The news thread - Page 240 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I'd also add, Anderson says things like he wants his country back and islamists are taking over London. 

It's not hyperbole to say this is the type of rabble rousing nonsense that was heard in Germany in the 20s and 30s.

And in America since 2016 🥴

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Anderson is grade A moron. He believes that millions of people think the same way as him and braverman. The reality is its a very vocal minority of people who think like them

The six bob knob 😄

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Anderson is grade A moron. He believes that millions of people think the same way as him and braverman. The reality is its a very vocal minority of people who think like them

I don't know, it's a bit concerning that it could be more than a moronity (!). That one quote starting with "it's not controversial, it's what people are thinking etc..." is immediately answerable with historical detail and some recent history too. There's no point in the media or opposition just saying the equivalent of "that's terrible, he shouldn't be saying that". It's easily debunked. It's not biased to say "let's look at what was said in the 1930s and where that led" or ask "how did some people end up displaced and making their home in the UK?". The Tories have sold the UK to anybody, if he genuinely wants his country back he should ask them. 

Labour are currently polling 36% in Andersons's constituency. More that Con(18%) and Reform(17%) combined. However the Independent is polling 22%. Greens and LD combined are 7%. I can't see how Anderson can retain his seat as not enough Tories will transfer over. 

1 hour ago, StirlingEgg said:

I don't know, it's a bit concerning that it could be more than a moronity (!). That one quote starting with "it's not controversial, it's what people are thinking etc..." is immediately answerable with historical detail and some recent history too. There's no point in the media or opposition just saying the equivalent of "that's terrible, he shouldn't be saying that". It's easily debunked. It's not biased to say "let's look at what was said in the 1930s and where that led" or ask "how did some people end up displaced and making their home in the UK?". The Tories have sold the UK to anybody, if he genuinely wants his country back he should ask them. 

At the start of my post earlier he says he doesn’t know big words like other MP’s which leads to him being labelled offensive. This could be interpreted as him simply being stupid but he is actually correct. Loads of MP’s are effectively saying the same thing but are sometimes smarter with the words they use. It doesn’t make them any better than him but they get away with it.

He then goes on to say :

All I want is my country back. This may sound offensive to the liberal elite, but it’s not offensive to my friends, my family, my constituents and some of my donors.

So is he saying that the rest of them think he IS being offensive , but are still backing him with cash???

Unless I am misinterpreting him( which is entirely possible!) that is a pretty stupid thing to say. 

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

Labour are currently polling 36% in Andersons's constituency. More that Con(18%) and Reform(17%) combined. However the Independent is polling 22%. Greens and LD combined are 7%. I can't see how Anderson can retain his seat as not enough Tories will transfer over. 

Hope  mum and dad are preparing the spare room for their wee boy when he is back on the dole. 

Virtually all Tories with the exception of William Hague are using play on words to avoid the comments about Dianne Abbott being construed as racist. Just exemplifies how far the Tories will go to avoid further ground being lost to the far right. 

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Just found out the newsreader Nick Sheridan died last week. Only 32 😕

Was a distinctive voice with his Irish accent and seemed like a good guy.

Tragic, isn't it? Suffered a brain aneurysm while out running, apparently. Seemingly he was well liked and very highly regarded. 

Frank Hester is the biggest ever donors to the Tory party. About £10 million. Where does he get his money from? Well, a fair chunk of it comes from contracts awarded by the government. So, the UK taxpayer is effectively funding the Tory party whilst at the same time putting millions of pounds into the pockets of this racist fuker. Nothing corrupt going on here. 

Edited by Orraloon

In somewhat better news, Gudrun Ure, who played Supergran, turns 98 today - I assumed she'd popped her clogs years ago!

She must only have been in her late-50s/early-60s when she started playing the role.

45 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Virtually all Tories with the exception of William Hague are using play on words to avoid the comments about Dianne Abbott being construed as racist. Just exemplifies how far the Tories will go to avoid further ground being lost to the far right. 

She's had some amount of unacceptable abuse for years and it just seems to be treated as the norm because she got some figures wrong. Meanwhile the Tories get away with repeat lying, deflecting and "I don't recognise that..." on a daily basis along with stirring up the very extremism they're outraged against. 

37 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Frank Hester is the biggest ever donors to the Tory party. About £10 million. Where does he get his money from? Well, a fair chunk of it comes from contracts awarded by the government. So, the UK taxpayer is effectively funding the Tory party whilst at the same time putting millions of pounds into the pockets of this racist fuker. Nothing corrupt going on here. 

Precisely. His pal Lord Marland said:

"He’s an international businessman, he travels widely overseas - he does a lot of a business in Jamacia, he does business in Malaysia, in Bangladesh - so he’s not a racist."

😂😂

Aye and he listens to Erasure so he can't be homophobic either 

2 hours ago, EddardStark said:

I have just read about this. It is absolutely outrageous that anyone is trying to excuse it.  If this was a regular Joe in a company and he spoke about anyone like this in a meeting he would rightly be condemned and probably sacked .

No one seems to be mentioning the executive he was talking about that led on to Dianne Abbot, that is terrible too.

The fact this guy is the  biggest donor to the party that has been in government for 15 years. AND has an OBE , only shows how far politics has sunk in the UK. 

Assuming this is true there is no way anyone can try to defend it.

IMG_9454.jpeg.f7f8595bf52a10b1c741ee9073049c5b.jpeg

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I have just read about this. It is absolutely outrageous that anyone is trying to excuse it.  If this was a regular Joe in a company and he spoke about anyone like this in a meeting he would rightly be condemned and probably sacked .

No one seems to be mentioning the executive he was talking about that led on to Dianne Abbot, that is terrible too.

The fact this guy is the  biggest donor to the party that has been in government for 15 years. AND has an OBE , only shows how far politics has sunk in the UK. 

Assuming this is true there is no way anyone can try to defend it.

IMG_9454.jpeg.f7f8595bf52a10b1c741ee9073049c5b.jpeg

Sunak needs to sort out his own party. Hester, then you had the contestant in University Challenge getting death threats because of a big mouth MP, Keegan saying she'd have punched Ofsted inspectors. For a party that claims to be concerned about MPs safety they need to set a better example.

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

More drama in the commons. The speaker never gave Abbott the chance to speak.

Shambles

Yes. That was very poor. Also the sight of Anderson and Galloway sitting together was surreal. 

Yes. I know a man that knows a man who sorted it, as they say, its not  what you know its who you know. 😁

I didn’t even realise it was down till i was told. I will need to leave instructions in my Will 😁

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Yes. I know a man that knows a man who sorted it, as they say, its not  what you know its who you know. 😁

I didn’t even realise it was down till i was told. I will need to leave instructions in my Will 😁

Phew! I was worried Gove had his highlighter pen hovering over the TAMB address 👀

On 3/13/2024 at 4:14 PM, vanderark14 said:

More drama in the commons. The speaker never gave Abbott the chance to speak.

Shambles

I'm absolutely certain I heard this on LBC today...

Diane Abbott stood up to speak FORTY-SIX times yesterday?!

A room full of people (mainly white men) were talking about a black woman whilst she was in the room and Hoyle didn't allow her to speak?!?!?!

Fucking Hell. Odd place that Westminster.

P.S. just announced MP's to get a 5% pay rise.

1 hour ago, StirlingEgg said:

Phew! I was worried Gove had his highlighter pen hovering over the TAMB address 👀

I can only assume we must have been saved by his ‘christian forgiveness’ ..

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68559314.amp

Announcing the ban, Lord Parkinson of Whitley Bay said the new law would "rule out newspaper and periodical news magazine mergers involving ownership, influence or control by foreign states".

Oh the irony. The first thing an independent Scotland should do is ban the entire UK press. 

Yup and boot that Paul Dacre off the land he owns up here. 

28 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

So if I understand this correctly MPs can't meet with people trying to overthrow democracy by violent means but the Government is happy to take money from people who want to kill democratically elected MPs.

Going by the clips on twatter Stephen Flynn is on top form on tonight's Question Time

Fiona Bruce is trying desperately to interupt him and failing