out the picture, McLaughlin won't be far behind in terms of age. Maybe McGregor will retire soon. Who knows. But what are the chances of Rangers not just buying a new goalkeeper?

In terms of playing Gordon, I understand wanting to blood younger goalkeepers, but he's one cap away from being in the top 10 of all time. So we should play him in at least one of the games.

I think its guaranteed when McGregor retires that Rangers will sign a new 'keeper to take his place. Look at today for example - a game against bottom of the table Dundee and still they do not feel the need to rest McGregor for McLaughlin. That says a lot. McLaughlin has spent the majority of his career in lower league football or bench-warming. Is that really who fans think is our next No 1?

18 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think its guaranteed when McGregor retires that Rangers will sign a new 'keeper to take his place. Look at today for example - a game against bottom of the table Dundee and still they do not feel the need to rest McGregor for McLaughlin. That says a lot. McLaughlin has spent the majority of his career in lower league football or bench-warming. Is that really who fans think is our next No 1?

If he wasn't at Rangers, he wouldn't even be part of the discussion. I'd much rather McRorie was nurtured than pinning our hopes on McLaughlin.

Right now, Kelly is probably the most in form. But he's kind of like what Nisbet is to Dykes and Adams. Marshall and Gordon are miles ahead of every other keeper. 

4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

If he wasn't at Rangers, he wouldn't even be part of the discussion. I'd much rather McRorie was nurtured than pinning our hopes on McLaughlin.

Right now, Kelly is probably the most in form. But he's kind of like what Nisbet is to Dykes and Adams. Marshall and Gordon are miles ahead of every other keeper. 

Yes I totally agree.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Generally speaking players who play for "big" clubs are able to handle pressure of big occasions better than those who dont. Im not a huge advocate of McLaughlin. I dont thinj theres a great deal between him and Clarke / Kelly. McLaughlin played a number of games at the beginning of last season and this season and done well at club level. He seems to me to be a safe pair of hands. No more no less.

I agree that its unlikely that he will ever be Rangers number 1. I wouldnt be pushing him as the long term Scotland number 1. Im thinking very short term, ie to the games in June. Id give him full games now just incase Gordon gets injured before June.

If Gordons not available in June who people want in goals? 

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Expand  

He’d most likely be playing first team football though. If he was playing for Aberdeen he’d be part of the discussion. 

43 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Generally speaking players who play for "big" clubs are able to handle pressure of big occasions better than those who dont. Im not a huge advocate of McLaughlin. I dont thinj theres a great deal between him and Clarke / Kelly. McLaughlin played a number of games at the beginning of last season and this season and done well at club level. He seems to me to be a safe pair of hands. No more no less.

I agree that its unlikely that he will ever be Rangers number 1. I wouldnt be pushing him as the long term Scotland number 1. Im thinking very short term, ie to the games in June. Id give him full games now just incase Gordon gets injured before June.

If Gordons not available in June who people want in goals? 

That's true, in theory, but how much pressure is McLaughlin really under day to day. He knows he can do the bare minimum, still get paid, and rarely asked to perform.

It's a very hard question. One even Clarke probably doesn't know the answer to. Based on the most recent squad, you'd assume it's Kelly, but I wouldn't be putting any bets on him being the long term replacement for Gordon and Marshall.

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

These are exactly the sort of games where we should be trying out a new keeper. We know exactly what Gordon can do. He should be told to stay at home and have a wee rest. Give the other two keepers a game each. 

I partly agree with this. I'd give one of the younger 'keepers a half each at least but keep Gordon in the squad.

I get that the alternatives to Gordon lack experience but there's only one way to gain experience. He isn't going to go on forever, this is an ideal opportunity to give a younger goalie some game time.