The news thread - Page 227 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😂 canny believe someone of your age hasn’t heard of Steve Wright. Have you heard of Tony Blackburn or Ken Bruce ? 

What about George Bowies GBX experience? 

Ken Bruce, I first heard about on the TAMB when radio 2 sacked him and loads of you were going on about him. I then made a point of listening to his program on the new station he went to. He was more boring than my grandad. What's all the fuss about?

Not a clue who George Bowie is. 

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Ken Bruce, I first heard about on the TAMB when radio 2 sacked him and loads of you were going on about him. I then made a point of listening to his program on the new station he went to. He was more boring than my grandad. What's all the fuss about?

Not a clue who George Bowie is. 

😂 I have to be honest and say I can’t see the huge appeal of  Ken Bruce either, though I never really migrated from Radio 1 to Radio 2 when I hit a particular age, like most folk who grow old gracefully do  . I just retired completely from the radio than  admit I liked Crosby stills and Nash . 

That said , my daughters both like some old guy called John who is on Smooth Radio, I think he really is a granpa DJ though I have never heard him either.

You will definitely not know George Bowie . I was just joking. He plays all the head bangin stuff that the young ones like on a Saturday night. He is almost as old as me as well. I do quite like him on the morning show though, the 5k minute is a good wee quiz at 8.10 which I sometimes catch when driving to work. A caller has to answer 10 general knowledge questions right in a minute and will win £5k. I am absolutely shite at it though. 5/10 is about my average. 

Me and ma mate Used to listen to Steve Wright in the afternoon in the late 70's early 80's up the back of our English class with a wee tiny transistor radio. 

He introduced us to some new bands, orchestral manoeuvres in the dark being one. I remember being gobsmacked by the name of the band and what a tune Enola gay was ..

We were equally disappointed by his first appearance on top of the pops..he certainly has a face for radio.

Never listened to him after I left school, was working,and found his sunday show boak inducing...

Another part of my school years memories.

Anyhoo, how did he die. 🤔 69 Seems quite young and was working away till recently 

6 hours ago, Alibi said:

I think that was the problem.  Criticising a country (or its government) is a totally different matter from racism or anti-semitism.  For a start, not all Jews live in or are from Israel, and may Jews are critical of Israel and/or the Israeli government.  That IHRA definition was specifically created to allow anyone who said, for example, that Netanyahu was an evil murderer, to be branded as anti-semitic and nobody was supposed to argue against that line.  I have no time for Netanyahu or his current actions in Gaza, but I don't have anything against anyone just because they choose to follow the Jewish faith. My paternal grandfather fled Lithuania (then part of Russia) in 1867 at the age of 6, due to a pogrom and ended up in Glasgow via Dublin (then in the UK).  I'm a devout atheist with a fully intact tadger, but I do remember the anti-semitism and racism that was prevalent during my youth in the 60s and beyond and which was widely accepted - even some of the campfire songs in the scouts were riddled with various isms without anyone raising an eyebrow.  I hope we have moved beyond those days now but with some sections of society they've just moved on to a different target group.

My own race: Human.

If I'm trying to understand it better (or being Devil's Advocate) perhaps more recent criticism or analysis of Israel's actions can feed into or reignite historical anti-semitism. We can't (for the most part) possibly appreciate what it feels like to be connected to the horrors of that not so distant past. However, when some have asked questions along the lines of "how can they mistreat another race/religion when they have suffered so much hatred" then even making this comparison comes under that IHRA definition too. It is hard to see the suffering of Palestinians yet the headlines are all about the language of UK politicians as a reaction to that suffering. Everything seems to be a competition of suffering. 

20 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Kicking off in Kansas during the super bowl parade. Shots fired

I saw it was trending and just assumed it was because of Trump's faux pas about Kansas being a great state in relation to the Kansas City Chiefs - except Kansas City is in Missouri

Probably a Jets fan that has taken enough (The winning touchdown was scored by a player the Jets released in October for being rubbish)

Seriously - America is fucked and it's going to get much worse this year

7 hours ago, dan cake said:

Legend, devotion his life to radio, touched us all and a national treasure ffs! I’m not happy he’s dead but he was just an unfunny cunt that played (talked over) records 

Nae harm to the fella, it sounds like he's another who has gone before his time and it's obviously very sad news for his friends and family, but personally I haven't given him a second thought since about 1994!

Maybe the reason for the slightly OTT eulogising is simply because well-liked within in the broadcasting world; and to be fair to him, if the worst thing he did in life was be unfunny, that puts him well ahead of some other deceased members of his profession!  😬

8 hours ago, scotlad said:

Nae harm to the fella, it sounds like he's another who has gone before his time and it's obviously very sad news for his friends and family, but personally I haven't given him a second thought since about 1994!

Maybe the reason for the slightly OTT eulogising is simply because well-liked within in the broadcasting world; and to be fair to him, if the worst thing he did in life was be unfunny, that puts him well ahead of some other deceased members of his profession!  😬

I also think that there will be people who like you  hadn't given him much thought in a while but who really enjoyed his show when they were younger, like Stocky. They may not be grief stricken at the news but it brings back good memories and a wee bit of sadness for times gone by. 
I thought he was funny and unlike some folk on here I liked the posse and the characters he used to do. It was fairly innocent and childish fun, I dont see much wrong with that. If the worst thing that happened to someone in work was being force fed Steve Wright in the afternoon I think you got off fairly light in those days ! 😊

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

I also think that there will be people who like you  hadn't given him much thought in a while but who really enjoyed his show when they were younger, like Stocky. They may not be grief stricken at the news but it brings back good memories and a wee bit of sadness for times gone by. 
I thought he was funny and unlike some folk on here I liked the posse and the characters he used to do. It was fairly innocent and childish fun, I dont see much wrong with that. If the worst thing that happened to someone in work was being force fed Steve Wright in the afternoon I think you got off fairly light in those days ! 😊

I used to love the radio 1 roadshow that went round the country during the summer. Haven’t listened to radio 1 in about 40 years tho. The original Northsound & now Original 106 are my choice of in car radio listening 👍

Two things have surprised me about Scots recently...

One is the number of people on here who liked Steve Wright and the other was when I discovered how popular Madness are in Scotland.

Don't know why, but they're just two things I didn't think would transfer over to a Scottish audience.

Edited by Rich NATA

4 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Aye, it was.

But I like the fact he posted the photo of The Smiths tour shirt with it 😊

😊

Despite all his songs and  outspokenness, whenever someone mentions Morrissey the first thing I think of is Willy Russell’s book The Wrong Boy. The main character is obsessed with him, I thought it was a great book. 

5 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

and the other was when I discovered how popular Madness are in Scotland.

Madness were massively popular in Scotland right from the off

The Hibs Casuals also came to adore their concerts ...

6 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Ingliston? Crazy night

That was infamous but they came through to the Barrowlands as well 

Think after Ingliston their concerts became a beacon for nedsville

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

That was infamous but they came through to the Barrowlands as well 

Think after Ingliston their concerts became a beacon for nedsville

First seen the at the Magnum in Irvine in 1980, gigs were a different ball game then,  absolute riot before and after. Nowadays it's just a singalong. 

Just another example of the news reporting in Scotland v England.
STV have this story on Scottish nursing applications being down and the usual unionist party onslaught about the SNP failings . ‘Dame’ Jackie Baillie throwing her tuppence worth in again. 

https://news.stv.tv/scotland/scottish-nursing-student-applications-fall-for-third-year-in-a-row

So , i googled ‘nursing applications England’. Their applications are even worse ( see below ) but not a mention of it anywhere except the FT who reported on the whole of the UK and did not mention anything about the government etc just concern that the applications are down. Its a small thing but unbelievable how differently it gets reported. 
https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/workforce/nursing-ucas-applications-fall-for-third-year-running-15-02-2024/

Confirmed

Jailed Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny has died, Russian media report, citing the prison service
Edited by Ally Bongo

London Overground has been split into different lines with new names and colours

A Windrush line and a Suffragette line and a Lioness line no less 😅 I kid you not

The new map

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/feb/15/london-overground-new-names-and-colours-for-six-lines-revealed

I see the Spectator is not amused, thinks it's dreadful (but what's not to like with Lionesses and Liberty?)