Expectation and Reality - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Expectation and Reality

exile

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You’ve got to take the fact we were bottom seeds into account which I’m not sure has happened too many times before. 92 and 96 possibly? 

If you are in a group of 4 and the three other teams are better than you then you’d do well to get more than one point. The fact we got our only point away from home against the top seeds would suggest being at home with a quarter full stadium wasn’t much of an advantage. 

The fact is,it should have been an advantage playing at home.The fans did their bit and created a pretty good atmosphere,but the players seemed unable to respond.We had already beaten the Czech Republic home and away{albeit the away game with a reserve Czech team}.If we can't raise our performance at home to the Czechs,then heaven help us.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Never realised it,but i see this tournament is statiscally the worst performance we have had in a tournament.Even in Argentina,which was widely regarded as a disaster,we got 4 points and scored 5 goals.At this tournament,even for the first time having 2 games at home,we got 1 point and scored 1 goal.No way around it....Truly truly dismal.

Surely World Cup 54 is worse? Only two games but 0 points, 0 goals scored, 8 conceded. 

20 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You’ve got to take the fact we were bottom seeds into account which I’m not sure has happened too many times before. 92 and 96 possibly? 

If you are in a group of 4 and the three other teams are better than you then you’d do well to get more than one point. The fact we got our only point away from home against the top seeds would suggest being at home with a quarter full stadium wasn’t much of an advantage. 

And even one step further than that - we were taking part in a tournament that we shouldn’t really have been at, in as much as we effectively finished the qualifiers (Nations League) as the 25th best team in Europe, (for a 24-team tournament) and got in because of some bizarre system, whereby UEFA decided to award a place to the team who finishes 25th, and the team who finishes 40th, without having to face any teams who finished higher than that.

So, you’re right, it’s a bit silly and disingenuous to compare it to previous campaigns. The media were pretty bad for that throughout the tournament as well, going on about ‘first time we’ve done such and such,’ when clearly they weren’t like-for-like comparisons, due to completely different and unique circumstances.

27 minutes ago, Mickey The Brave said:

And even one step further than that - we were taking part in a tournament that we shouldn’t really have been at, in as much as we effectively finished the qualifiers (Nations League) as the 25th best team in Europe, (for a 24-team tournament) and got in because of some bizarre system, whereby UEFA decided to award a place to the team who finishes 25th, and the team who finishes 40th, without having to face any teams who finished higher than that.

So, you’re right, it’s a bit silly and disingenuous to compare it to previous campaigns. The media were pretty bad for that throughout the tournament as well, going on about ‘first time we’ve done such and such,’ when clearly they weren’t like-for-like comparisons, due to completely different and unique circumstances.

I’m not sure you can say we shouldn’t have been there. We finished 3rd in our qualifying group so would likely have been in the playoffs anyway even if they had used a similar format to the Euro 2016 tournament. We’ll never know. 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

I’m not sure you can say we shouldn’t have been there. We finished 3rd in our qualifying group so would likely have been in the playoffs anyway even if they had used a similar format to the Euro 2016 tournament. We’ll never know. 

Firstly, no we wouldn’t have, and secondly if we had, we’d have faced play-off standard teams, presumably even as non-seeds, against a seeded team, rather than the guarantee of teams from outside the top two Nations Leagues, that the Nations League route gave us.

19 minutes ago, Mickey The Brave said:

Firstly, no we wouldn’t have, and secondly if we had, we’d have faced play-off standard teams, presumably even as non-seeds, against a seeded team, rather than the guarantee of teams from outside the top two Nations Leagues, that the Nations League route gave us.

How do you know? Do you work for UEFA?

2 hours ago, thesaint said:

Never realised it,but i see this tournament is statiscally the worst performance we have had in a tournament.Even in Argentina,which was widely regarded as a disaster,we got 4 points and scored 5 goals.At this tournament,even for the first time having 2 games at home,we got 1 point and scored 1 goal.No way around it....Truly truly dismal.

dismal is not making the finals, yes we were found wanting however we are building a team,squad and spirit that will hopefully do our country proud.

17 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

dismal is not making the finals, yes we were found wanting however we are building a team,squad and spirit that will hopefully do our country proud.

We competed with the Czechs and England. On another day we could have got more points from those two games and got out the group. 

Obviously that didn’t happen so we didn’t deserve to progress but it’s not as if we were completely out of our depth in the tournament as some people are making out.

In my opinion Clarke seriously needs to consider ditching the formation he’s currently using as we aren’t doing any damage to teams using it. 

If we are going to go to Austria and win we are going to have to do something different. 

Just now, Third Lanark said:

Not totally, but Forrest is not going to become any better though now, is he?

Not if he is played out of position any time he gets a game. 

Fraser is only 2 years younger than Forrest as well so I don’t think he’s going to improve dramatically either. 

2 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Fucking hell. Thats 4 times Ive had to block the same crackpot.  What the fuck, how is that even required ? 😂😂😂

Why do you feel the need to be so rude to people?  Calling them names and not contributing to a football discussion.  You block whoever you like but please for once come up with something constructive on here.  I know you wont see this as I will be blocked as well.  And you call people crackpots.

Just now, Rolling hIlls said:

Why do you feel the need to be so rude to people?  Calling them names and not contributing to a football discussion.  You block whoever you like but please for once come up with something constructive on here.  I know you wont see this as I will be blocked as well.  And you call people crackpots.

When do you contribute to football discussion? 🤣🤣🤣

8 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Aye ok. You will be right.  I am just a troll etc etc and blah blah blah.  Have a nice night and stand on.

Correct, you're a troll. The board would be much better if you buggered off.

Thanks for playing 

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Correct, you're a troll. The board would be much better if you buggered off.

Thanks for playing 

Aye. The board would be better off if I buggered off, didn't agree with you and didn't support Rangers.  Carry on Kid.  Told you before I don't get bullied by anyone.  Stand on kid.

30 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Aye. The board would be better off if I buggered off, didn't agree with you and didn't support Rangers.  Carry on Kid.  Told you before I don't get bullied by anyone.  Stand on kid.

Aye ok kid pal, stand on kid. Havering shit as always

5 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Don't be so down on yourself kid.

Nothing to do with me pal. This is the TA Specific section which generally contains some decent posters and postings. If you defend this sad pathetic troll then you are asking for the criticism you will undoubtedly get. So stand up, sit down and do the hokey cokey or whatever it is that you mean

Edited by gkm_vancouver