Scotland squad - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland squad

mccaughey85

6 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Give it a rest. The situation in rugby makes a mockery of the whole concept behind INTERNATIONAL sport. You should live or die with the SCOTTISH players you have. It makes it all the sweeter when you get a bit of success. To go searching out guys with no afinity to SCOTLAND blurs the lines between international and club football. It actually starts to threaten the existance of international football. What is the point of it, if the qualification rules to play for a country are so lax? What pleasure can you get out of doing well with a lot of guys who don't even consider themselves SCOTTISH. I know some of you will say as long as we win then that is all that matters. So wrong. Club football is there for that. Winning at international football only really means anything if you do it with players who are born here or at the least are commited to us through parentage. Going asking guys who have already commited to engand or any other country defeats the whole concept of international football. Before Che adams gets mentioned, i've already made my feelings known on that topic. 

You will soon forget about che adams once angus gunn starts playing for us lol.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

There would be nothing stopping Clarke paying a visit to Adams and Armstrong, watching a couple of training sessions and then grabbing an informal chat with Livramento in the passing. Feeling wanted can make a huge difference to a human being.

Very good point. There's nae harm in asking. You can bet other  international managers would have no qualms about doing so.

Apparently Ray Houghton ended up representing the Republic of Ireland after Jack Charlton - who had gone to a game to see John Aldridge - discovered he was also eligible and had a chat with him. Houghton went on to play in a European Championships and two World Cup finals.

2 hours ago, thesaint said:

Give it a rest. The situation in rugby makes a mockery of the whole concept behind INTERNATIONAL sport. You should live or die with the SCOTTISH players you have. It makes it all the sweeter when you get a bit of success. To go searching out guys with no afinity to SCOTLAND blurs the lines between international and club football. It actually starts to threaten the existance of international football. What is the point of it, if the qualification rules to play for a country are so lax? What pleasure can you get out of doing well with a lot of guys who don't even consider themselves SCOTTISH. I know some of you will say as long as we win then that is all that matters. So wrong. Club football is there for that. Winning at international football only really means anything if you do it with players who are born here or at the least are commited to us through parentage. Going asking guys who have already commited to engand or any other country defeats the whole concept of international football. Before Che adams gets mentioned, i've already made my feelings known on that topic. 

Totally agree about the residency rules for rugby, they are a joke. However that's not the case for Livremento, he's mum is a Scot. If he doesn't want to play for us fine but I want to know that he's been asked and we don't lose him because someone at SFA can't be bothered to ask. 

4 hours ago, thesaint said:

I totally agree with you...however those days are gone, rightly or wrongly. You either need to get over it or chuck international fitba

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I totally agree with you...however those days are gone, rightly or wrongly. You either need to get over it or chuck international fitba

Those days don't ned to be over for us. Nobody is forcing us to actively chase guys that have already commited to other countries. It's our own choice. 

We always seem to name injured players in our squads as well.

although injured for club and injured for Scotland is not always the same thing.

wasn’t fraser “injured “ for Newcastle for a while but was always in our squads and playing, yet now showing his best form for a few years and not in the squad because of he withdrew and seemed to be fit.

although these games are friendlies we always seem to be hit with mass withdrawals with them and having to go way down lists and name randoms for these games .

1 hour ago, DAVIDB46 said:

We always seem to name injured players in our squads as well.

although injured for club and injured for Scotland is not always the same thing.

wasn’t fraser “injured “ for Newcastle for a while but was always in our squads and playing, yet now showing his best form for a few years and not in the squad because of he withdrew and seemed to be fit.

although these games are friendlies we always seem to be hit with mass withdrawals with them and having to go way down lists and name randoms for these games .

All the withdrawals this time are genuine injuries. Clarke named them in the squad as they are key players or could have done with game time to help them back to full fitness (in Dykes case). Mass withdrawals with nothing knocks are a thing of the pre-Clarke era now I would definitely say.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

All the withdrawals this time are genuine injuries. Clarke named them in the squad as they are key players or could have done with game time to help them back to full fitness (in Dykes case). Mass withdrawals with nothing knocks are a thing of the pre-Clarke era now I would definitely say.

Everybody know how to fake a covid test by now.

40 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

On other sites cynics saying it was fortunate that Robertson and Alexander-Arnold are unavailable during the international break 

6 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

On other sites cynics saying it was fortunate that Robertson and Alexander-Arnold are unavailable during the international break 

Cynics being the keyword here. You'll have to look back a long way to find the last squad Robertson pulled out of for us and he may yet play in the match V Austria or Wales next Tuesday.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Cynics being the keyword here. You'll have to look back a long way to find the last squad Robertson pulled out of for us and he may yet play in the match V Austria or Wales next Tuesday.

Kazakhstan - a day I will never forget.

He might have pulled out of a squad more recently? But that was the big one for me.