Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 324 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

19 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Its always a balance though isnt it. To have a go you first need to get the ball and in certain games Gilmour clearly hasnt been fancied or done the job that Clarke wants.

Personally I think our strongest 4 is McGreggor, Gilmour, McTom and McGinn and thats what id go with however I can see Clarke being abit more pragmatic in certain games like the Germany one.

I’d go with a midfield 3 with McGinn playing as a no 10 and either McGregor or Gilmour . 
I honestly believe if we get the midfield balanced, we can go to Germany and have a good go at all 3 of the teams in our group. And potentially dominate 2 of those games.   But in my opinion we need an anchor in central midfield. Whether that’s Ferguson, Hickey, Christie or Souttar. I’d like to see the friendlies used to try some of these partnerships and combinations out. 

Edited by Scot1

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I’d go with a midfield 3 with McGinn playing as a no 10 and either McGregor or Gilmour . 
I honestly believe if we get the midfield balanced, we can go to Germany and have a good go at all 3 of the teams in our group. And potentially dominate 2 of those games.   But in my opinion we need an anchor in central midfield. Whether that’s Ferguson, Hickey, Christie or Souttar. I’d like to see the friendlies used to try some of these partnerships and combinations out. 

Agree totally, against better opposition we desperately need a good defensive anchor man to midfield. One of those 4 or a fit Ryan Jack I'd like to see start against Germany.

2 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Agree totally, against better opposition we desperately need a good defensive anchor man to midfield. One of those 4 or a fit Ryan Jack I'd like to see start against Germany.

I just don’t think Jack has the engine, the work rate or mobility to do it. He’s got the quality on the ball, but I don’t think he’s up to the job off the ball. 

22 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Big call to leave out your top goalscorer and generally accepted best performing player from the qualifying. 

I know you have said previously that you would try Hickey as a holder and therefore allow McGreggor to roam forward more. Do you believe that McGreggor is a better attacking / box 2 box player than McTom?

19 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Patterson was poor defensively the first half against Fulham tonight though a lot better the 2nd including a excellent block which denied Fulham a late winner.  To no avail though as Fulham won the shoot out .

He still has a lot to learn, hope he gets the first team time to improve.

When I watch Patterson play, I see a rough diamond, I think he’s got the potential to be a real quality full back / wing back. I’m not sure when “the penny drops” for him, when it “clicks” and his performance levels begin to hit a good consistent level, instead of being patchy. Part of it is experience, playing games, part of it is coaching. But the biggest part of it is himself, his own understanding of the game. I’ve no doubt at some point he will come to this realisation and the game will become much simpler for him. When that happens he’ll be a quality full back / wing back. I had hoped it would’ve happened by now, but he’s still making wrong choices and making situations difficult for himself, more difficult than they need be. 

6 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Big call to leave out your top goalscorer and generally accepted best performing player from the qualifying. 

I know you have said previously that you would try Hickey as a holder and therefore allow McGreggor to roam forward more. Do you believe that McGreggor is a better attacking / box 2 box player than McTom?

No my midfield 3 would be 

McTominay. Def mid. McGregor 

McGinn

It’s either Gilmour or McGregor for me

Edited by Scot1

Gunn

Porteous. Hendry Tierney

Patterson.               Robertson  

McTominay Hickey McGregor

McGinn

Dykes

Thats how I’d set up against Hungary and Switzerland, something along those lines. 
I think a team like that gives Hungary and Switzerland a lot of problems,  and at the very least will give the Germans an uncomfortable time.

Edited by Scot1

5 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Patterson was poor defensively the first half against Fulham tonight though a lot better the 2nd including a excellent block which denied Fulham a late winner.  To no avail though as Fulham won the shoot out .

He still has a lot to learn, hope he gets the first team time to improve.

According to fotmob, he was motm

Gilmour looks to me like he's added a fair bit of bite to his game recently, putting in a lot more tackles. Having players like that also helps to relieve pressure on the defence because they keep the ball.

We also don't have an out-and-out defensive alternative. Hickey has never played there to my knowledge.

Edited by DC92

1 hour ago, DC92 said:

Gilmour looks to me like he's added a fair bit of bite to his game recently, putting in a lot more tackles. Having players like that also helps to relieve pressure on the defence because they keep the ball.

We also don't have an out-and-out defensive alternative. Hickey has never played there to my knowledge.

It might not work with Hickey, but I’d like to see him given a go there as a Defensive Midfield during the Friendlies. I’m pretty sure Ferguson could do it if asked and I’d have no problem seeing him tried there in the Friendlies. 
We’ve got lots of good football players all over the pitch, I think we are capable of playing possession football without Gilmour. Hickey and Ferguson both playing for Bologna will be used to a possession based style. 
Again it’s just my opinion but I think that a central midfield partnership of Gilmour and McGregor is too lightweight and they are too similar. 

16 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Gunn

Porteous Hendry Tierney

Hickey.                       Robertson 

McTom Ferguson. McGregor 

McGinn

Dykes

I wouldn’t mind seeing this either

Ferguson has been playing off the striker this season 

Agree about Gilmour’s defensive side improving. If he continues his current form for the rest of the season and it’s a choice between him and McGregor, Gilmour should be getting the spot. McGregor has been brilliant for Scotland over the past several years, but Gilmour’s now doing it consistently at a higher level than McGregor.

1 hour ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Ferguson has been playing off the striker this season 

Yes, but I think he’s adaptable enough to play deeper. I’m sure he’d give it a good go because I can’t see him getting into the team ahead of McTominay if he’s available. 

19 minutes ago, BookhouseBoys said:

Agree about Gilmour’s defensive side improving. If he continues his current form for the rest of the season and it’s a choice between him and McGregor, Gilmour should be getting the spot. McGregor has been brilliant for Scotland over the past several years, but Gilmour’s now doing it consistently at a higher level than McGregor.

With Christie now playing a similar role at Bournemouth we have good cover, competition for that role in midfield. It’ll be interesting to see the form of these players between now and the end of the season.

31 minutes ago, BookhouseBoys said:

McGregor is a very good and very important player  for Scotland. I'm sure he is vital to the way Clarke wants us to play. Good to have so many midfield options though. 

1 hour ago, BookhouseBoys said:

I remember thinking at the last Euros there was a metaphorical passing of the torch between McGregor and Gilmour. What I didn't envisage is they would end up playing together and gelling so well. Having both of them in the midfield means we have become a more ball playing team, and we are now far less reliant on hit and hope balls to our strikers.

That being said, I'm definitely not against trying out Christie, Ferguson or anyone else in there. McGregor is a great player but he won't last forever. (He's totally going to do a Modric and play until he's 40, isn't he?)

However, I think Gilmour is now on the verge realising that potential we all knew he had. I can see him cementing a starting 11 place for the next decade now.

Much chat about our Midfield and the permutations ( good ones ) that S.Clarke will have going into the Euro’s - fingers crossed every single one of them stay fit+healthy and in the form of their life!! 

Our Centre Backs - Looking at the departure of S.Cooper from Nottingham Forest, I wonder where this leaves S.McKenna? 
Does McKenna get a second chance or does he move on, currently frozen out of the squad and has been for weeks!! Needs to be playing to guarantee a squad selection and possibly a starting place? 
John Souttar starting for Rangers this evening is a huge positive ( hoping he stays healthy ) and G.Hanley on his way back for Norwich as well……. 

Who gets the nod for the 4/5 Centre Backs all being fit and healthy? 
Doesn’t look like Clarke will cast his net any further than what he’s tried + tested during qualification with G.Hanley J.Souttar K.Tierney S.McKenna R.Porteous L.Cooper and J.Hendry. 

17 minutes ago, broraboy said:

Much chat about our Midfield and the permutations ( good ones ) that S.Clarke will have going into the Euro’s - fingers crossed every single one of them stay fit+healthy and in the form of their life!! 

Our Centre Backs - Looking at the departure of S.Cooper from Nottingham Forest, I wonder where this leaves S.McKenna? 
Does McKenna get a second chance or does he move on, currently frozen out of the squad and has been for weeks!! Needs to be playing to guarantee a squad selection and possibly a starting place? 
John Souttar starting for Rangers this evening is a huge positive ( hoping he stays healthy ) and G.Hanley on his way back for Norwich as well……. 

Doesn’t look like Clarke will cast his net any further than what he’s tried + tested during qualification with G.Hanley J.Souttar K.Tierney S.McKenna R.Porteous L.Cooper and J.Hendry. 

McKenna's issues seemingly are with the Forest board so nothing has changed on that front. It would be best if he moved as soon as the transfer window opens. As for the centre-backs well Ryan Porteous, Jack Hendry and Kieran Tierney are certs to be selected if fit. The other two I would take would be Scott McKenna and Grant Hanley.

1 hour ago, broraboy said:

My first choice 3 at the back would be 

Porteous Hendry. Tierney

I think that line up is the best combination I’ve seen under Clarke. 
As far as the others I’d have in the squad, I’d go with McKenna, Souttar and Cooper

those 3 are direct replacements and would look line up

Souttar McKenna Cooper

I think Clarke will take Hanley instead of Souttar though.

As a side note, one thing that impressed me in our last game against Sweden, the 3-3 draw, in which we went with a back 4. Was how comfortable on the ball McKenna and Hendry were and how well they both played it out from the back. Bit of a shame that it was overshadowed by letting in 3 goals. 
Let’s hope McKenna is playing football soon and in contention. I’d rather he was in the middle of the 3 if Hendry isn’t available. And I hope Clarke sticks with Hendry in the middle of the 3, rather than Hanley. I think Porteous has played well since his inclusion in the team and I see no reason to drop him from the starting 11. But Clarke may see it differently, he may bring back Hanley into the middle of the 3 and move Hendry to the right side, drop Porteous to the bench.Not something I’d do personally. I’d stick with Tierney, Hendry and Porteous. 

Edited by Scot1

29 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Souttar McKenna Cooper

As a side note, one thing that impressed me in our last game against Sweden, the 3-3 draw, in which we went with a back 4. Was how comfortable on the ball McKenna and Hendry. 

They impressed you so much you forgot who we were playing..

.🤔🇸🇪🇳🇴😎👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

😉😉😉

Edited by stocky

2 minutes ago, stocky said:

They impressed you so much you forgot who we were playing..

.🤔🇸🇪🇳🇴😎👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

😉😉😉

That’s embarrassing, indeed Norway it was. Just another vanquished side on the way to glory.