Squad for Israel/Faroe Islands Double Header - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad for Israel/Faroe Islands Double Header

Caledonian Craig

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Ralston has got 2 goals and an assist in 5 league games I'll come back to you on the others when they have played 25 games(shame some of them won't)

I suppose the fact that Morgan is suggested shows just how weak we are on the right.

What's the deal with Matt Phillips, has he chucked international football?  He's no world beater, I know, but he's on form at the moment for a strong West Bromwich Albion team and he can play on the right wing (I'd be tempted to play 4-2-3-1 against Israel or with a back four anyway; we always struggle against them when we play with a three).

9 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Armstrong, Mcgregor and Fraser aren’t kicking a ball just now. Not sure how they will be match fit for this. 

It is a bit strange that he didn't pick a bigger squad, right enough.

I can fully understand not wanting to make too many changes, given we're within touching distance of making the play-offs but it's possible, if not likely, that none of those players will be fit in time to feature at all (and that's before we factor in any other injuries that might happen between then and now) meaning he'll have to try and bring in replacements, which isn't easy to do at present.

Edited by scotlad

56 minutes ago, scotlad said:

What's the deal with Matt Phillips, has he chucked international football?  He's no world beater, I know, but he's on form at the moment for a strong West Bromwich Albion team and he can play on the right wing (I'd be tempted to play 4-2-3-1 against Israel or with a back four anyway; we always struggle against them when we play with a three).

Think he was either dropped or not picked after an injury two years ago. Still only 30 and always puts a shift in. Saw him play v QPR last week and played fairly well. A few more goals may have helped but could probably say that about quite a few of our players. 

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The last squad was to cater for three matches spread over almost a week whereas this is for two games spread over three days.

Exactly - there’s no time to call up replacements if anything happens which as the last set of matches proved, it easily does. 

12 hours ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Think he was either dropped or not picked after an injury two years ago. Still only 30 and always puts a shift in. Saw him play v QPR last week and played fairly well. A few more goals may have helped but could probably say that about quite a few of our players. 

Thanks.

It's funny that he's been overlooked. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Exactly - there’s no time to call up replacements if anything happens which as the last set of matches proved, it easily does. 

There is time to call-up replacements - as we saw with Paul McGinn after three players (I think it was) pulled out of the squad after the Moldova match with just three days before the Austria match. That window would be the same here.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

There is time to call-up replacements - as we saw with Paul McGinn after three players (I think it was) pulled out of the squad after the Moldova match with just three days before the Austria match. That window would be the same here.

As we saw in the last set of Matches due to covid testing it’s virtually impossible to call up replacements in time and get them tested especially for away trips. 

15 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I’m unsure the point you’re making when Steve Clarke himself said they’d tried numerous players and couldn’t get them due to testing etc

The last configuration of games were far different if you recall. Our first game was away in Denmark and that was when players were ruled out due to COVID so potential replacements could not travel abroad to join the squad due to travel restrictions. That will not be a problem this time. Our first game will be against Israel at home and should there be COVID call-offs then no issue with travel restrictions as the squad will still be in Scotland. The squad will get COVID checks before flying to the Faroes so it is not an issue.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Just now, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

That was for a home game. Against Israel we'll be fine to bring replacements but it will be extremely difficult to bring in replacements for Faroes away.

Faroe Islands will probably have similar restrictions to what Denmark have.

The squad will be tested during their time together and no doubt prior to flying out to the Faroes. If anyone tests positive then replacement can be brought in before the flight out.

I think Fraser, McGregor and Armstrong are at different stages of fitness. From reports McGregor will play tomorrow and/or Sunday. My guess is McGregor will start against Israel with McTominay in defence. If not fit to start, McT can move to midfield. 

From what I see Fraser has been fit to be in Newcastle squad for a couple of weeks at least.  He is not starting but I wouldn't expect him to start against Israel either.

Armstrong is the one that surprised me. Clarke must think he will get some minutes for Southampton. 

The squad size seems fine to me for 2 games.  Slightly surprised there is no cover at left back/left wing back but otherwise it looks ok.

Just now, Michael said:

Armstrong is the one that surprised me. Clarke must think he will get some minutes for Southampton. 

The squad size seems fine to me for 2 games.  Slightly surprised there is no cover at left back/left wing back but otherwise it looks ok.

Well if Armstrong is still injured then Southampton would be within their right to block the call-up. Since they haven't suggests his injury is not ruling him out of matches. Rumour even abound amongst Saints fans that he is just out of favour with the boss.

On 9/28/2021 at 5:31 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

Gauld seems to become a better player after every squad. 

I'd say Morgab would get a call up before gauld too given hes been in before and playing well at same level.

Gauld plays in the same MLS where the useless Klimala has been scoring freely, saying how it is a better league than the SPL where he flopped. Make of that what you will.

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Gauld plays in the same MLS where the useless Klimala has been scoring freely, saying how it is a better league than the SPL where he flopped. Make of that what you will.

Duffy looked abysmal in the Scottish Prem last season yet has looked solid so far in the EPL this season. Does that mean the Scottish Prem is better than the English Prem? Of course not

On 9/28/2021 at 4:43 PM, Malcolm said:

team will be

Gordon

odonnel   Hendry Cooper tierney robertson

Mctominay gilmour

Mcginn

Adams dykes

bang on