Scotland squad - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland squad

mccaughey85

Scotland squad

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Hearts), Liam Kelly (Motherwell), David Marshall (QPR).

Defenders: Grant Hanley (Norwich), Jack Hendry (Brugge), Hickey (Bologna), McKenna (Nottingham Forest), Stephen O'Donnell (Motherwell), Nathan Patterson (Everton), Andy Robertson (Liverpool), Greg Taylor (Celtic), Kieran Tierney (Arsenal).

Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong (Southampton), Lewis Ferguson (Aberdeen), Billy Gilmour (Norwich, on loan from Chelsea), Ryan Jack (Rangers), John McGinn (Aston Villa), Callum McGregor (Celtic), Kenny McLean (Norwich), Scott McTominay (Manchester United).

Forwards: Che Adams (Southampton), Jacob Brown (Stoke), Ryan Christie (Bournemouth), Lyndon Dykes (QPR).

Seems like a lack of centre backs considering we play three but maybe mctominay will cover there as well.

Pretty much the expected squad except maybe fraser who is out of favour with clarke for obvious reasons.

Maybe ralston could of been included as well but not much to complain about overall.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only players inclusion under question would be Greg Taylor and Jacob Brown. Neither are going to get any game time and doubt greatly they will ever make the grade. Gauld for Brown and perhaps Taylor replaced with another centre-back to look at.

The right wing-back slot will be of interest here. I'd give a half each to Patterson and Hickey V Poland in that slot with the one that impresses most starting V Austria/Wales .

Seems like a lack of centre backs considering we play three but maybe mctominay will cover there as well.

Maybe Aaron Hickey could also play there in an emergency? He's got the height and physicality, can tackle, and makes a lot of defensive headers from incoming set pieces at Bologna.

Unlikely to play but Marshall came on as a sub for QPR as first choice was injured and was awful and played the next game and awful again really worrying about the keeper situation hopefully a Mair or Slicker get decent loan moves in the summer or someone else gets a run of games. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Only players inclusion under question would be Greg Taylor and Jacob Brown. Neither are going to get any game time and doubt greatly they will ever make the grade. Gauld for Brown and perhaps Taylor replaced with another centre-back to look at.

The right wing-back slot will be of interest here. I'd give a half each to Patterson and Hickey V Poland in that slot with the one that impresses most starting V Austria/Wales .

Yeh theres really no need for taylor when we have hickey,robertson and tierney in there. 

47 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

Maybe Aaron Hickey could also play there in an emergency? He's got the height and physicality, can tackle, and makes a lot of defensive headers from incoming set pieces at Bologna.

Not sure, he doesnt look like a centre back to me but you never know maybe he could develop into one.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Jacob brown been banging them in recently. More than Christie has. Well worth his place imo. 

Guest Scot1

Not sure I would’ve included Dykes for this squad. He’s just coming back from injury and has kicked a ball in a while. I’d have been tempted to call up Ross Stewart, similar type of player to Dykes, could’ve been a chance for Clarke to get a closer look at him.

1 hour ago, Scot1 said:

Not sure I would’ve included Dykes for this squad. He’s just coming back from injury and has kicked a ball in a while. I’d have been tempted to call up Ross Stewart, similar type of player to Dykes, could’ve been a chance for Clarke to get a closer look at him.

Could be all part if the club type atmosphere Clarke wants to create. Dykes is a key part of the squad and there hasn’t been a get together for a while. I wouldn’t be surprised if Clarke just wants him to be in and around the squad if possible. Though he did say he may need to be replaced if not up to the required fitness.

30 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Some strange selections but it's probably more to do with fostering the club type atmosphere as you say.

That being said one of O'Donnell/Patterson should have been dropped. While Marshall has been absolutely rank rotten anytime he's played this season. I'd also say we are maybe a CB short aswell.

I suspect the squad selection might have been quite different if we were still playing the playoff. The main one being Ryan Fraser. This was a good opportunity for Clarke to set an example of him. Which I fully endorse. But I definitely want him back in the fold for June.

He said as much for Patterson. He needs games and this is a good chance for him to sharpen up for Everton. 

The one big (non-)call I'm really surprised about is Ralston. He's the only right back that has still been playing regularly. Taylor has played far less games than Ralston, and is in worse form. Plus he has Robertson and Tierney ahead of him. 

6 hours ago, scotlad said:

I am a wee bit surprised he didn't call up another CB, since both Cooper and Souttar are unavailable.  Calling up Taylor is a funny one too, since Hickey is now in the squad.

Other than that, no great surprises.

Maybe he isn't sure if Hickey will turn up and didn't want Taylor to think he was 2nd choice, if he had to call him up after Hickey drops out?

Ralston is a funny one especially as O Donnell and Patterson not playing but saying that can only guess he either didn't impress in training last time or maybe against bigger sides in say Europe struggles or that Juranovic when fit is preferred again in bigger matches which could be in Clarkes thoughts but who knows. 

2 hours ago, syecosse said:

Ralston is a funny one especially as O Donnell and Patterson not playing but saying that can only guess he either didn't impress in training last time or maybe against bigger sides in say Europe struggles or that Juranovic when fit is preferred again in bigger matches which could be in Clarkes thoughts but who knows. 

My guess is that Clarke is very much looking at the future. I personally think Ralston would be a good option for right now, but I reckon Clarke sees O'Donnell as the short term solution, and would rather use him whilst bedding in the long term solution - Patterson. Perhaps that means Ralston isn't really in his plans at all. Even as a back up.

4 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Some strange selections but it's probably more to do with fostering the club type atmosphere as you say.

That being said one of O'Donnell/Patterson should have been dropped. While Marshall has been absolutely rank rotten anytime he's played this season. I'd also say we are maybe a CB short aswell.

Well Marshall has gone off injured tonight so he might be out. Lee Wallace has replaced him in goal, so maybe we could draft him in for an international recall!

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Well Marshall has gone off injured tonight so he might be out. Lee Wallace has replaced him in goal, so maybe we could draft him in for an international recall!

Marshall has been horrendous lately what an odd call up it is anyway. McLaughlin should clearly be in the squad instead of him. 

On 3/16/2022 at 11:22 PM, ProudScot said:

Marshall has been horrendous lately what an odd call up it is anyway. McLaughlin should clearly be in the squad instead of him. 

When was the last time McLaughlin played? Marshall has played a lot since the start of the year and has over 40 caps. He doesn't deserve to be number 1, but he definitely deserves to be there ahead of McLaughlin, who gets sporadic league cup appearances.

Are we down to only 2 recognised Centre backs? Hendry and Hanley. McTominay may be forced into the back 3, if that wasn't the original plan anyway.

4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

When was the last time McLaughlin played? Marshall has played a lot since the start of the year and has over 40 caps. He doesn't deserve to be number 1, but he definitely deserves to be there ahead of McLaughlin, who gets sporadic league cup appearances.

Are we down to only 2 recognised Centre backs? Hendry and Hanley. McTominay may be forced into the back 3, if that wasn't the original plan anyway.

Spot on.

Think of a scenario leading up to the World Cup Play-offs and Gordon gets injured in training just before the match. I'd far sooner have the experience of Marshall between the sticks than the inexperience of McLaughlin.

Edited by Caledonian Craig