Ukraine - Page 69 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/6/2022 at 1:29 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

No point worrying about it, fuck all we can do about it. 

Is the correct answer.

Theres almost no chance of this ever happening anyway, and as you say, there's bugger all that we can do about it. No point worrying for a single second.

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Is the correct answer.

Theres almost no chance of this ever happening anyway, and as you say, there's bugger all that we can do about it. No point worrying for a single second.

Lol "almost no chance of it ever happening"?

Do you actually watch the news or keep up with whats happening? 

Fair enough theres maybe no point in worrying about it but theres a real possibility of nuclear war. Thats a fact.

25 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Fair enough theres maybe no point in worrying about it but theres a real possibility of nuclear war. Thats a fact.

There is always a possibility of Nuclear War when there are so many Nuclear warheads on the planet

That's the crux

There have been umpteen instances where a Nuclear confrontation could have happened by accident since the Cuban missile crisis

The War in Ukraine increases the chances of such an accident but that's about it - it will not happen deliberately

21 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

There is always a possibility of Nuclear War when there are so many Nuclear warheads on the planet

That's the crux

There have been umpteen instances where a Nuclear confrontation could have happened by accident since the Cuban missile crisis

The War in Ukraine increases the chances of such an accident but that's about it - it will not happen deliberately

Yes of course theres always a possibility but right now is by far the closest we have ever been in my lifetime. 

I find it strange ppl want to downplay the situation. Not sure wether its bravado or just plain ignorance/naivety.

Ppl need to understand that nuclear war is realistic possibility. Kidding yourself that its never going to happen is fair enough if your scared or frightened, i can understand that but its not the truth and thats what i pointed out in my previous post.

Putin will not accept russia losing this war which has weakened russia massively. He will go down swinging imo. The only hope is he doesnt strike the scotland or the uk but thats wishful thinking. 

11 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yes of course theres always a possibility but right now is by far the closest we have ever been in my lifetime. 

I find it strange ppl want to downplay the situation. Not sure wether its bravado or just plain ignorance/naivety.

Ppl need to understand that nuclear war is realistic possibility. Kidding yourself that its never going to happen is fair enough if your scared or frightened, i can understand that but its not the truth and thats what i pointed out in my previous post.

Putin will not accept russia losing this war which has weakened russia massively. He will go down swinging imo. The only hope is he doesnt strike the scotland or the uk but thats wishful thinking. 

I really dont know how many of us can explain this any better

However unless you are a billionaire with a multi level, deep, lead lined bunker with decades supply of clean air, food and water there is nothing you can do about a Strategic Nuclear War

So there is no point in worrying or even thinking about it

You can hope it doesnt happen but thats about it

16 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Nae mate, I just watch cartoons and read the Viz. I did hear something about some stuff going on in some far off country, but it was interrupting some chat about Love Island, so didn't pay attention.

LOL #YOLO

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I really dont know how many of us can explain this any better

However unless you are a billionaire with a multi level, deep, lead lined bunker with decades supply of clean air, food and water there is nothing you can do about a Strategic Nuclear War

So there is no point in worrying or even thinking about it

You can hope it doesnt happen but thats about it

I didnt ask you or anybody to keep explaining it any better. I was responding to the kumnio comment that it will never happen. Theres a very good chance it could happen. Fair enough your right not to worry about it but its still something that ppl might want to discuss considering it will directly affect us.

Also you dont need to be a billionaire to survive. Huge Parts of the world will probably be untouched. Theoritically parts of scotland could still be unharmed. Nuclear winter and starvation is what would be the real killer for most of humanity. That can avoided if ppl stock up on food, anti radiation pills etc. 

It seems to me like certain posters dont want to discuss the subject. Thats fair enough, just leave the thread and let the rest us discuss what could potentially happen.

54 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I didnt ask you or anybody to keep explaining it any better. I was responding to the kumnio comment that it will never happen. Theres a very good chance it could happen. Fair enough your right not to worry about it but its still something that ppl might want to discuss considering it will directly affect us.

Also you dont need to be a billionaire to survive. Huge Parts of the world will probably be untouched. Theoritically parts of scotland could still be unharmed. Nuclear winter and starvation is what would be the real killer for most of humanity. That can avoided if ppl stock up on food, anti radiation pills etc. 

It seems to me like certain posters dont want to discuss the subject. Thats fair enough, just leave the thread and let the rest us discuss what could potentially happen.

Which radiation pills do you recommend?

15 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Which radiation pills do you recommend?

Not sure. I havent done any survival prepping but iam seriously considering starting. I am originally from the highlands so i can retreat back up to family there and hope that putin doesnt blast that area. Just a case of convincing my family to stock up on food and survival gear. My mother doesnt believe it will come down to nuclear war but i think she just doesnt want to face up to the reality that theres a possibility it could. 

I know your probably taking the piss but its better to be prepared for the worst outcome and then hope it never happens.

Theres anti radiation pills you can buy on the internet. Usa has been buying crazy amounts of them recently, 290 million dollars worth so its looking like they are taking the threat pretty seriously. 

$290 million of tablets, is 78p per person in the USA.

Granted, I have no idea what an anti radiation tablet costs, but Im willing to stick my neck out and say, that as a collective across the country, 78p of tablets per person will be as effective as shielding from a nuclear blast using a bit of tinfoil the size of a pizza box.

Id recommend flying to South America, certainly not the Highlands of Scotland, which is only a few hundred miles from Faslane, certainly wouldn't be my choice to live in a dystopian nightmare future. Argentina has a lot of cows, so there's an abundance of beef, so wouldn't go hungry.

10 minutes ago, kumnio said:

$290 million of tablets, is 78p per person in the USA.

Granted, I have no idea what an anti radiation tablet costs, but Im willing to stick my neck out and say, that as a collective across the country, 78p of tablets per person will be as effective as shielding from a nuclear blast using a bit of tinfoil the size of a pizza box.

Id recommend flying to South America, certainly not the Highlands of Scotland, which is only a few hundred miles from Faslane, certainly wouldn't be my choice to live in a dystopian nightmare future. Argentina has a lot of cows, so there's an abundance of beef, so wouldn't go hungry.

Not sure where to start with what you have written there. The Usa probably doesnt expect to have the same population after nuclear Armageddon. The radiation pills will just be for survivors plus they have maybe been buying in smaller quantities since the start of this war. 

I am from north of inverness so faslane is along way from me. Not trying to say its completely safe but if putin keeps his bombs to england and even strikes faslane and the central belt then ppl in the very north of scotland(sutherland and caithness) probably dont need to worry about the blast or the immediate radiation fallout in the surrounding areas. What ppl in the very north of scotland would need to worry about is radiation particles and contamination being carried up by the cloud system.

If thats the case then its possible for ppl to survive the inevitable nuclear winter if they have stocked up on tinned foods and anti radiation pills. 

Its nice you want to discuss this subject but perhaps a little thought into what your actually saying would be best. The idea that these radiation pills are to be shared out to all america and the idea that these will be all they have is a strange one.

8 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not sure where to start with what you have written there. The Usa probably doesnt expect to have the same population after nuclear Armageddon. The radiation pills will just be for survivors plus they have maybe been buying in smaller quantities since the start of this war. 

I am from north of inverness so faslane is along way from me. Not trying to say its completely safe but if putin keeps his bombs to england and even strikes faslane and the central belt then ppl in the very north of scotland(sutherland and caithness) probably dont need to worry about the blast or the immediate radiation fallout in the surrounding areas. What ppl in the very north of scotland would need to worry about is radiation particles and contamination being carried up by the cloud system.

If thats the case then its possible for ppl to survive the inevitable nuclear winter if they have stocked up on tinned foods and anti radiation pills. 

Its nice you want to discuss this subject but perhaps a little thought into what your actually saying would be best. The idea that these radiation pills are to be shared out to all america and the idea that these will be all they have is a strange one.

According to this article, Kiev city council is preparing evacuation centres stocked with 'Potassium Iodine' pills '...which can help against radiation absorption, in the event of a nuclear strike on the capital.'
https://thehill.com/policy/international/3673471-ukraine-capital-preparing-evacuation-centers-for-possible-nuclear-strike/

I don't know, but maybe it would be prudent to prepare similar centres, stocked up with the same type of pills, upwind of Faslane?

8 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Are you implying that the USA secretly wants to reduce its population, down to a more manageable saveable number? They only plan on saving a small percentage of lucky people? Now its starting to make sense, these ideas/plans have been circulated for decades, but were never able to implemented, now they might be able to get there.

When it comes to a nuclear winter, personally speaking, Id rather be at ground zero of the striker, what a way to go, blasted in a second. Its certainly better than living out moths or years of abject misery, starvation, poisoning and smuggling to get by every day. Although going by Russias inability to hit a target with a missile from 10 miles away, I can only imagine that them aiming a nuclear warhead at Faslane, you might be at more risk in Inverness than standing at Faslanes gates.

Id say that the people in the North of Scotland probably need to worry about the price of gas an electricity, rather than a nuclear strike, at least that would be warm and cozy for a minute. True you might not see much after the blast, but think of the energy savings in the short term.

Living on tinned goods an radiation pills, sorry, thats a hard pass from me. 

I will try and put a little thought into the end of the world, its probably for the best. 👍 Its not something that Ive given enough serious thought to TBH, but now seems to be the time.

1 minute ago, mcguffin said:

According to this article, Kiev city council is preparing evacuation centres stocked with 'Potassium Iodine' pills '...which can help against radiation absorption, in the event of a nuclear strike on the capital.'
https://thehill.com/policy/international/3673471-ukraine-capital-preparing-evacuation-centers-for-possible-nuclear-strike/

I don't know, but maybe it would be prudent to prepare similar centres, stocked up with the same type of pills, upwind of Faslane?

Are you just writing off the folk who are down wind? What if the wind changes direction?

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You would be better opting for a cyanide pill. You'll only need one of them.

Depends where its made though. If its Russian its probably past its use by date, if its Chinese it will be filled with chalk.

Best buying British to be safe.

They would destroy all the platforms in the North Sea and everywhere else and Aberdeen as the main harbour / service hub and every pipeline to and from. Where is that massive oil complex in Shetland is it? Sullum voe? You think that will escape or Lossiemouth or any base retired or active or any part of Scotland that has any geographical strategic importance? Royal deeside will be left untouched will it. The natural deep sea harbors to the north of Scotland the British navy are so fond of?

There is a reason Scotland was not allowed her independence. We are geographically highly strategically important to our yank friends. Same reasons that make us a massive target. They don’t give a fuck about us.

1 minute ago, mcguffin said:

Maybe. I aint an expert on wind patterns and there isnt a huge population north of faslane. If faslane was hit then i am guessing glasgow could be in serious trouble depending on the size of bomb and the fallout. If its a small bomb then maybe glasgow could survive the fallout.

My hope is that if this does go all out nuclear is that scotland doesnt get hit and as many ppl stockpile food and anti radiation meds as possible. 

My advice would be to stock up now before the panick buying starts. If putin decides to use a tactical nuke then ppl will start to panick big time.

4 minutes ago, thplinth said:

They would destroy all the platforms in the North Sea and everywhere else and Aberdeen as the main harbour / service hub and every pipeline to and from. Where is that massive oil complex in Shetland is it? Sullum voe? You think that will escape or Lossiemouth or any base retired or active or any part of Scotland that has any geographical strategic importance? Royal deeside will be left untouched will it. The natural deep sea harbors to the north of Scotland the British navy are so fond of?

There is a reason Scotland was not allowed her independence. We are geographically highly strategically important to our yank friends. Same reasons that make us a massive target. They don’t give a fuck about us.

You reckon they would use nukes to do that? Maybe they would, i genuinely wouldnt know.

Also theres probably alot of targets in america and across the globe that russia has its sights on first. My hope is if they do go all out nuclear that it wont be every single bomb in their arsenal that gets used and eventually some kind of sanity will return once both america and russia have blown each other to bits. 

13 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Are you implying that the USA secretly wants to reduce its population, down to a more manageable saveable number? They only plan on saving a small percentage of lucky people? Now its starting to make sense, these ideas/plans have been circulated for decades, but were never able to implemented, now they might be able to get there.

When it comes to a nuclear winter, personally speaking, Id rather be at ground zero of the striker, what a way to go, blasted in a second. Its certainly better than living out moths or years of abject misery, starvation, poisoning and smuggling to get by every day. Although going by Russias inability to hit a target with a missile from 10 miles away, I can only imagine that them aiming a nuclear warhead at Faslane, you might be at more risk in Inverness than standing at Faslanes gates.

Id say that the people in the North of Scotland probably need to worry about the price of gas an electricity, rather than a nuclear strike, at least that would be warm and cozy for a minute. True you might not see much after the blast, but think of the energy savings in the short term.

Living on tinned goods an radiation pills, sorry, thats a hard pass from me. 

I will try and put a little thought into the end of the world, its probably for the best. 👍 Its not something that Ive given enough serious thought to TBH, but now seems to be the time.

Personally i dont mind battling through an apocalypse as long as my family have enough to eat and are out of harms way. 

I am not suggesting usa are looking to reduce their numbers. They will be realistic about nuclear Armageddon and will realise they wont all make it out alive from the initial massacre that these bombs will cause.

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Personally i dont mind battling through an apocalypse as long as my family have enough to eat and are out of harms way. 

Lolz

Worry about surviving the first few hours of a Nuclear War rather than worrying about what you will do if you dont

4 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Lolz

Worry about surviving the first few hours of a Nuclear War rather than worrying about what you will do if you dont

I am confused by what you mean there. 

theres not much point in worrying about the actual bombs. If one strikes near to me then i am fucked. No denying that. If they dont strike near to me then i hope to battle through the aftermath and come out the other side.

With the right survival prep work that should be possible for most of us that avoid direct bombing.