Expectation and Reality - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Expectation and Reality

exile

4 hours ago, Mickey The Brave said:

Eh?

Where did I say or imply that I know better than the other members?

The bit about it's our job to support the team and we shouldn't be on message boards criticizing etc could be taken as implying you know better. You're coming across like you're telling folk how to behave on here. That's just not going to go down very well 😂

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Mickey The Brave said:

Eh?

Where did I say or imply that I know better than the other members?

Pretty much your whole posting. In all the 17 years I've been on this forum I don't think I've seen such a pathetic heap of drivel on one post from someone who only joined a day before our last game.  Those of us on this forum already have managed to have a pretty decent tournament and exchanged different views on the team/performance/manager without pontificating in the high and mighty manner like the garbage you've posted.

So apart from probably being a sad internet troll with  nothing better to do than wind people up, spend a bit of time reading through the forum before havering such pish or better still, feck off altogether and let the rest of us recover from our first tourney in 23 years like a decent supporters forum should be doing.

5 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

He makes some salient points.

No he doesn't. He's saying nothing that other posters haven't had a view on already but don't have the brassneck to post it like this wind-up merchant (and some others we all know) or just an ersehole would do'

8 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

One thing no one has yet mentioned is the lack of wide players (hesitate to call them wingers) emerging. Forrest is in the latter stages of his career, so we only really have Fraser. And most of the younger ones (Middleton, Kai Kennedy) are left-footed. Dunno about the boy Fiorini. We lament the lack of centre forwards, but good teams rely on other players to get goals from midfield and from the flanks - people like Griezmann for instance.

I just wish Ryan Kent was eligible. England don't seem to want him, and I don't see anyone much better in their squad.

Are we writing off 29 year olds now?

6 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

No he doesn't. He's saying nothing that other posters haven't had a view on already but don't have the brassneck to post it like this wind-up merchant (and some others we all know) or just an ersehole would do'

I agree with him about our method/route of qualification being underwhelming and that it's up for debate whether we would have got there under the old group system. I also agree that it's important to take a longer term view on our progress. My own opinion is that we are 3 or 4 players away from being a side that could have scored more goals and conceded less in our three games. I'd disagree with him that we need to be happy clappers about the manager and players. 

2 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I agree with him about our method/route of qualification being underwhelming and that it's up for debate whether we would have got there under the old group system. I also agree that it's important to take a longer term view on our progress.

...and there's plenty of other posts that have already said that before in a much more reasonable manner, not the way this muppet has spouted

My own opinion is that we are 3 or 4 players away from being a side that could have scored more goals and conceded less in our three games. I'd disagree with him that we need to be happy clappers about the manager and players. 

Fine and agreed. But again there have been a multitude of postings on this going back even before the tourney started (which you've surely seen) when we were discussing the (potential) squad - don't need this smert-erse suddenly stating the bleedin obvious now and spoiling a decent thread.

1 hour ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Pretty much your whole posting. In all the 17 years I've been on this forum I don't think I've seen such a pathetic heap of drivel on one post from someone who only joined a day before our last game.  Those of us on this forum already have managed to have a pretty decent tournament and exchanged different views on the team/performance/manager without pontificating in the high and mighty manner like the garbage you've posted.

So apart from probably being a sad internet troll with  nothing better to do than wind people up, spend a bit of time reading through the forum before havering such pish or better still, feck off altogether and let the rest of us recover from our first tourney in 23 years like a decent supporters forum should be doing.

Wow, I bet you’re right at home on a football message board! See something that looks amiss, and suddenly it’s ‘the most pathetic heap of drivel you’ve seen in your whole time on the forum.’ Football fans in this country seem unable to make a point without resorting to superlatives and hyperbole.

58 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I agree with him about our method/route of qualification being underwhelming and that it's up for debate whether we would have got there under the old group system. I also agree that it's important to take a longer term view on our progress. My own opinion is that we are 3 or 4 players away from being a side that could have scored more goals and conceded less in our three games. I'd disagree with him that we need to be happy clappers about the manager and players. 

Up for debate?

We wouldn’t and indeed didn’t get anywhere near qualifying, when pitted against teams from the full range of levels in Europe. We only qualified through a process that removed the 24 highest-ranked teams in Europe at an arbitrary point from the equation. Even then we required the lottery of not one but two penalty shoot-outs. I don’t see that there’s any debate.

1 hour ago, Mickey The Brave said:

Wow, I bet you’re right at home on a football message board! See something that looks amiss, and suddenly it’s ‘the most pathetic heap of drivel you’ve seen in your whole time on the forum.’ Football fans in this country seem unable to make a point without resorting to superlatives and hyperbole.

Hey Chripper. Your Taylor account been suspended again?

29 minutes ago, Kiltedsteamer147 said:

So you’re a different essay writing know all who just happens to have turned up when Taylor has been banned or has left? What are the odds? 

I’m not sure how I can prove that I’m not someone else, but if you have any suggestions, then I’m happy to try.

I do struggle to get my point across without elaborating at length, but please don’t hold that against me, if the length of my posts happen to match with someone who was previously a nuisance on here!

22 minutes ago, Mickey The Brave said:

I’m not sure how I can prove that I’m not someone else, but if you have any suggestions, then I’m happy to try.

I do struggle to get my point across without elaborating at length, but please don’t hold that against me, if the length of my posts happen to match with someone who was previously a nuisance on here!

You don’t need to prove anything but if you’re going to act exactly the same as someone that has been banned umpteen times and has recently disappeared then people are going to suspect you are that person. 

14 minutes ago, Kiltedsteamer147 said:

You don’t need to prove anything but if you’re going to act exactly the same as someone that has been banned umpteen times and has recently disappeared then people are going to suspect you are that person. 

Hopefully, I can convince you that that’s not the case, over future posts. What were they banned for? 

I’m not sure what I wrote in my first ten posts or so, that made you think I was ‘acting exactly the same’ as another poster?! That’s an unfortunate foot for me to start off on, if people are already associating me with a previously banned poster.

6 hours ago, Mickey The Brave said:

Hopefully, I can convince you that that’s not the case, over future posts. What were they banned for? 

I’m not sure what I wrote in my first ten posts or so, that made you think I was ‘acting exactly the same’ as another poster?! That’s an unfortunate foot for me to start off on, if people are already associating me with a previously banned poster.

Welcome to the Board.  You will need broad shoulders on here but stand your ground.  Stand on 👉

19 hours ago, Orraloon said:

This was obviously before FIFA started doing rankings, but I have always thought that a full strength Scotland team would have been in the top 6 at that time. And, West Germany wouldn't have been one of that top 6.

Unfortunately we weren't able to deploy a full strength team once we got to Argentina.

I found this reddit post on historical World Cup betting.

1978 pre tournament odds

3/1 West Germany 

7/2 Brazil

5/1 Argentina 

6/1 Scotland, Italy, Netherlands 

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/8z08mz/favourites_and_underdogs_in_world_cups_since_1978/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

13 hours ago, Mickey The Brave said:

Please don’t edit my quote, in order to misquote me like that, that isn’t fair.

Not a chance, I'm going to milk this for a while yet. However, just to show I do care about the welfare of folk esp TAMBers the link below may help you...

https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/contact-samaritan/

Never realised it,but i see this tournament is statiscally the worst performance we have had in a tournament.Even in Argentina,which was widely regarded as a disaster,we got 4 points and scored 5 goals.At this tournament,even for the first time having 2 games at home,we got 1 point and scored 1 goal.No way around it....Truly truly dismal.

6 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Never realised it,but i see this tournament is statiscally the worst performance we have had in a tournament.Even in Argentina,which was widely regarded as a disaster,we got 4 points and scored 5 goals.At this tournament,even for the first time having 2 games at home,we got 1 point and scored 1 goal.No way around it....Truly truly dismal.

You’ve got to take the fact we were bottom seeds into account which I’m not sure has happened too many times before. 92 and 96 possibly? 

If you are in a group of 4 and the three other teams are better than you then you’d do well to get more than one point. The fact we got our only point away from home against the top seeds would suggest being at home with a quarter full stadium wasn’t much of an advantage.