Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 370 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

5 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

The bit in bold is what i've been thinking for a wee while. The previous Euros tournament, we failed miserably against Croatia and Czech Rep and would hate us to wimp out in the same manner. There wasn't much we could do with the team then but nowadays there are a few options we could of tried out recently that could of benefited us but Clarke hasn't bothered at all to try out anything new, really frustrating

The style of high press against Netherlands was a new style of play for us & it was really impressive for 70 minutes, I actually hope Clarke doesn't abandon it & is brave enough to try it against Germany.

Apart from that though Clarke starts & sticks to his favourite sons even during friendlies, there's too many examples of that to deny it.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

I think defensively, there isn't much between the players so he prefers continuity. As long as Hendry isn't playing in the centre, I won't be too disappointed. Despite his exemplary attitude,  the inclusion of Dykes is becoming increasingly hard to justify. SOD also had a great attitude but he didn't hesitate to drop him. 

I agree with you about Dykes but especially about Souttar & Hendry, for me I'd trust Souttar a lot more one on one against a physical opponent . I'm not sure there's much in them on the ball, both pretty good but both got a mistake in them. Hendry has his arms all over opponents way too much, he makes me very nervous & will give away soft penalties I'm convinced it's only a matter of time before he costs us. I'm not saying Souttar or anyone else is far superior but would feel much more comfortable with a stronger defender in the middle of the 3 & like you said if Hendry plays keep him on the right.

24 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

I agree with you about Dykes but especially about Souttar & Hendry, for me I'd trust Souttar a lot more one on one against a physical opponent . I'm not sure there's much in them on the ball, both pretty good but both got a mistake in them. Hendry has his arms all over opponents way too much, he makes me very nervous & will give away soft penalties I'm convinced it's only a matter of time before he costs us. I'm not saying Souttar or anyone else is far superior but would feel much more comfortable with a stronger defender in the middle of the 3 & like you said if Hendry plays keep him on the right.

They are all pretty bad for this level whichever way you look at it, we could really do with someone coming through in this position

3 hours ago, theabsentee said:

The style of high press against Netherlands was a new style of play for us & it was really impressive for 70 minutes, I actually hope Clarke doesn't abandon it & is brave enough to try it against Germany.

Apart from that though Clarke starts & sticks to his favourite sons even during friendlies, there's too many examples of that to deny it.

I have a slight worry that the Dutch turned up for a friendly (like us vs N.Ireland), and we caught them by surprise a little.

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

Armstrong, Fraser and Adams all start for Southampton (v Ipswich).

LIVE on Sky at 5.30pm

Goal Adams and marvellous assist from Armstrong for the second.

10 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

I think defensively, there isn't much between the players so he prefers continuity. As long as Hendry isn't playing in the centre, I won't be too disappointed. Despite his exemplary attitude,  the inclusion of Dykes is becoming increasingly hard to justify. SOD also had a great attitude but he didn't hesitate to drop him. 

He didn’t hesitate to drop SOD!?

SOD is absolutely shiter than shite and has about 30 international caps! 😂

3 hours ago, theabsentee said:

🤣 Proving again what a good player he is, he could easily start for us allowing Christie to play in his best position , deeper🤞

Pigs will fly before Clarke puts him in at CDM, the opportunity to do it was against Holland and he played him high up the pitch (tbf played well but we have others that could of done this role also) 

10 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He didn’t hesitate to drop SOD!?

SOD is absolutely shiter than shite and has about 30 international caps! 😂

I was saying that he's more ruthless than people think. SOD was his best option but he was ready to drop him as soon as something better came along. He could do the same with Dykes.

16 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

They are all pretty bad for this level whichever way you look at it, we could really do with someone coming through in this position

Yeah they're all basically championship level/lower EPL level (at best) defenders really so you worry they'll get found out at some point. Clarke was always good at keeping us solid at the back but that's gone out the window recently.

8 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Pigs will fly before Clarke puts him in at CDM, the opportunity to do it was against Holland and he played him high up the pitch (tbf played well but we have others that could of done this role also) 

Exactly & this at a time we are crying out for natural defensive midfielders to help protect our average central defenders.

5 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

I was saying that he's more ruthless than people think. SOD was his best option but he was ready to drop him as soon as something better came along. He could do the same with Dykes.

Patterson was sitting on the bench at the Euros when SOD was starting games and there was a debate over whether he should be starting over SOD. 

He definitely has a ruthless streak, that's not in question but for me, he doesn't like changing the team up too much in order to keep it as settled as possible. That is fine when things are going well but all good teams adapt over the course of a season or campaign whereas I feel like we are starting to stagnate a little where teams are sussing us out

3 Scots starting in the Glasgow derby today: Taylor, Wright and Souttar. There is a pretty good chance none of them will make the final Euros squad.

I almost created a new topic about this. I really can't see why the SFA would not think a homegrown player rule would be a good idea. If the 2 richest teams in Scotland had an incentive to spend their money on Scots, then a lot of the money they generate would stay in Scotland, rather than going to other countries.

Imagine a rule existed right now. Celtic and Rangers would end up in a bidding war for Lennon Miller at the end of the season. Rangers might have made more of an effort to sign Shankland in January. Both Hearts and Motherwell would  benefit financially. They would then reinvest in developing more Scots to replace the ones they lost.

13 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

3 Scots starting in the Glasgow derby today: Taylor, Wright and Souttar. There is a pretty good chance none of them will make the final Euros squad.

I almost created a new topic about this. I really can't see why the SFA would not think a homegrown player rule would be a good idea. If the 2 richest teams in Scotland had an incentive to spend their money on Scots, then a lot of the money they generate would stay in Scotland, rather than going to other countries.

Imagine a rule existed right now. Celtic and Rangers would end up in a bidding war for Lennon Miller at the end of the season. Rangers might have made more of an effort to sign Shankland in January. Both Hearts and Motherwell would  benefit financially. They would then reinvest in developing more Scots to replace the ones they lost.

More likely go for Barry bannan and calum Paterson. 

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Old firm not Glasgow derby ya fanny 🤣