The news thread - Page 159 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Note that the BBC are avoiding George Alaghia's belief that he would still be alive if he lived in Scotland

SNP Baaaaad

I hadn't seen that.

Details here: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/mar/25/scottish-health-system-quicker-to-spot-cancer-says-george-alagiah

"In Scotland men and women are automatically offered screening for bowel cancer every two years from the age of 50; in England it starts at 60. The chance of survival for five years or more for those with stage four bowel cancer is less than 10% – however, if it is caught at stage one the chances are nearly 100%, according to Cancer Research UK.

Speaking to the Sunday Times, Alagiah said: “Had they had screening at 50, like they do in Scotland ... I would have been screened at least three times and possibly four by the time I was 58.

“We know that if you catch bowel cancer early, survival rates are tremendous. I have thought: why have the Scots got it and we don’t?” "

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

I hadn't seen that.

Details here: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/mar/25/scottish-health-system-quicker-to-spot-cancer-says-george-alagiah

"In Scotland men and women are automatically offered screening for bowel cancer every two years from the age of 50; in England it starts at 60. The chance of survival for five years or more for those with stage four bowel cancer is less than 10% – however, if it is caught at stage one the chances are nearly 100%, according to Cancer Research UK.

Speaking to the Sunday Times, Alagiah said: “Had they had screening at 50, like they do in Scotland ... I would have been screened at least three times and possibly four by the time I was 58.

“We know that if you catch bowel cancer early, survival rates are tremendous. I have thought: why have the Scots got it and we don’t?” "

60 is not strictly true. I’ve recently turned 58 and have just done my first bowel scan.  

The letter said they did them at 56 as well but I didn’t get the invite then so I can only imagine that it’s just started.  

I think it’s also a “post code lottery” as the letter implied that it was down to my GB Practice participating. 

2 hours ago, aaid said:

60 is not strictly true. I’ve recently turned 58 and have just done my first bowel scan.  

The letter said they did them at 56 as well but I didn’t get the invite then so I can only imagine that it’s just started.  

I think it’s also a “post code lottery” as the letter implied that it was down to my GB Practice participating. 

Might have been 60 five years go when the article was written..

Ex Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest player Chris Bart-Williams passes away aged only 49

Cause of death not yet stated

A bad day for Forest fans

4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Ex Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest player Chris Bart-Williams passes away aged only 49

Sad news. Remember him well from the 90’s when as a kid you’d watch any live game on the tv. 

7 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Why is it a bad day for Forest fans but not Wednesday ones?

22 minutes ago, aaid said:

Why is it a bad day for Forest fans but not Wednesday ones?

Are you anally retentive ?

22 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Are you anally retentive ?

Just admit that you’d forgotten that Trevor Francis played for and managed Sheffield Wednesday as well - and actually played more games for them than Forest. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Just admit that you’d forgotten that Trevor Francis played for and managed Sheffield Wednesday as well - and actually played more games for them than Forest. 

It was 1.30am when the news broke for me and i posted - my bad FFS

Did Trevor Francis score the winning goal in the European Cup Final for Sheffield Wednesday ?

Whenever Michelle Mone is trending on Twitter it’s amusing to see I what context she’s been brought up.  Today’s seems to be Suella Braverman going on about Just Stop Oil.  

Imagine being a meme for Tory corruption.

I can’t think what it’ll be like if she ever gets charged. 

What a fucking horrific and desperately sad story

There is another world out there that thankfully most of us dont experience

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66300209

Brother found guilty of Amber Gibson's murder

1 hour ago, phart said:

Sort of wish I hadn't read that. It's fucking horrific poor lassie.

What I can’t get my head around is the guy that found the dead body “touching her inappropriately” - and I don’t even want to think about what that entailed - and then moving the body.

The whole case is sick. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

What I can’t get my head around is the guy that found the dead body “touching her inappropriately” - and I don’t even want to think about what that entailed - and then moving the body.

The whole case is sick. 

Read that this morning while having my first “work” coffee of the day, genuinely disturbing then thought who the fuck would do that. After a quick scan of the office came to the conclusion probably half the people I work with 

I can remember the murder of Amanda Duffy in Hamilton by Francis Auld who got off on a not proven verdict

When you found out what the evil cunt did to her you obtain some sort of immunity for horrible things after that

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I can remember the murder of Amanda Duffy in Hamilton by Francis Auld who got off on a not proven verdict

When you found out what the evil cunt did to her you obtain some sort of immunity for horrible things after that

I’m obsessed by true crime documentaries and podcasts not for the actual crimes they’ve committed but the process of the investigations and how they got caught or didn’t in many cases, usually fast forward through the graphic details. Some seriously deranged people walking among us! 

17 minutes ago, dan cake said:

I’m obsessed by true crime documentaries and podcasts not for the actual crimes they’ve committed but the process of the investigations and how they got caught or didn’t in many cases, usually fast forward through the graphic details. Some seriously deranged people walking among us! 

I watched the Sixth Commandment recently. Thought it was really well done and well acted. It may have gone beyond the brief of the producer/writer but I would have liked a bit more on why Ben Field acted the way he did. We need to understand why some people act the way they do but maybe there is always something irrational about evil.

31 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Fuck knows what Strathclyde Polis and the PF were doing to not only get a not proven verdict initially but also to get a retrial knocked back in 2016 even though they submitted new evidence

Even though the cunt died of cancer in 2017 it's good knowing he spent most of his freedom looking over his shoulder and wondering if this was the day someone would get him

I know for certain that it was only due to the wishes of Amanda's parents being respected that he wasnt topped

He still had to move well away to Cornwall though

2 hours ago, dan cake said:

Read that this morning while having my first “work” coffee of the day, genuinely disturbing then thought who the fuck would do that. After a quick scan of the office came to the conclusion probably half the people I work with 

2 hours ago, dan cake said:

Huge red flag dan! 👀

https://themorningnews.com/news/2023/07/01/psychologists-says-watching-true-crime-is-a-big-red-flag/#:~:text=Watching brutal and violent scenes,you've gone too far.

Psychologists Says Watching True Crime is A ‘Big Red Flag’

Watching documentaries of serial killers and how they went about their lives may seem interesting, but psychologists have a different take on it. Psychologist Meredith Fuller said watching crime can do significant harm to a human’s brain as the horrors of watching crime can seep in personality which can make people more violent and less merciful.

43 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Huge red flag dan! 👀

https://themorningnews.com/news/2023/07/01/psychologists-says-watching-true-crime-is-a-big-red-flag/#:~:text=Watching brutal and violent scenes,you've gone too far.

Watching documentaries of serial killers and how they went about their lives may seem interesting, but psychologists have a different take on it. Psychologist Meredith Fuller said watching crime can do significant harm to a human’s brain as the horrors of watching crime can seep in personality which can make people more violent and less merciful.

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

57 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Huge red flag dan! 👀

You are a brave man poking fun at an almost self confessed psychopath. You shouldn't forget that he knows where you live. 😉🤣