Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 332 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

3 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I'm pretty sure it's been widely documented/known that Cairney has declared himself unavailable/uninterested for at least the last 5 years.

I don't see what desire he would have being a previously uninterested (English-born if that makes a difference) 32 year old in coming into an unfamiliar squad probably to sit on the bench, when more likely trying to preserve his playing career past the next 1 or 2 seasons at that level. That's even before we think about what kind of message or lack of foresight that would show from Clarke picking such a player.

This bus has long left the station.

A quick search on Google or twitter shows nothing of this, if you could share any article that would help.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, syecosse said:

A quick search on Google or twitter shows nothing of this, if you could share any article that would help.

The midfielders McGinn, McTominay, Christie, McGegor, Gilmour, Ferguson, McLean and Armstrong are tried and trusted and set in stone for the Euros in my opinion. I do not see Cairney upsetting that applecart.

3 hours ago, syecosse said:

Yeh nothing online from any reliable source. Good player but think it's pretty irrelevant now as he is in his 30's & it's very unlikely he would be a starter even if he still wanted called up. I think the likes of Armstrong & Christie etc who  generally aren't starters for us can still make a impact so arguably if everyone is fit there's no need for another good midfielder warming the bench .

That might be the reason he doesn't push himself in the media to be called up, he was never given a serious chance for us when he was in the squad so prefers to hang out with his gorgeous wife while not defending his first team premier league place.

5 hours ago, syecosse said:

He said so at the time, I remember reading it.

He asked not to be considered.

Not good enough, although been decent in recent games, would only ask him to re consider if we had 4 or 5 regulars out 

1 hour ago, The Black Bra said:

Liverpool are recalling left back Owen Beck from loan at Dundee, Robertson not returning in January as had been hoped….

On a positive note, it's unlikely the current injuries to Robertson and Hickey will be negative from a Scotland perspective as they'll maybe be a bit fresher. My great fear is that we get players turning up completely exhausted in June (McGinn, McGregor would be two examples) but that's tempered by players not playing a full season (like the above two) or players who tend to get rotated (McTominay and Patterson and  Gilmour to a lesser extent)

7 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

On a positive note, it's unlikely the current injuries to Robertson and Hickey will be negative from a Scotland perspective as they'll maybe be a bit fresher. My great fear is that we get players turning up completely exhausted in June (McGinn, McGregor would be two examples) but that's tempered by players not playing a full season (like the above two) or players who tend to get rotated (McTominay and Patterson and  Gilmour to a lesser extent)

Providing Villa do not reach the FA Cup Final or Conference League Final then McGinn will have around a month to recover from the long season. McGregor's workload may not be as bad as it could have been now that Celtic are out of Europe but he too should have around a month to recover. And it is worth remembering that most counties competing at the Euros will have the same fatigue worries with key players.

13 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

Liverpool are recalling left back Owen Beck from loan at Dundee, Robertson not returning in January as had been hoped….

I saw something about Rangers being in for him this January which could also be a factor to allow Liverpool to speak to him etc. Not that Scotland need any more left backs

12 hours ago, stocky said:

He said so at the time, I remember reading it.

He asked not to be considered.

Not good enough, although been decent in recent games, would only ask him to re consider if we had 4 or 5 regulars out 

If he ever were to have an international career it would have been during the Strachan years in his mid 20s, but Strachan famously was too loyal to certain players who weren't performing.

He seemed to be in McLeish's plans and got his last cap under McLeish, although those camps were probably a shambles and the squad was utter shit so he probably thought fuck that

Edited by N4Footsoldier

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Providing Villa do not reach the FA Cup Final or Conference League Final then McGinn will have around a month to recover from the long season. McGregor's workload may not be as bad as it could have been now that Celtic are out of Europe but he too should have around a month to recover. And it is worth remembering that most counties competing at the Euros will have the same fatigue worries with key players.

It seems that playing in the EPL (and SPL) takes it out of players more than other leagues. It was commented on by Capello I think that his EPL players were always exhausted when they turned up.  I don't know the reasons behind that but if you've been at full pace all season and probably have some minor injuries, one month isn't enough.  Jamie Carragher commented on how poor his form was at the beginning of the 06/07 season as he'd been playing at the World Cup.

7 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

It seems that playing in the EPL (and SPL) takes it out of players more than other leagues. It was commented on by Capello I think that his EPL players were always exhausted when they turned up.  I don't know the reasons behind that but if you've been at full pace all season and probably have some minor injuries, one month isn't enough.  Jamie Carragher commented on how poor his form was at the beginning of the 06/07 season as he'd been playing at the World Cup.

Capello excuses for his failings me thinks. And the Hungarian league ends on 18th of May so even less of a break for their players. It cannot be used as an excuse I am afraid considering Wales did well enough in 2016 with the same schedule.

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Capello excuses for his failings me thinks. And the Hungarian league ends on 18th of May so even less of a break for their players. It cannot be used as an excuse I am afraid considering Wales did well enough in 2016 with the same schedule.

That's one day before the end of the EPL season so I'm assuming you've made a mistake with the dates.

It depends on the style of football and number of games, surely? Plus you have several English clubs who'll go far in European competition. The conference league final is on 29 May for example.

9 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

That's one day before the end of the EPL season so I'm assuming you've made a mistake with the dates.

It depends on the style of football and number of games, surely? Plus you have several English clubs who'll go far in European competition. The conference league final is on 29 May for example.

The foreign coaches that dominate the EPL now has greatly changed the type of football played. The tempo is slower and build-ups start from the back. The days of a long hoof up from the keeper and physical game is no more in the EPL. Lets remember too the shitting ourselves before double header last June about fatigue amounted to nothing as we picked up maximum points including turning Norway defeat into victory due to a strong finish in a match played in searing heat.

3 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I saw something about Rangers being in for him this January which could also be a factor to allow Liverpool to speak to him etc. Not that Scotland need any more left backs

If he ever were to have an international career it would have been during the Strachan years in his mid 20s, but Strachan famously was too loyal to certain players who weren't performing.

He seemed to be in McLeish's plans and got his last cap under McLeish, although those camps were probably a shambles and the squad was utter shit so he probably thought fuck that

Interesting comment about Strachan being too loyal to certain players who weren't performing. It is indeed a fine line between balancing loyalty to guys who have performed well for the country in the past but aren't on great club form and those who are currently on fire for their clubs but haven't had many chances for the National side.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The foreign coaches that dominate the EPL now has greatly changed the type of football played. The tempo is slower and build-ups start from the back. The days of a long hoof up from the keeper and physical game is no more in the EPL. Lets remember too the shitting ourselves before double header last June about fatigue amounted to nothing as we picked up maximum points including turning Norway defeat into victory due to a strong finish in a match played in searing heat.

Though I was very happy with the Norway result, for several reasons, we were really poor that day and were it not for a moment of madness from Ostigard we were heading for a defeat that nobody really could have complained about.  Thankfully, we were much better against Georgia (who didn't really turn up)

2 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Though I was very happy with the Norway result, for several reasons, we were really poor that day and were it not for a moment of madness from Ostigard we were heading for a defeat that nobody really could have complained about.  Thankfully, we were much better against Georgia (who didn't really turn up)

Bottom line is we won two games over the space of four days in June in very different weather conditions with the same schedule (or if anything a little tighter) than this year. Fatigue cannot/should not be used as an excuse or if so we should not bother qualifying for major tournaments then if our squad is only seen as physically exhausted. Heck England will be one of the teams to beat with a squad with players with  an even heavier schedule than us for its players. How does that work?

6 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Sounds about right to me. Guys been a excellent player & captained Fulham for 7 years but still not deemed good enough to start for us. Don't know how many squads he was called into for his couple of caps but I would certainly understand why he'd be pissed off sitting watching us look bang average & not getting on.

It's too late now so unless Clarke really loved him which he obviously doesn't I can't see anyway back even though he is arguably better than a 2 or 3 midfielders in our squad .

4 hours ago, thesaint said:

Interesting comment about Strachan being too loyal to certain players who weren't performing. It is indeed a fine line between balancing loyalty to guys who have performed well for the country in the past but aren't on great club form and those who are currently on fire for their clubs but haven't had many chances for the National side.

I agree it is a balance. You could pick out certain mainstays of Clarke's squads and suggest marginal improvements based on others available, but the team is getting results so everything is good.

Whole I don't think we were too bad mostly under Strachan there were patches of very poor results where the same old players weren't producing when others were in form and available. I wasn't too much of a critic at the time but many others were

Shankland with his 19th of the season (if you include the Scotland goal) going into the winter break. Probably his last goal for Hearts. 

I almost feel like his form is too good, and he may have priced the old firm out of being able to sign him. Rangers need him more, but are probably less capable of affording him.

18 minutes ago, broraboy said:

A Greg Taylor goal with a lovely volley for Celtic 

Unlikely to make the next squad if Robertson + Tierney both fit 

He was embarrassing vs Norway. I’d happily see him fazed out the squad.

Struggles really badly with the step up to international footy 

4 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

He was embarrassing vs Norway. I’d happily see him fazed out the squad.

Struggles really badly with the step up to international footy 

I'm sure he'll make the odd squad here and there, but if Hickey, Robertson and Tierney are fit for the Euros, he's got virtually no chance of making the final 23. 

We are fortunate that we have so many versatile players that can play multiple positions. Taylor isn't one of them and would be wasting a precious slot at the Euros.

5 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Shankland with his 19th of the season (if you include the Scotland goal) going into the winter break. Probably his last goal for Hearts. 

I almost feel like his form is too good, and he may have priced the old firm out of being able to sign him. Rangers need him more, but are probably less capable of affording him.

Whats impressive is barely any of his goals this season have been penalties which is a minor criticism I had of him last season. 

I think hes really cementing his chance at being third choice striker. Clarke has to give him proper gametime in the friendlies.

11 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Whats impressive is barely any of his goals this season have been penalties which is a minor criticism I had of him last season. 

I think hes really cementing his chance at being third choice striker. Clarke has to give him proper gametime in the friendlies.

I think you're right. If he's still flying by the March friendlies, he may even play himself into a starting position.

Striker really is the one area that we haven't really been able to improve upon. That's not to say Dykes and Adams aren't good players, but they aren't any more prolific than anyone else we've had the past couple of decades.

I'm more than happy to experiment with Shankland for a few games. I don't think Jacob Brown has done enough to justify another start ahead of him