Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 376 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

Not sure if been posted elsewhere but interview with Harvey Barnes who says he wants to get into England squad, dont see that happening but rules him out for a Scotland call up if that is his mindset:

https://www.tntsports.co.uk/football/premier-league/2023-2024/harvey-barnes-exclusive-midfielder-outlines-dream-england-ambitions-says-bruno-guimaraes-committed-t_sto10098883/story.shtml

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

A player eligible for us who was not interested and ended up playing for Republic of Ireland. He took pelters on here.

That isn't the point that's being made though. Todd and I were referring to players ostensibly from other countries who opted to play for Scotland.

Todd was suggesting there wouldn't be the same kind of over-reaction if the 'other country' was anywhere but England, and used Spain as an example. I agree with him.

McGeady is from Scotland but opted to play for another country. He's the polar opposite of the type of person we were referring to.

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

That isn't the point that's being made though. Todd and I were referring to players ostensibly from other countries who opted to play for Scotland.

Todd was suggesting there wouldn't be the same kind of over-reaction if the 'other country' was anywhere but England, and used Spain as an example. I agree with him.

McGeady is from Scotland but opted to play for another country. He's the polar opposite of the type of person we were referring to.

Sorry but where have people born in England who represented us been given pelters. Not seen any of that. They get no more pelters than Scots-born players.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

25 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sorry but where have people born in England who represented us been given pelters. Not seen any of that. They get no more pelters than Scots-born players.

Sorry if I've misunderstood but weren't you the one that mentioned anyone getting pelters?  And the one you mentioned was McGeady and he took pelters for turning his back on his actual country, not for representing us as a last resort.

Also I feel I've used the word 'pelters' too many times now and it sounds weird

2 hours ago, todd said:

McBurnie captain today, must've screwed the nut a bit in the last while for that to happen, you'd think

Watched him today and whilst Sheffield Utd were dung, Ollie.didn’t shine. I guess he ‘led the line’ but didn’t really do anything apart from a couple of decent touches from long balls and a decent diving header……… at his own end 😆

I was drifting towards him ahead of dykes but less sure now, Adams & Shankland go I think…..  3rd striker I dunno.

7 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

Watched him today and whilst Sheffield Utd were dung, Ollie.didn’t shine. I guess he ‘led the line’ but didn’t really do anything apart from a couple of decent touches from long balls and a decent diving header……… at his own end 😆

I was drifting towards him ahead of dykes but less sure now, Adams & Shankland go I think…..  3rd striker I dunno.

I'd put my mortgage on Adams, Shankland and Dykes. I love Dykes and what he's done for us (Norway game in particular, legendary) but in all honesty he probably shouldn't be going, based on current form and even if he does, chances are he won't play anyway so why not take a punt on the likes of Conway or Doak? 

If nothing else it'll be a great experience for them.  May as well not give them a game at the tournament than not give Dykes a game 🤔

1 hour ago, todd said:

Sorry if I've misunderstood but weren't you the one that mentioned anyone getting pelters?  And the one you mentioned was McGeady and he took pelters for turning his back on his actual country, not for representing us as a last resort.

I think he's having a debate with himself.

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

Im watching Man Utd v Bournemouth and Christie is everywhere. Im shocked honestly Clarke didn't switch him and McTominay around in our last matches. 

Christie is having a good game. It's clear that he is now firmly a central midfielder; why Clarke played him in an attacking midfield role when he no longer plays there for his club and no longer appears to have the pace to play there effectively is something only Clarke can answer.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Christie is having a good game. It's clear that he is now firmly a central midfielder; why Clarke played him in an attacking midfield role when he no longer plays there for his club and no longer appears to have the pace to play there effectively is something only Clarke can answer.

Incredible isn't it. A player with great work ethic who uses the ball well & also defends arguably better than any of our other midfielders not getting a chance to play there 

5 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Incredible isn't it. A player with great work ethic who uses the ball well & also defends arguably better than any of our other midfielders not getting a chance to play there 

It's not that incredible when you consider his main position that he's played his whole career has been attacking midfield.

Saying that I think Clarke needs to consider him for central or defensive midfield sooner rather than later as it's clear he can play that role well.

Dembele with another goal for Blackpool yesterday. That's 7 goals and 11 assists in the league this season. 

He's only just turned 21 as well. Probably a good chance he ends up playing for us or the ivory coast if he keeps progressing. 

Not exactly very keen on him after all his switching between England and Scotland but we do tend to lack attacking wingers with pace and flair so I could maybe see him being a useful addition in the future if he turns into a decent player. 

14 hours ago, todd said:

Well your original point about how a 'foreign' player who was not good enough to play for Spain and chose us would be fine for our supporters and just the English-born 'rejects' that Scots object to does not add up. I see Cooper and Adams presently are warmly supported. In the past we have had the same with the likes of James Morrison, Graham Alexander, Stuart McCall and others stretching way back. I think this anti-English mindset some people (me included) have very wrongly been accused of is by some of our support gleefully pushing Gordon, Barnes, Livramento, Archie Gray and others for Scotland call-ups when they are, in fact, proud Englishmen with a burning desire to represent England and I say good on them. Play for where your heart and nationality dictates it is what international football is meant to be about. Our support hold no bias it supports and sometimes criticises some unequivocally and not based on where they may have been born.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

59 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well your original point about how a 'foreign' player who was not good enough to play for Spain and chose us would be fine for our supporters and just the English-born 'rejects' that Scots object to does not add up. I see Cooper and Adams presently are warmly supported. In the past we have had the same with the likes of James Morrison, Graham Alexander, Stuart McCall and others stretching way back. I think this anti-English mindset some people (me included) have very wrongly been accused of is by some of our support gleefully pushing Gordon, Barnes, Livramento, Archie Gray and others for Scotland call-ups when they are, in fact, proud Englishmen with a burning desire to represent England and I say good on them. Play for where your heart and nationality dictates it is what international football is meant to be about. Our support hold no bias it supports and sometimes criticises some unequivocally and not based on where they may have been born.

Angus Gunn is a very proud Englishman playing for Scotland and we have warmed to him very well

Just now, ProudScot said:

Angus Gunn is a very proud Englishman playing for Scotland and we have warmed to him very well

Yes, as he has committed to play for us. It is this arrogant presumption that we have some sort of a shopping list of players like Barnes, Livramento, Gordon, Gray and others that we have some sort of right to even though they are quite clearly committed to England. Good on them, move on and leave them in peace to get on with their international career with England.

45 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes, as he has committed to play for us. It is this arrogant presumption that we have some sort of a shopping list of players like Barnes, Livramento, Gordon, Gray and others that we have some sort of right to even though they are quite clearly committed to England. Good on them, move on and leave them in peace to get on with their international career with England.

Some players because of their heritage/where they have been brought up would be proud to, and would give 100% to representing more than country. It’s not that difficult. 

We should support these players unless they actively don’t want to play for us (Gordon and probably Barnes fall into this category). I don’t think anyone is suggesting that they have any right to play for us over England. 

From interviews and reading about Livramento, he’d be proud to represent 3 countries. We should obviously be hoping he plays for us. 

2 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Some players because of their heritage/where they have been brought up would be proud to, and would give 100% to representing more than country. It’s not that difficult. 

We should support these players unless they actively don’t want to play for us (Gordon and probably Barnes fall into this category). I don’t think anyone is suggesting that they have any right to play for us over England. 

From interviews and reading about Livramento, he’d be proud to represent 3 countries. We should obviously be hoping he plays for us. 

Livramento has been in the press quite recently speaking of his England ambitions. Other articles out there too like the one below and he is already and England international at several levels:-

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/kieran-trippier-eddie-howe-southampton-magpies-manchester-city-b2510341.html

2 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

I was sure that Barnes was getting a mention near the end of last year because there was some indication that he would be interested in Scotland? I know he bigged up England more recently though