Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 313 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

What's with the love in over Harvey Barnes. 

He's  not that good. 

He would improve the squad tbf. Hes a cut above any winger/forward we have imo.

Same with Anthony Gordon.

Not ideal scenario but a country like us needs all the help it can get if we want to get out the groups.

11 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

What's with the love in over Harvey Barnes. 

He's  not that good. 

He's really not a player that we can afford to pass up should he be interested, given our distinct lack of depth in the winger/forward position beyond SPFL or English Championship caliber.

Given he is struggling to get a game in an excellent Newcastle side, his England prospects don't look up to much, so that's why I said he is by far the most likely out of the 3 eligible Newcastle players to come across. 

17 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Pretty sure there were some people on here fairly recently suggesting he wasn't as good as Ralston or Ramsay. I've advocated for a long time that we ask the question whether he's going to play for us but given performances of late I can't see it happening either.

Not as good as Ralston 🤣

Right enough, that does sound like something you might see posted on here!

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Barnes is by far the most likely to switch, given his age as the competition for Eng. in his position is huge. Livramento and Gordon won't make the Euro squad now but they are next generation for England in their positions so no chance for them joining us I think. 

Think we would agree Barnes most likely   I reckon Livramento & Gordon could both be in England's next Squads if they keep up their current club form. Southgate is under pressure to call them up as he knows we're sniffing & England aren't as well stacked at left back as right. Even though it's probably not his best position I expect Livramento will make the left back position at Newcastle his own due to lack of club competition so it'll be very hard or stupid of Southgate to ignore him.

Though after finding this quote from Livramento it's good to know that his dad isn't leaning on him , it's only the Scottish side of the family so suppose there's still a glimmer of hope.

Screenshot_2023-12-05-12-45-14-816_com.android.chrome.jpg

17 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Hackney played recently for England U21; Anderson not getting into the Newcastle team even. IMO we don't need him as much as we need Barnes.

I think we might reconsider. We've not had too many injuries in midfield and statistically we're probably due some. Also Jack is unreliable in terms of fitness. If we had a couple of players out, I don't know who's next in line for a call up, possibly Barron but after that I'm struggling for names.

Re Barnes et al, I’m surprised nobody seems to be considering the effect just parachuting these guys into the squad on the eve of a tournament might have on the current positive group dynamic. Yes they may well improve on existing players, but persuading (and that’s what’s happening here) English players to represent Scotland now that we have qualified could stick some noses out of joint if it means that guys who have turned up to every camp during qualifying are squeezed out of the 23. The tournament itself should be a reward for the players who got us there. Were it up to me, if players like Barnes have signalled they want to be involved, they should be brought in after the Euros, starting with the Nations League campaign. While this might come at a cost to the on-paper strength of the team at the tournament, I don’t think any of the suggested players are good enough to merit potentially upsetting the harmony and togetherness of the current squad.

26 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

See McBurnie has got onto David Squires weekly reflections in the Guardian. Idiot! McBurnie, not Squires.

David Squires on … hot yoga and pure rage as Manchester City draw with Spurs | Football | The Guardian

Really didn't do himself any favours at the weekend. Not going to help Scotland if he plays like that, refs at the Euros will be as strict as the EPL. Red card waiting to happen.

6 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Think we would agree Barnes most likely   I reckon Livramento & Gordon could both be in England's next Squads if they keep up their current club form. Southgate is under pressure to call them up as he knows we're sniffing & England aren't as well stacked at left back as right. Even though it's probably not his best position I expect Livramento will make the left back position at Newcastle his own due to lack of club competition so it'll be very hard or stupid of Southgate to ignore him.

Though after finding this quote from Livramento it's good to know that his dad isn't leaning on him , it's only the Scottish side of the family so suppose there's still a glimmer of hope.

Screenshot_2023-12-05-12-45-14-816_com.android.chrome.jpg

I think you could be right with Livramento & Gordon both being in the next Engerland Squad, providing they keep this current form up! 

This is a forum for Scotland fans and we are all entitled to our opinions, Livramento would walk straight into our starting XI, as good as Hickey is Livramento imo is superior in many ways…… 

What annoys me with Scotland & S.Clarke to an extent, is they want to see talent/players almost serve an apprenticeship and graduate through the U21’s (B.Gilmour the only exception due to the 26 man squad criteria) before stepping up to the first XI 

Tino Livramento should have been on Scotland’s radar well over 18 months ago when S.Clarke continued playing his Favourites ie SOD, I’ve kept a keen eye on how this lad would develop and although he had the setback with his injury. He’s now starting to show what he’s all about just when he was at Southampton! 

The only thing going against Livramento is Engerland have a plethora of RB’s ahead of him at the moment and at LB they now have Luke Shaw returning who is one of G.Southgates Favourites!! 
Forget who the preferred LB is at the moment currently injured at Newcastle ( Burn possibly ? ) but if he comes BACK, will Livramento drop back onto the bench?? 

Curiosity got the better of me and I had a look on the Engerland Forum similar to this and a few of them clambering for Southgate to Cap him before the Jocks get him! The problem is Engerland have so many to choose from

IMG_3640.jpeg

Livramento has played at every youth level for England. Whether he was on our radar or not, he's going to play for England if he is selected. Excellent player but I'd be surprised if he makes their squad. Will he then reconsider his allegiance if he just misses out, unlikely imo.

1 hour ago, broraboy said:

I think you could be right with Livramento & Gordon both being in the next Engerland Squad, providing they keep this current form up! 

This is a forum for Scotland fans and we are all entitled to our opinions, Livramento would walk straight into our starting XI, as good as Hickey is Livramento imo is superior in many ways…… 

What annoys me with Scotland & S.Clarke to an extent, is they want to see talent/players almost serve an apprenticeship and graduate through the U21’s (B.Gilmour the only exception due to the 26 man squad criteria) before stepping up to the first XI 

Tino Livramento should have been on Scotland’s radar well over 18 months ago when S.Clarke continued playing his Favourites ie SOD, I’ve kept a keen eye on how this lad would develop and although he had the setback with his injury. He’s now starting to show what he’s all about just when he was at Southampton! 

The only thing going against Livramento is Engerland have a plethora of RB’s ahead of him at the moment and at LB they now have Luke Shaw returning who is one of G.Southgates Favourites!! 
Forget who the preferred LB is at the moment currently injured at Newcastle ( Burn possibly ? ) but if he comes BACK, will Livramento drop back onto the bench?? 

Curiosity got the better of me and I had a look on the Engerland Forum similar to this and a few of them clambering for Southgate to Cap him before the Jocks get him! The problem is Engerland have so many to choose from

IMG_3640.jpeg

Livramento will want to play for England. There was no point in Clarke chasing him when he was 18/19 unless livramento made it clear he was interested. 

Hes also eligible for Portugal which is a far better option than us.

We are probably his third choice. 

Discussion is great. Trying to get into the players heads…… even Clarke’s head. But this is international football, these kids …… and Barnes ……. shouldn’t have the choice. Forget all 4 that are currently in question. As Meagaidh says, togetherness of the group could well be affected. More from who’s not making the 23 rather than the addition of some English stankies.

Angus Gunn is one I want fit and in the squad. I do remember my initial disappointment that the son of a Scotland International goalkeeper had chosen England. 
I did not realise he has represented England at every age group since u16 . ! The guy was born in the lovely county of Norfolk. Anyhoo . They called him Angus ffs. 

16 minutes ago, Shaundy said:

Angus Gunn is one I want fit and in the squad. I do remember my initial disappointment that the son of a Scotland International goalkeeper had chosen I gland. 
I did not realise he has represented England at every age group since u16 . ! The guy was born in the lovely county of Norfolk. Anyhoo . They called him Angus ffs. 

He did play on saturday and had a cracking game by all accounts. 

18 hours ago, syecosse said:

Jacob Brown played well against Arsenal on the RW, the manager substituted him and the other 2 forwards at 3-3 and Luton did not really di anything after that, commentary also complimentary of Brown and other forwards. 

I've not seen masses of him but I'm not sure he's able to play the line striker role that Dykes or Adams have played for us. He's busy, works hard but you need more than that if you're the only one up top.

1 hour ago, ger intae them said:

Discussion is great. Trying to get into the players heads…… even Clarke’s head. But this is international football, these kids …… and Barnes ……. shouldn’t have the choice. Forget all 4 that are currently in question. As Meagaidh says, togetherness of the group could well be affected. More from who’s not making the 23 rather than the addition of some English stankies.

I doubt if anyone other than Shankland or Brown would be upset if Gordon was picked.

That would be some upgrade.