Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 387 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

45 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Also it's important to keep continuity in a team  

Let’s continue our seven games without a win run. 
We might scrape out of the group stage and Clarke will become a national treasure but we could also go another seven games without a win. 
Feel sorry for Clarke the way things are looking, but anyone who thinks he played Ferguson and Shankland enough or tried out all his positional options in our last seven games has their head in the sand. 

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

We might scrape out of the group stage and Clarke will become a national treasure but we could also go another seven games without a win. 
Feel sorry for Clarke the way things are looking, but anyone who thinks he played Ferguson and Shankland enough or tried out all his positional options in our last seven games has their head in the sand. 

I 100% agree with your comment here. 

I thought the issue was very evident when Craig Gordon broke his leg and we had not been giving any of the other's meaningful opportunities, getting Gunn to commit got us out of jail but it highlighted there was a risk with Clarke's MO.  We had friendlies, and other matches where we were comfortable, take the opportunity to give others more game time than the odd 5 minutes here and there.  The recent friendlies were a golden opportunity to try different options in a few 'zero' risk matches.  We all got humbled regardless.   

11 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

When you consider who those games was against then it's not that bad. 

What matters is we qualified with 2 games to spare. That to me suggests the squad and players Clarke has picked are correct and allowing them to continue to play together was always going to be a strong option rather than testing new players.

I find ppl on here criticizing him for keeping a bit of continuity strange. It's all very well saying he should of done this or picked this guy. 

The squad Clarke picked is the same squad that got us unprecedented success in qualifying. Qualifying with 2 games to spare must one of our greatest achievements. Why would Clarke start an overhaul and start bringing in 4 or 5 new guys. 

Did you want Clarke to bring in 4 or 5 new(guys who are uncapped) guys for our last 7 games or did you want continuity with the squad? Try and be honest with your answer.

All I personally wanted was shankland and Ferguson to be given a chance which they got, albeit I think they should have gotten more gametime but that would mean less gametime for our guys who win us matches.(Mcginn and mctominay).

Bringing in new guys and testing them out in matches that we wanted to do well in was highly unlikely and you are only suggesting this now that 1. We got bad results

2. We have a potential injury crisis

Stop using the benefit of hindsight to unfairly bash Clarke.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I 100% agree with your comment here. 

I thought the issue was very evident when Craig Gordon broke his leg and we had not been giving any of the other's meaningful opportunities, getting Gunn to commit got us out of jail but it highlighted there was a risk with Clarke's MO.  We had friendlies, and other matches where we were comfortable, take the opportunity to give others more game time than the odd 5 minutes here and there.  The recent friendlies were a golden opportunity to try different options in a few 'zero' risk matches.  We all got humbled regardless.   

Eh? Your criticizing Clarke for not trying out new players yet he manages to get Gunn to commit to us and plays him straight away and basically saves us from having to rely on utter dross for probably the next 5+ years. 

Lol this place is hard work at times.

As I said with the previous post you are saying this now with hindsight.

Did you want loads of new players brought in for the last 7 games?

I don't remember anyone on here suggesting trying out new guys in the squad. 

I didn't, I felt that the guys who had us qualified with 2 games to spare deserved a chance at playing the big nations and showing they can continue our good form. It was only Ferguson and shankland that ppl wanted to be given more chances and they did.

Edited by mccaughey85

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Eh? Your criticizing Clarke for not trying out new players yet he manages to get Gunn to commit to us and plays him straight away and basically saves us from having to rely on utter dross for probably the next 5+ years. 

Lol this place is hard work at times.

As I said with the previous post you are saying this now with hindsight.

Did you want loads of new players brought in for the last 7 games?

I don't remember anyone on here suggesting trying out new guys in the squad. 

I didn't, I felt that the guys who had us qualified with 2 games to spare deserved a chance at playing the big nations and showing they can continue our good form. It was only Ferguson and shankland that ppl wanted to be given more chances and they did.

Yes, if Gunn, a player who earlier rejected playing for Scotland had not changed his position, we would likely have not qualified. I cannot be dogmatic about that, but from a pre-injury Gordon to the other keepers, it is a significant drop and not helped by the fact they hardly had any opportunities.  I wouldn't move the needle to the other extreme, but we had chances for larger squads to call lads up and train with them at the very least. The goalkeeper situation served as a warning, IMO to have called up others and look at them up close.  My fear is with only two matches before the EURO's some will be discounted because it's considered too close and guys who are passed it like Cooper might get drafted in, who I think is a waste of a spot and was a waste of a spot in March. 

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

When you consider who those games was against then it's not that bad. 

What matters is we qualified with 2 games to spare. That to me suggests the squad and players Clarke has picked are correct and allowing them to continue to play together was always going to be a strong option rather than testing new players.

I find ppl on here criticizing him for keeping a bit of continuity strange. It's all very well saying he should of done this or picked this guy. 

The squad Clarke picked is the same squad that got us unprecedented success in qualifying. Qualifying with 2 games to spare must one of our greatest achievements. Why would Clarke start an overhaul and start bringing in 4 or 5 new guys. 

Did you want Clarke to bring in 4 or 5 new(guys who are uncapped) guys for our last 7 games or did you want continuity with the squad? Try and be honest with your answer.

All I personally wanted was shankland and Ferguson to be given a chance which they got, albeit I think they should have gotten more gametime but that would mean less gametime for our guys who win us matches.(Mcginn and mctominay).

Bringing in new guys and testing them out in matches that we wanted to do well in was highly unlikely and you are only suggesting this now that 1. We got bad results

2. We have a potential injury crisis

Stop using the benefit of hindsight to unfairly bash Clarke.

Nothing to do with hindsight I and many others suggested this long before the current injury crisis if you check the Steve Clarke thread. 

17 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Nothing to do with hindsight I and many others suggested this long before the current injury crisis if you check the Steve Clarke thread. 

Did you purposely miss point number 1?

Yeh ppl started suggesting Clarke should have tried new players out AFTER our run of bad results. 

It was only after we started getting bad results that ppl started getting critical of Clarke and suggested new players should have been tried out. 

I don't understand this mindset. I ain't going to criticise Clarke for something that I didn't want. 

Maybe you could show me the quotes of ppl who wanted new players(uncapped) tried out before the England game or even the Spain game.

Looks like Turnbull had another poor game for Cardiff, losing 5-2 to bottom of the league. 

There was a wide open space for him in the squad but don’t see how he can justify a place. 

Disappointing that Conway and McCrorie also don’t seem to have played well in their final game. Both off at 57 mins after going 4-0 down. They’ve both got a chance of call ups too. 

Shankland, again, dropping really deep today. He had one half chance from outside the box towards the end and sent it way over. Not the best time to be out of form but I know that can change quickly. Plus, Hearts almost certainly have 3rd place sealed so there is something a bit dead rubbersish about their games now.

7 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Shankland, again, dropping really deep today. He had one half chance from outside the box towards the end and sent it way over. Not the best time to be out of form but I know that can change quickly. Plus, Hearts almost certainly have 3rd place sealed so there is something a bit dead rubbersish about their games now.

Sounded like he missed a sitter in the first minute, played Kyogo onside for the first goal, then gave the penalty away for the third. Not a great day in the office for him.

7 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Sounded like he missed a sitter in the first minute, played Kyogo onside for the first goal, then gave the penalty away for the third. Not a great day in the office for him.

He did give away the penalty, yes. I'm not that bothered about that really. I started watching ten minutes in so I didn't see the first chance.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

1st minute he was involved in a good move, ball got cut back to him and he hit the target. CCV blocked the shot but he was one of maybe 3 celtic defenders and the GK to try and beat so was more like a half chance than a sitter. 

He was on the post for the Celtic goal so hardly to blame for playing somebody onside. 

Penalty was a bad one. Think he threw his hand up to protect his face but ball actually wasnt hitting it.

Clark made lots of good saves but imo was to blame for Celtics 2nd goal. Long ball forward, was always going to land inside his box but he stayed on 6 yard box and was in no mans land when the shot was made.

On 5/1/2024 at 9:27 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Very accurate 👍🏾

1 hour ago, LoganRoy said:

Jarrell Quansah starts for Liverpool today, RCH.

Blimey, didn't know he was eligible for Scotland.

Not too sure what to make of him. Sometimes looks good and composed on the ball but can have the odd occasional brain fart moment. Early days still I suppose.