Team vs Czech’s - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team vs Czech’s

Guest Scot1

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

I don't know if this was encouraged or not, but you would think that the families would have got Covid tests before seeing the players. That would at least reduce the risk.

I get that a lot of these guys are fathers, and seeing their children could be the elixir they need going into the tournament. As with everything pandemic related, if you use common sense, you will be fine. But we are relying on probably hundreds of people being responsible. Fingers, toes, arms and eyes crossed. Losing Fleck was bad enough.

I don’t want to tempt fate but these guys have been living with their families throughout the pandemic and the vast majority of them (all of them except Armstrong and Fleck I think) haven’t caught the virus even when it was far more prevalent than it is now. 

There is obviously risk involved but it’s probably unreasonable to expect people not to see their families for 5 weeks or potentially longer. 

Fingers crossed there are no further issues and we can concentrate on the football. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t want to tempt fate but these guys have been living with their families throughout the pandemic and the vast majority of them (all of them except Armstrong and Fleck I think) haven’t caught the virus even when it was far more prevalent than it is now. 

There is obviously risk involved but it’s probably unreasonable to expect people not to see their families for 5 weeks or potentially longer. 

Fingers crossed there are no further issues and we can concentrate on the football. 

Pretty sure Tierney and Turnbull have both had Covid as well. I could be wrong on that. That at least reduces the chance that they will re-catch it (I know it is still possible)

23 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Pretty sure Tierney and Turnbull have both had Covid as well. I could be wrong on that. That at least reduces the chance that they will re-catch it (I know it is still possible)

I forgot about Tierney and didn’t know about Turnbull.

I suppose more of them could have had it and we just don’t know about it.

We’ll just need to keep our fingers crossed and hope there are no positive results over the next few days. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I forgot about Tierney and didn’t know about Turnbull.

I suppose more of them could have had it and we just don’t know about it.

We’ll just need to keep our fingers crossed and hope there are no positive results over the next few days. 

So, we know we at least have Fleck, Tierney, Turnbull and Armstrong safe(ish). Send out an SOS to A. McGregor, Griffiths and a few others and we'll still have a strong team.... (I'm trying to look at the worst case scenarios positively 😅)

With the exception of Robbo and Tierney, I feel like you could put out 2 completely different starting 11s and it would look almost identical strength.

Imagine these 2 teams playing against each other. Who would win?

Marshall
     Hendry Cooper McKenna
Patterson                  Robertson
        McTominay      Gilmour
                   Armstrong
                  Christie
                          Dykes

Vs

Gordon
     Hanley Gallagher Tierney
O'Donnell                       Taylor
           McGregor  McGinn
                    Turnbull
                 Fraser
                      Adams

Forrest, Fleck and Nisbet narrowly missing out. Our strength in depth is insane.

48 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

With the exception of Robbo and Tierney, I feel like you could put out 2 completely different starting 11s and it would look almost identical strength.

Imagine these 2 teams playing against each other. Who would win?

Marshall
     Hendry Cooper McKenna
Patterson                  Robertson
        McTominay      Gilmour
                   Armstrong
                  Christie
                          Dykes

Vs

Gordon
     Hanley Gallagher Tierney
O'Donnell                       Taylor
           McGregor  McGinn
                    Turnbull
                 Fraser
                      Adams

Forrest, Fleck and Nisbet narrowly missing out. Our strength in depth is insane.

lol insane? gotta admire your optimism.

1 minute ago, Tartan Chris said:

Thought the McFadden team on the BBC preview last night was one I'd like to see, front two of Adams and Dyke, McGinn in number 10 role and Gilmour starting. Can't see Clarke doing that though.

Harsh on likes of Christie but he'd be a good sub on hour mark along with Fraser.

Skipped it as It was probably full of "England are going to win", etc.

I watched the Sportscene preview. I'm sure Shelley Kerr is a lovely woman, but when she had Craig Gordon in goals and insisted that Che Adams is better than Lydon Dykes as a lone front role, I came to the conclusion that she knows very little.

It's weird thinking that she was on the shortlist after McLeish left. *shudder*

Regardless of the starting 11 , the fact there are 5 subs available for each game is a bit  of a change . Beneficial to us now we do tend to have equally able replacement in most positions. 
If , as I hope, we advance. Every player in the squad has a roll to play. 
trusting Clarke whatever his selection.

think it has been mentioned that no Scotland manager has had a squad together for such an extended time . In addition to that , Scotland were relatively late qualifying ( last ? ) Given the two penalty shootout victories achieved it is fair to say this squad has already bonded a bit .

stars aligning 🤗 Or imminent meteor strike  🥴

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

lol insane? gotta admire your optimism.

Compared to previous Scotland squads, where picking a decent 11, nevermind 26, was tough, yeah, I'd say insane. However, I do admit my hysteria is possibly going into overdrive. There is more where that came from 😛

After watching Dykes again v serbia ; winning the ball / his hold up play to set up Andy Robertson compared to bunch of Adams misses v luxembourg i know who id pick 

i dont feel that goals scored at club level is that relevant at intl level for Scotland , as option to create chances for midfield players bring others into game ?

i also think Hanley is rank

48 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

After watching Dykes again v serbia ; winning the ball / his hold up play to set up Andy Robertson compared to bunch of Adams misses v luxembourg i know who id pick 

i dont feel that goals scored at club level is that relevant at intl level for Scotland , as option to create chances for midfield players bring others into game ?

i also think Hanley is rank

To be fair to Adams he actually scored against Luxembourg while Dykes had a bunch of misses against them without scoring. I don’t think you can judge either player on a single game. 

It's getting insanely close now, fantastic but, I don't know about others, but deeply emotional with this old git. After all this time away!!!

Back to the team for Monday, we don't have the insight to what is happening in training so trust in Mr Clarke.

Marshall - O'Donnell- Hendry- Gallagher- Tierney - Robertson - McTominey - McGregor - McGinn - Armstrong - Dykes.

Armstrong probably looked the best out of himself, Christie, Fraser and Adams during the warm ups. 

Depending how is it going, subs at half time / ( Gilmour, one the three mentioned above, early second half.

Marshall
       Hanley  Cooper Tierney
Fraser                            Robertson
         McTominay      Gilmour
                     McGinn
             Christie     Dykes

2 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Marshall
       Hanley  Cooper Tierney
Fraser                            Robertson
         McTominay      Gilmour
                     McGinn
             Christie     Dykes

That team could score a few against the Czechs. I hope it's this or something close. It's the one game we really should go all out and attack in.

Edited by Tartan blood

25 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Right now I am at the stage where I couldn't give a jot who starts as long as we come out with a result. A win would be the perfect start, a draw would not be ideal but not a disaster but a loss would be a real blow.

Agree with all of this.  Listened to BBC Sportsound yesterday and everyone is trying to guess the team.  Great stuff.  A draw wouldn't be a disaster but the they are in the same boat as us.  They want a win too.  I will be praying for a win tomorrow.  Just good to be back at the top table.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Indeed. Heck I have got around to filling out a wallchart again for the first time in 23 years.

Forgot all about them.  We always had one at work in the staffroom.  £1 a go!!  Buzzing for tomorrow but still got a bit of the doom part in my stomach.  We all need to be prepared for the doom!!  It's in our blood.  But I think we will win.  Scotland Forever.

1 minute ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Forgot all about them.  We always had one at work in the staffroom.  £1 a go!!  Buzzing for tomorrow but still got a bit of the doom part in my stomach.  We all need to be prepared for the doom!!  It's in our blood.  But I think we will win.  Scotland Forever.

I'd sooner be part of the party preparing for doom though than sat here with nothing to look forward to for the national team again. 😉

Lets get intae them and what will be will be.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'd sooner be part of the party preparing for doom though than sat here with nothing to look forward to for the national team again. 😉

Lets get intae them and what will be will be.

Not preparing for doom, but as we all know we get our hopes built up very easily.  I am still scarred afetr going to the Costa Rica game in 1990.  And then we pulled it out of the bag against Sweden which was the best game and atmosphere of my life.  But still failed against Brazil.  I hope we don't meet Brazil until the final this month 🤪

28 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Indeed. Heck I have got around to filling out a wallchart again for the first time in 23 years.

Got one up in my classroom. The kids will fill in the scores and fill out the tables 😀. They've done a wee challenge puzzle based on our group. I'll post it up for anyone that wants a go. It's a bit tricky 😂