Scotland squad - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland squad

mccaughey85

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

If he wasn't at Rangers, he wouldn't even be part of the discussion. I'd much rather McRorie was nurtured than pinning our hopes on McLaughlin.

Right now, Kelly is probably the most in form. But he's kind of like what Nisbet is to Dykes and Adams. Marshall and Gordon are miles ahead of every other keeper. 

Very true, sadly. But unless some young whizz-kid emerges that we don't know about, Clarke and Kelly are probably the best alternatives available.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I partly agree with this. I'd give one of the younger 'keepers a half each at least but keep Gordon in the squad.

I get that the alternatives to Gordon lack experience but there's only one way to gain experience. He isn't going to go on forever, this is an ideal opportunity to give a younger goalie some game time.

McLaughlin is 34 so not one for the future. If we are looking to develop a keeper for post-Gordon then Liam Kelly and Zander Clark at least are on the right side of 30 or McRorie (much younger) is the way to go.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

McLaughlin is 34 so not one for the future. If we are looking to develop a keeper for post-Gordon then Liam Kelly and Zander Clark at least are on the right side of 30 or McRorie (much younger) is the way to go.

Agreed 👍

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

Ross Stewart set to be called up going by reports. 

Probably the right time to take a look at him. Hopefully he steps up and gets a move up the leagues from it

51 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Indeed.

Fully deserved too. 👍

Not sure i agree, it's a shit level of football at a basket case club

He benefits from us having no options upfront. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Probably the right time to take a look at him. Hopefully he steps up and gets a move up the leagues from it

Not sure i agree, it's a shit level of football at a basket case club

He benefits from us having no options upfront. 

That's not really his fault though, is it? He's one of the few strikers available to us who's been scoring regularly this season.

Yeah, ideally we shouldn't even be considering guys playing in the English third tier but ideally we shouldn't have to consider guys playing in the English second tier either. As the old saying goes, you can only piss with the dick you've got!

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

That's true, in theory, but how much pressure is McLaughlin really under day to day. He knows he can do the bare minimum, still get paid, and rarely asked to perform.

It's a very hard question. One even Clarke probably doesn't know the answer to. Based on the most recent squad, you'd assume it's Kelly, but I wouldn't be putting any bets on him being the long term replacement for Gordon and Marshall.

I think playing for the Old Firm ia a different type of pressure. In 99% of games they have most of the ball and are heavy favourites so in theory it should be easy to play for them however thats been shown time and time again to not be the case. I think the pressure comes more from expectation and concentration. Something thats very similar to playing for Scotland.

As I said, McLaughlin isnt the long term answer however I believe he is our next best bet for June. 

If we had a standout younger GK then in be all for blooding them and getting them involved but there is nobody that even comes close to meeting that criteria.

If we are honest Clarke and Kelly are nowhere near good enough for number 1 either so its more a case of maybe having Gordon for aslong as possible and then maybe McLaughlin for a few games when required in the hope somebody emerges.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I think playing for the Old Firm ia a different type of pressure. In 99% of games they have most of the ball and are heavy favourites so in theory it should be easy to play for them however thats been shown time and time again to not be the case. I think the pressure comes more from expectation and concentration. Something thats very similar to playing for Scotland.

As I said, McLaughlin isnt the long term answer however I believe he is our next best bet for June. 

If we had a standout younger GK then in be all for blooding them and getting them involved but there is nobody that even comes close to meeting that criteria.

If we are honest Clarke and Kelly are nowhere near good enough for number 1 either so its more a case of maybe having Gordon for aslong as possible and then maybe McLaughlin for a few games when required in the hope somebody emerges.

In terms of playing for Rangers in goal then it is an easier ride by miles than Kelly and Clark have. I would hazard a guess they have had more saves to make throughout the season than McGregor at Rangers. Look to stats of Rangers/Celtic V the rest and they stack up on average 20 shots on goal to their opponents - say average 5 to 10 due to them having stronger sides and more pressure put on opponents.

57 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

In terms of playing for Rangers in goal then it is an easier ride by miles than Kelly and Clark have. I would hazard a guess they have had more saves to make throughout the season than McGregor at Rangers. Look to stats of Rangers/Celtic V the rest and they stack up on average 20 shots on goal to their opponents - say average 5 to 10 due to them having stronger sides and more pressure put on opponents.

You are 100% correct. Thats why I said its a different kind of pressure. Ie make a mistake at St Johnstone or Motherwell and its not all over the news, 50,000 fans on your back, getting abuse in the street, costing a title etc etc. Its also sometimes hard as a keeper to do nothing for 89 mins of a game but then be called on to make that 1 big save.

It should also be easier to be an outfield player at the Old Firm but as we have seen its not always the case. Guys like OHallaren at St J do very well but couldnt cut it at Rangers despite probably getting many many more chances to score per game.

You are 100% correct. Thats why I said its a different kind of pressure. Ie make a mistake at St Johnstone or Motherwell and its not all over the news, 50,000 fans on your back, getting abuse in the street, costing a title etc etc. Its also sometimes hard as a keeper to do nothing for 89 mins of a game but then be called on to make that 1 big save.

It should also be easier to be an outfield player at the Old Firm but as we have seen its not always the case. Guys like OHallaren at St J do very well but couldnt cut it at Rangers despite probably getting many many more chances to score per game.

You are missing my point. Kelly and Clark are tested week in and week out with far more shots to save plus they are first team regulars. McLaughlin is not and on the rate occasions he does play he is not tested with shots to the same degree as Clark and Kelly. Not his fault I know but for me he is not playing first team football so is out of the equation just as Marshall was when Derby dropped him.

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You are missing my point. Kelly and Clark are tested week in and week out with far more shots to save plus they are first team regulars. McLaughlin is not and on the rate occasions he does play he is not tested with shots to the same degree as Clark and Kelly. Not his fault I know but for me he is not playing first team football so is out of the equation just as Marshall was when Derby dropped him.

I think Clarke will get a move this summer and will become the new number 2 behind Craig Gordon. 

45 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I think Clarke will get a move this summer and will become the new number 2 behind Craig Gordon. 

Clarke is a strange one.

Hes been available for anyone for probably around £500,000 ish for years and there hasn’t been much or any interest in him. 

Be interesting to see the level he moves to after this summer.

Is there a reason no team a level up from St Johnstone has tried to get him; lack of distribution or something missing from his game. 

The paper rumours are that Craig Halkett and Ross Stewart are to be called up today. 

Neither very overwhelming choices. Stewart has had a good season but at a pretty poor level. When you watch Halkett in the SPL you don’t see much in him to suggest he’s an international class defender. I guess we are short of options.

Shame Stephen Welsh hasn’t played much lately, would prefer him to Halkett IMO. 

31 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

The paper rumours are that Craig Halkett and Ross Stewart are to be called up today. 

Neither very overwhelming choices. Stewart has had a good season but at a pretty poor level. When you watch Halkett in the SPL you don’t see much in him to suggest he’s an international class defender. I guess we are short of options.

Welsh is in the under 21 squad. 

Surely this should have been a chance to promote players from there rather than include someone who hasn't been near the squad previously and is unlikely to be again. 

Halkett has never impressed me much whenever i have watched hearts which I admit is maybe only 4 or 5 times a season when we are playing them and even then he is not playing all time due to injury.  He looks slow and clumsy but playing in the middle of a 3 defence is the easiest position in football. Declan Gallagher showed this with his performance against mitrovic and if its just a striker like that to watch and hes up against then maybe he will be ok. He surely cant be the answer but do we have any others? 

Ive saw mentioned the 2 at coventry and various other lower league players but hanley and cooper are miles out in front for that position and if both of them are not able to play for whatever reason then it could be grim.

Ross Stewart certainly deserves his chance and whilst yes league 1 is not great standard it cant be any worse than our premiership outside glasgow 2. He looks determined and will run the channels and obviously has a nose for goal. I agreed with a ross county fan on here a couple of seasons ago that he had something about him anytime i watched him and heres hoping he can be get a promotion chasing championship team next year and keep doing what hes doing.

9 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I totally get your point and its a valid one. I personally would just opt for McLaughlin if there was a competitivd match tomorrow and Gordon wasnt available. He isnt playing week in week out but for a GK that isnt as important as an outfield player. Both Clark and Kelly have been poor this season. St J and Motherwell is there level. Im not saying McLaughlins is much higher but id put him more at a Dundee Utd / Aberdeen type level if he chose to be a 1st pick.

I totally get your point and its a valid one. I personally would just opt for McLaughlin if there was a competitivd match tomorrow and Gordon wasnt available. He isnt playing week in week out but for a GK that isnt as important as an outfield player. Both Clark and Kelly have been poor this season. St J and Motherwell is there level. Im not saying McLaughlins is much higher but id put him more at a Dundee Utd / Aberdeen type level if he chose to be a 1st pick.

To say that Kelly has been poor this season is so far removed from the truth, it's not real. Kelly will win just about every award going at Motherwells end of season awards night. 

29 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

To say that Kelly has been poor this season is so far removed from the truth, it's not real. Kelly will win just about every award going at Motherwells end of season awards night. 

That wouldnt be saying much at Motherwell to be fair lol

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Theres a fair few i would prefer to halkett. Surprised gallagher never got called, thought he played well when he had his chances and has been unfairly shunted out if the picture altogether.

I think we will be seeing mctominay cover at cb for these friendlies.

3 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Not sure he gets a game before Seigrist at Tannadice to be fair although he is unlikely to be there next season