Team vs Czech’s - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team vs Czech’s

Guest Scot1

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I get that but O'Donnell does attack and has offered three assists for goals in crunch matches in the last six to eight months so lets not pretend he does not cross the halfway line or sits back all the time as it just isn't the case. Patterson's time will come but its too soon for me.

Fair point. Patterson just looks more direct for me. Up to mr Clarke now! Time will tell. Really looking forward to it though.  First time I have been excited about Scotland games for years.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Marshall
  2. SOD
  3. Robertson
  4. Hanley
  5. Gallagher
  6. Tierney
  7. Mctominay
  8. McGregor
  9. McGinn
  10. Adams
  11. Dykes

Standard 3-5-2. 

Would be surprised if it differed from that. I'm not sure gilmour is ready yet (even though he's a top talent).

Potentially Fraser to come in for Adams as he caused real issues for Czech the last time we played.

Also, we need to remember Gilmour and Patterson had cameo's against 10 men in a meaningless(after the red card) friendly. I wouldn't read too much into that game.

Edited by peterclarke23

37 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Aye. Haven't seen much of Patterson as I don't think any of us have. But you know. I got sick of watching Scotland under Roxburgh, brown and levien. Too defensive. I don't want us to sit back any more. If we have attacking full backs then play them imo. We have nothing to lose in the euros so we should be brave. No more negativity. Seen it and got the t shirt.

Aren’t you a Rangers supporter? 

20 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Aren’t you a Rangers supporter? 

Yes. But he is deputy to our captain and only has cameo appearances. That's a problem for us. He isn't getting much game time. On the occasion he does get a game he looks good. But taverneir has the shirt. Comprehende?

Just now, Rolling hIlls said:

Yes. But he is deputy to our captain and only has cameo appearances. That's a problem for us. He isn't getting much game time. On the occasion he does get a game he looks good. But taverneir has the shirt. Comprehende?

Same with gilmour,comprehended? Or am I trolling again according to our English friend who hasn't answered my question. Funny how u get some people on here who cannot have a laugh and just like to personally attack other posters. Anyway. Each to their own. Stand on.

14 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Too soon for him in such a massive match for my liking. Patterson's job is both attacking and defending not solely attacking where others have to bail him out. And like I said the Czechs threat is height in attack at set pieces. O'Donnell's greater height and physicality than Patterson is another plus. I am not saying I would be distraught if Patterson starts but I would be very nervous.

Patterson is taller than O'Donnell. Patterson is 6"2

4 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Masopust played last night and scored. I was impressed with him against Rangers. Remember the terrific save by McGregor in the last minute of the first leg? That was from Masopust. Him and Soucek of West Ham will need tracked for runs, which becomes a consideration for our holding/defensive midfielders.

Of the Czech's at Slavia, Provod really, really impressed me. He was a winger who has converted in to a CM. He is really strong, powerful and athletic. He just ghosted so many of Rangers midfield.

I can see Provod being a breakout star this tournament and getting a big move post EURO's.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It just seems it is the way of fans. They see a player they want in the side regardless of factors and then turn to belittling/berating a player in the side who plays in their preferred players' position. That player then gets criticised without real due cause in a bid to shoe-horn preferred player into the side (not saying Proud Scot) but have seen it many times before.

I think Patterson has great potential and reminds me of Hutton in more ways than one. Breaks at pace but covering back is a weakness and too much of a risk to throw in there for this match. Luxembourg exposed him and so I am sure the Czechs would. If he were to play and get exposed and cost us a goal it may shatter his confidence before his international career has really started. I'd be excited if he was picked for attacking threat but petrified by the defence being exposed down the right flank.

Patterson is a risk that might pay off.

O'Donnell is not a risk that also might pay off. 

Belittling O'Donnell will always backfire because all you need to do is point to his past, what, 15 caps? O'Donnell is there on merit. 

Saying all that, if Clarke has looked closely at Patterson in training and believes he is the better player and is ready for the big time, I'll trust his judgement. The only real reason I can't confidently say Patterson could be an option is because I've never really seen him defend. 

Although Gilmour has had comparable game time as Patterson at club football, he just looks like a fully established midfielder and it may turn out Clarke decides he is just too good to exclude.

58 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

I think he played 14 times for Rangers last season. I watched all of them. As a fellow Rangers supporter I thought you might have as well. I would’ve said that 14 appearances was a bit more than “cameo”. Capisce?

For me too early for Patterson and although I think Gilmour is ready, I think he will be on the bench to begin with.

Marshall

Hanley, Cooper, Tierney

O’Donnell, McTominay, McGregor, McGinn, Robertson

Adams, Dykes

The only doubts I have on this team are whether he plays Armstrong and moves McGinn forward to support Dykes or plays Adams in support. Absolutely buzzing for it, regardless of the team!

4 hours ago, gaz7 said:

I am definitely of opinion armstrong should start. He is rated just behind ings as Southampton best player by their fand and his running with ball is different to our other midfielders. Armstrong and Mctominay to left and right of gilmour with mcginn supporting dykes will let us dominate middle of park I feel. Paterson at rwb and I'm not too fussed with who plays at cb next to tierney. Any 2 from hanley.hendry.gallacher.cooper. will be ok

I agree with this. Armstrong was our best player in last two games.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I get that but O'Donnell does attack and has offered three assists for goals in crunch matches in the last six to eight months so lets not pretend he does not cross the halfway line or sits back all the time as it just isn't the case. Patterson's time will come but its too soon for me.

Yeah I think Patterson is definitely a more attacking full back but when you are playing as a wing back you have no choice but to get forward when the team is in possession.

I think O’Donnell will definitely start on Monday but if we are dominating the game and O’Donnell isn’t making an impression down the right then we may we’ll see Patterson come on in the second half. 

Marshall

Hendry.  Hanley  Tierney

Patterson.  Mctominay.   Gilmour.  Robbo

McGinn

Dykes.     Adams

I think Clarke will go O'Donnell which i do understand as if we chasing game ge can bring pattersom off bench. Also think he will play very much off form callum mcgregor which will be a mistake. 

Guest Scot1
6 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Patterson has faced Boril twice recently, against Slavia Prague. Those games were the first time I’d really seen Patterson and I thought he was just ‘raw’ at the start of the first game, but he grew into it and dominated Boril in the end. This was the game that saw Gerrard say Patterson became a man that night. Boril is the Slavia captain; a tough competitor but there’s a reason he’s with Slavia at 31 years old, and not in a better league. Second game - Patterson was superb. Their first goal came from a Boril cross but Patterson was covering inside and I think it was Arfield that was trying to close him down. I’m sure Clarke will take this into consideration, as well as what he’s seeing in training. Boril will be having nightmares about Patterson but not so much about O’Donnell. A combination of Fraser and Patterson should provide plenty of opportunities from their left flank. Interesting...

I didn’t know that, I’d definitely stick Patterson on him now 

Guest Scot1
2 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Of the Czech's at Slavia, Provod really, really impressed me. He was a winger who has converted in to a CM. He is really strong, powerful and athletic. He just ghosted so many of Rangers midfield.

I can see Provod being a breakout star this tournament and getting a big move post EURO's.

Didn’t play last night and wasn’t in the squad???

2 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

5 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Didn’t play last night and wasn’t in the squad???

I’m pretty sure he was ruled out of the Euros with a knee injury. 

Guest Scot1
5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m pretty sure he was ruled out of the Euros with a knee injury. 

That’s unfortunate for the Czech’s. Maybe that’s why they didn’t look too impressive last night

1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

That’s unfortunate for the Czech’s. Maybe that’s why they didn’t look too impressive last night

Aye and they lost the racist Kudela as well. I’m pretty sure he started their qualifiers in March. 

Guest Scot1
11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Aye and they lost the racist Kudela as well. I’m pretty sure he started their qualifiers in March. 

We can most definitely hurt them down both flanks. 
They seemed to play quite narrow the majority of yesterday’s game. And Hampden is a very big pitch. 

My team. 

Gordon

Hendry Cooper Tierney

Patterson McTominay Gilmour Robertson

McGinn

Dykes Adam

Steve Clarke’s team

Marshall

Hendry Hanley Tierney

O’Donnell McTominay McGregor Robertson

McGinn Christie

Dykes

I would be happy with most of the teams selected so far, not really many weak links in the squad.

However, formation wise, I hope he goes with two 6's and a 10. 

The formation of one 6 and two 8's either side like McTominay and McGinn either side of McGregor didn't work

McTom and McGinn were in unnatural positions, and it also seem to stifle Tierney bombing forward, as he had a midfielder in his space. This could also limit Hendry driving forward rom RCB as well....

McTom and Gilmour as two holding creative midfielders, McGinn ahead of them in the 10 position and Dykes and Adams up front, would be my preferred formation. However, Christie, Armstrong and Fraser could also fit into the various positions.... 

This would allow the Wing Backs and outside Centre Backs to attack when required as well

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I think he played 14 times for Rangers last season. I watched all of them. As a fellow Rangers supporter I thought you might have as well. I would’ve said that 14 appearances was a bit more than “cameo”. Capisce?

I do watch the games but never knew he started that many. My point is if taverneir is fit he won't get much game time.