Team vs Czech’s - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team vs Czech’s

Guest Scot1

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about McTominay’s performance on Sunday. He’s a big game player and they don’t come much bigger our next match. 

Yeah, I'm not really worried. It's clear McTominay was just dying to get a goal. His positioning, or lack of, really messed with the shape of the team. Though not more than the opposition getting someone sent off.

I'm sure it is out of his system now. He'll undoubtedly be one of our best players by the end of the tournament. The bigger conundrum is who will start next to him. 

30 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Can you do everyone a favour and keep your trolling to the non TA section

Please tell me where I trolled anyone in my above post. If you can then please let me and everyone know. I said it was a great thread and that Gilmour and Patterson will need more game time at club level going forward.  If that is trolling then......... my my.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Gordon 

Hendry Cooper Tierney

Patterson                        robertson

Mctominay    gilmour

Mcginn

Dykes      Adams

I've no idea why dykes would be left out of anyone's team

Happy with that team though I think he'll pick O'Donnell over Patterson.

39 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Can you do everyone a favour and keep your trolling to the non TA section

Trolling who? Said it was a great thread and gilmour and Patterson need more club time. How is that trolling?? And i have been following Scotland for 40 years and won't be told to get off a ta discussion. Not by you. 

Several people saying they want Patterson to start but does anyone think he actually will?

To me it seems like there's a 0% chance of it actually happening. Assuming Hendry starts, are we really going into the first game of the Euro's with a RWB and RCB who have never been on the pitch together (in a match).

Gilmour is the only one I think could maybe get into the team. Depends what's happening in training too. The covid issues make it difficult to read anything into the teams we put out over the last few games.

6 minutes ago, paper_lion said:

Several people saying they want Patterson to start but does anyone think he actually will?

To me it seems like there's a 0% chance of it actually happening. Assuming Hendry starts, are we really going into the first game of the Euro's with a RWB and RCB who have never been on the pitch together (in a match).

Gilmour is the only one I think could maybe get into the team. Depends what's happening in training too. The covid issues make it difficult to read anything into the teams we put out over the last few games.

Its hard to read steve Clarke. He would be a good poker player. But I trust his judgement i really do.

I am almost certain this will be Clarkes starting 11 for first game.

Marshall

Hendry.   Hanley  Tierney
O'Donnel                    Robbertson

Mc Gregor
     McTominay.       McGinn
           Adams (or Christie)

Dykes

> Its hard to read steve Clarke. He would be a good poker player. But I trust his judgement i really do.

Aye - in Stevie Clarke we trust!

Edited by Haggis_trap

13 minutes ago, paper_lion said:

Given that Stephen O’Donnell looked fairly pish v Luxembourg it wouldn’t surprise me if Patterson started. 

15 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

I am almost certain this will be Clarkes starting 11 for first game.

Marshall

Hendry.   Hanley  Tierney
O'Donnel                    Robbertson

Mc Gregor
     McTominay.       McGinn
           Adams (or Christie)

Dykes

> Its hard to read steve Clarke. He would be a good poker player. But I trust his judgement i really do.

Aye - in Stevie Clarke we trust!

I do trust his judgement. Hope he is here for the long haul. Scotland look a not bad squad now. Just missing a poacher imo. A mcoist or more johnston. But we don't have any like that just now but looking not too bad.

11 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Given that Stephen O’Donnell looked fairly pish v Luxembourg it wouldn’t surprise me if Patterson started. 

I haven't seen much of Patterson tbh.

If Patterson really was impressive up against Boril then that makes things more interesting.

I am definitely of opinion armstrong should start. He is rated just behind ings as Southampton best player by their fand and his running with ball is different to our other midfielders. Armstrong and Mctominay to left and right of gilmour with mcginn supporting dykes will let us dominate middle of park I feel. Paterson at rwb and I'm not too fussed with who plays at cb next to tierney. Any 2 from hanley.hendry.gallacher.cooper. will be ok

23 minutes ago, paper_lion said:

I haven't seen much of Patterson tbh.

If Patterson really was impressive up against Boril then that makes things more interesting.

I think Clarke knows to progress we need to beat the Czechs and to beat them we need our best team picked so guys like Cooper and Hendry will likely start as they are obviously better players than Gallagher etc. Also i think people will be surprised and Gilmour will come in for McGregor. 

52 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I can't see it. If Patterson was foremost in his mind to start Scotland's biggest match in over two decades he'd have started him against Luxembourg. And O'Donnell pish? Did Scotland concede in the first half? People are so quick for forget that O'Donnell had assists against Austria and Slovakia in crunch matches yet crucify him for.....well nothing.

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I can't see it. If Patterson was foremost in his mind to start Scotland's biggest match in over two decades he'd have started him against Luxembourg. And O'Donnell pish? Did Scotland concede in the first half? People are so quick for forget that O'Donnell had assists against Austria and Slovakia in crunch matches yet crucify him for.....well nothing.

He also made the forward pass to Dykes for the goal. His height is an asset, too. Both in defence and attack. He is fully deserving of his place in the team. I honestly think if he had been playing for Celtic no one would question it. (Celtic need a RB actually, and a CB and... a full team really.)

Gilmour might be the surprise package. Patterson and Turnbull are more likely to get sub appearances.

50 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

I am definitely of opinion armstrong should start. He is rated just behind ings as Southampton best player by their fand and his running with ball is different to our other midfielders. Armstrong and Mctominay to left and right of gilmour with mcginn supporting dykes will let us dominate middle of park I feel. Paterson at rwb and I'm not too fussed with who plays at cb next to tierney. Any 2 from hanley.hendry.gallacher.cooper. will be ok

That's the midfield I'd probably play against England. It can turn into a compact 4 man central midfield if we are under the cosh, but still have McGinn and Armstrong to burst forward.

Against the Czechs we might be able to afford a slightly more attacking approach. So you'd want Fraser or Christie on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Trolling who? Said it was a great thread and gilmour and Patterson need more club time. How is that trolling?? And i have been following Scotland for 40 years and won't be told to get off a ta discussion. Not by you. 

You're not interested in scotland, you're a troll.

16 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

He also made the forward pass to Dykes for the goal. His height is an asset, too. Both in defence and attack. He is fully deserving of his place in the team. I honestly think if he had been playing for Celtic no one would question it. (Celtic need a RB actually, and a CB and... a full team really.)

It just seems it is the way of fans. They see a player they want in the side regardless of factors and then turn to belittling/berating a player in the side who plays in their preferred players' position. That player then gets criticised without real due cause in a bid to shoe-horn preferred player into the side (not saying Proud Scot) but have seen it many times before.

I think Patterson has great potential and reminds me of Hutton in more ways than one. Breaks at pace but covering back is a weakness and too much of a risk to throw in there for this match. Luxembourg exposed him and so I am sure the Czechs would. If he were to play and get exposed and cost us a goal it may shatter his confidence before his international career has really started. I'd be excited if he was picked for attacking threat but petrified by the defence being exposed down the right flank.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It just seems it is the way of fans. They see a player they want in the side regardless of factors and then turn to belittling/berating a player in the side who plays in their preferred players' position. That player then gets criticised without real due cause in a bid to shoe-horn preferred player into the side (not saying Proud Scot) but have seen it many times before.

I think Patterson has great potential and reminds me of Hutton in more ways than one. Breaks at pace but covering back is a weakness and too much of a risk to throw in there for this match. Luxembourg exposed him and so I am sure the Czechs would. If he were to play and get exposed and cost us a goal it may shatter his confidence before his international career has really started. I'd be excited if he was picked for attacking threat but petrified by the defence being exposed down the right flank.

Tavernier got criticised for the same. But look at him now. I love full backs who attack. Gives us loads of options. If Patterson attacks then one of our defenders goes to cover just in case. Its a simple game. I would play him and gilmour. They are the future and will be desperate to impress. I hope they play. Rangers connections though so some on here won't be happy and resort to personal abuse about trolling. My oh my. Scotland Forever. 

It’s the same argument regarding Alexander-Arnold for England. Lots of talk about his defensive frailties, but if the manager is instructing him to get forward it’s then up to the manager to plan the covering player/s. Clarke has to decide if the potential attacking threat of Patterson is more important than a steadier approach from O’Donnell, who will still get forward at times, albeit not as dynamically or frequently as Patterson. I think Clarke will start with O’Donnell but depending on how the game progresses, might give Patterson a chance later on.

1 minute ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Tavernier got criticised for the same. But look at him now. I love full backs who attack. Gives us loads of options. If Patterson attacks then one of our defenders goes to cover just in case. Its a simple game. I would play him and gilmour. They are the future and will be desperate to impress. I hope they play. Rangers connections though so some on here won't be happy and resort to personal abuse about trolling. My oh my. Scotland Forever. 

Gilmour already looks the finished article and looks a better option than a player in the side (McGregor) and so I'd include him. Patterson though is a different matter where he has defensive vulnerabilities that showed up against Luxembourg and we cannot afford them. O'Donnell has not cost us any goals and has assists to his name in crunch games, has more experience and more height which is Czechs main threat hence O'Donnell ticks more boxes than Patterson. Patterson is a big gamble when there is no need to take one.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Gilmour already looks the finished article and looks a better option than a player in the side (McGregor) and so I'd include him. Patterson though is a different matter where he has defensive vulnerabilities that showed up against Luxembourg and we cannot afford them. O'Donnell has not cost us any goals and has assists to his name in crunch games, has more experience and more height which is Czechs main threat hence O'Donnell ticks more boxes than Patterson. Patterson is a big gamble when there is no need to take one.

Aye. Haven't seen much of Patterson as I don't think any of us have. But you know. I got sick of watching Scotland under Roxburgh, brown and levien. Too defensive. I don't want us to sit back any more. If we have attacking full backs then play them imo. We have nothing to lose in the euros so we should be brave. No more negativity. Seen it and got the t shirt.

1 minute ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Aye. Haven't seen much of Patterson as I don't think any of us have. But you know. I got sick of watching Scotland under Roxburgh, brown and levien. Too defensive. I don't want us to sit back any more. If we have attacking full backs then play them imo. We have nothing to lose in the euros so we should be brave. No more negativity. Seen it and got the t shirt.

I get that but O'Donnell does attack and has offered three assists for goals in crunch matches in the last six to eight months so lets not pretend he does not cross the halfway line or sits back all the time as it just isn't the case. Patterson's time will come but its too soon for me.