Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 368 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

He's the most english out all of the Newcastle lot but probably the one we actually need the most.

17 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He, along with Geordie mates, have long since pinned their St George to the mast. Move on.

If we end up with 26 man squads, I can see there being 1 surprise.

Barnes and Fraser would give us the width we lack if going to a back 4!

The one we probably need is Livramento should Hickey not make it.

41 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Had a look what Sheff UTD fans had to say about McBurnie this morning after yesterday's match in which he was Man of the match, lots of fans saying how good he is for them especially when fit.

They seem pretty resigned to losing him in the summer.

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

They seem pretty resigned to losing him in the summer.

His scoring record this season is the same as two of our forwards but he's at a higher level. There's an argument for a call up there

I'm up for McBurnie to be giving another shot at the lone striker role as you could argue he's improved since his last game for Scotland and we are crying out for someone else.

However, it looks like he has missed the boat since he's not been picked for the recent frendlies.

Has Clarke been asked by the media regarding his thoughts on him? This is something he should be questioned over anyway.

On the other hand, Mcburnie has been given a lot of chances in the past and never took it and could be a liability as is prone to bookings and red cards

54 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I'm up for McBurnie to be giving another shot at the lone striker role as you could argue he's improved since his last game for Scotland and we are crying out for someone else.

However, it looks like he has missed the boat since he's not been picked for the recent frendlies.

Has Clarke been asked by the media regarding his thoughts on him? This is something he should be questioned over anyway.

On the other hand, Mcburnie has been given a lot of chances in the past and never took it and could be a liability as is prone to bookings and red cards

I would argue more that the players around him have improved. Maybe his brother getting diagnosed with cancer will finally get him to screw the nut. 
can’t see him getting called up now and it’s one of the things I was concerned about Clarke with the recent friendlies Not calling up more strikers considering the form of the usual two and the uncertainty about Shankland at a higher level. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

His scoring record this season is the same as two of our forwards but he's at a higher level. There's an argument for a call up there

Preaching to the converted. McBurnie in really good form and just at the right time as opposed to one or two of our other forwards. Could almost be a wildcard for us. .Give us a different option up front. Not too sure Clarke could force himself to try something different though. 

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He, along with Geordie mates, have long since pinned their St George to the mast. Move on.

It seemed more or less an open secret that Barnes was going to switch to Scotland, to the extent that it was a real surprise he wasn’t in the squad for the recent friendlies.

TBH I expect he is the only one we will end up getting in the end. He’s 26 and running out of time to have a real international career. Gordon has cracked into the England squad and promptly said we were never an option for him (whether true or not). Livramento will still fancy his chances of getting England caps. Anderson - doubt he is coming back, given his past behaviour, but who knows?

2 minutes ago, Yr Alban said:

It seemed more or less an open secret that Barnes was going to switch to Scotland, to the extent that it was a real surprise he wasn’t in the squad for the recent friendlies.

TBH I expect he is the only one we will end up getting in the end. He’s 26 and running out of time to have a real international career. Gordon has cracked into the England squad and promptly said we were never an option for him (whether true or not). Livramento will still fancy his chances of getting England caps. Anderson - doubt he is coming back, given his past behaviour, but who knows?

As a previous poster said. Move on ffs. 

7 minutes ago, thesaint said:

As a previous poster said. Move on ffs. 

Why should I? Not all of these players have refused (that we know of) and Scotland need as many good players as we can get. You might not want them, and that’s fine, but if they will improve the squad then I’ll have them, thanks very much. Nobody will care how authentically Scottish they are if they score the winner v one of our opponents in the Euros.

Angus Gunn refused a number of call ups before he accepted. Do you want to give him back now, and have Clark and Kelly as our options for the next qualifying campaign?

Edited by Yr Alban

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

McBurnie up front with Barnes and Fraser either side of him. Like the sound of that.

Dykes not regularly starting for a struggling championship team versus McBurnie doing OK for a struggling EPL team. On the face if it, it does seem bizarre. McBurnie would also be an asset defensively as we tend to gift the opposition a lot of free headers. It's not as if Dykes has been that great for us recently.

I assume there are non-footballing reasons but it's the case with a lot of our players that there are better players (or at least equal in ability) not getting a look in.

23 minutes ago, Yr Alban said:

Why should I? Not all of these players have refused (that we know of) and Scotland need as many good players as we can get. You might not want them, and that’s fine, but if they will improve the squad then I’ll have them, thanks very much. Nobody will care how authentically Scottish they are if they score the winner v one of our opponents in the Euros.

Angus Gunn refused a number of call ups before he accepted. Do you want to give him back now, and have Clark and Kelly as our options for the next qualifying campaign?

No one will care how authentically Scottish they are.... You do realise the difference between International and club football? If you are willing to accept anybody then what on earth is the point of International football? It would just be club football in International jerseys. Pointless in fact. 

52 minutes ago, Yr Alban said:

You are living in a world of fantasy:-

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/harvey-barnes-shares-anthony-gordons-28757334

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

Preaching to the converted. McBurnie in really good form and just at the right time as opposed to one or two of our other forwards. Could almost be a wildcard for us. .Give us a different option up front. Not too sure Clarke could force himself to try something different though. 

I've always thought Mcburnie would get back in the squad at some point despite the stick he gets, partly because of the quality of the alternatives. I think it might be the Nations League before Clarke looks to move on from Adams and Dykes who can still do a job but undoubtedly have beyond their best for some time at club level.

1 hour ago, Yr Alban said:

Luckily Clarke doesn’t share the racist views of a few on this forum, best 11 available 👍

26 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Luckily Clarke doesn’t share the racist views of a few on this forum, best 11 available 👍

Racist? Not entirely sure you're grasping the very concept of international football and, you know, nationalities. 🤣

1 hour ago, Yr Alban said:

My argument is - every other bloody Country is at it, some more than others! 
And everyone on this forum is entitled to their opinion, so Yr Alban I’m with you on this one.

If it’s good enough for Engerland and Declan Rice, then I’m afraid I’d happily welcome Barnes Livramento Anderson Hackney Gray Ashby and The Fletcher Boys into the Scotland Squad etc etc 

Declan has fairly amassed the Caps for Engerland now and don’t hear as much of a peep from them, he was born in London but ultimately he chopped and chooses who he wanted to play for!! 

Declan Rice - International career
2015–2016 Republic of Ireland U17 6 (2)
2016–2017 Republic of Ireland U19 6 (0)
2017–2018 Republic of Ireland U21 5 (0)
2018 Republic of Ireland 3 (0)
2019– England 50 (3)

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

As much as I have slagged him for his Scotland performances I do think if he scores 3 or 4 more goals this season then he deserves a call up.

He maybe even warrants a call up based on current form. 

35 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Racist views? Oh ffs please. So fans who only want 100% dedicated players and primarily Scots are racist. You need to go and check a dictionary.