The news thread - Page 47 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

any other country in the world.  Who knows how the global political landscape may evolve.

Weak Dominic Raab-esque answer.

So no countries has invaded Scotland for around 470 years but you think that is going to change but refuse to name where that threat is coming from?

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Weak Dominic Raab-esque answer.

So no countries has invaded Scotland for around 400 years but you think that is going to change but refuse to name where that threat is coming from?

who knows?  Russia was fine under Gorbachev….  Not so under Putin.  We don’t know what ambitions a country may evolve to have.

im sure I want the strongest military I can afford to defend our country.

Just now, Malcolm said:

who knows?  Russia was fine under Gorbachev….  Not so under Putin.  We don’t know what ambitions a country may evolve to have.

Ah right so Russia are going to send in troops from thousands of miles away for what reason exactly and where are they going to carry out this stealth attack across waters and airspace patrolled by countless other nations. You cannot name a viable country that could invade because there isn't one and hasn't been for 470 years. Are you trying to jostle to be a part of Better Together2 per chance?

As for the strongest military well you do not have that at the moment either but you seem accepting of it. It is very well-documented how the British Army is equipped with long outdated and malfunctioning equipment.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

First time I've seen anyone say Russia was fine under Gorbachev.......maybe the other countries under their communist rule would argue differently 

54 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Ah right so Russia are going to send in troops from thousands of miles away for what reason exactly and where are they going to carry out this stealth attack across waters and airspace patrolled by countless other nations. You cannot name a viable country that could invade because there isn't one and hasn't been for 470 years. Are you trying to jostle to be a part of Better Together2 per chance?

As for the strongest military well you do not have that at the moment either but you seem accepting of it. It is very well-documented how the British Army is equipped with long outdated and malfunctioning equipment.

The UK may be reportedly under funded and outdated but they're probably still in the top ten in the world.

A military isn't something I really care about. Plenty of countries flourish without a big military and nukes

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The UK may be reportedly under funded and outdated but they're probably still in the top ten in the world.

A military isn't something I really care about. Plenty of countries flourish without a big military and nukes

As I remember it from 2014 much was made of Scotland left undefended and that is just more front and BS. For example, what happens to all the funds Scotland contributed to the armed forces. They'd need recompensed in some way for that either cash-wise or military hardware-wise. Also there are already a number of Scottish regiments based around Scotland which, no doubt, would become part of the new Scottish Army. I cannot see those stationed there resigning because they are not part of a British Army. Other historic regiments (made defunct by Westminster) could be resurrected too.

Like you though it is not something I care too much about. Any future World War well there won't be a need for an army in an age of nukes.

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

how is trident a major negotiating point? I think it’s a given that this will need to be relocated over time should Scotland become independent.

Why would it be a given? On the day that Scotland became independent it decides what facilities remain on its land.

Now the sensible thing would be a negotiated solution which allows England to relocate over time however that only exists if England dont play "hard ball". 

12 hours ago, Malcolm said:

thplinth is correct here.  England are going to have far more power in any negotiations than we are due to their scale and wealth.

with globalisation it has blurred who owns what.  What is really indigenous to Scotland now?  Scottish power is Spanish owned, our two biggest banks are now owned by Lloyds and Nat west.  

what is there left that is headquartered in Scotland?

our economies are tightly integrated.  To say we will just switch off the water is naive.

our best hope is that the EU are desperate to have us back in to get up England.

Water is the new oil, as is our renewable energy potential.

That turncoat cunt Iain Macwhirter was giving "all Scotland has is whisky and tourism" in the Herald today apparently, but we're the only country in the UK to have a trade surplus.

The UK can't "do" Brexit as effectively without Scotland and considering they're struggling to get goods in and out of the country just now, the idea they would stop trading with somewhere just up the road from them just to teach them a lesson is for the birds.

19 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That turncoat cunt Iain Macwhirter was giving "all Scotland has is whisky and tourism" in the Herald today apparently, but we're the only country in the UK to have a trade surplus.

The UK can't "do" Brexit as effectively without Scotland and considering they're struggling to get goods in and out of the country just now, the idea they would stop trading with somewhere just up the road from them just to teach them a lesson is for the birds.

Absolutely spot on. 

Just look how desperate they are for trade deals? They were bumming up recent deals with Australia - hardly a trading powerhouse as if it was massive. A case of how the mighty has fallen.

Scotland is one of the biggest producers of renewable energy in Europe, Scottish Beef accounts for 75% of British meat exports and there is more water in Loch Ness than all of England's lakes put together. And no doubt about it Wesi ster could not play hardball when they are desperate to keep Trident based in Scotland. Like in 2014 it is all front and bullshit with them.

11 hours ago, scotlad said:

Absolutely. Lets pay an arm and a leg in shipping and fuel costs to import from the other side of the world instead of transporting goods 6 hours on the M6. Just to get it up them Jocks. 

12 hours ago, scotlad said:

In 2014, the Herald was a No supporting paper but not vehemently so as per the Mail or Express, it had a bit of a more nuanced view and certainly featured columnists and commentators on the Yes side, McWhirter was one of them.  He also wrote for the Sunday Herald which was the only unashamed pro-Yes paper.  So he wrote pro-Indy stuff.

Then Newsquest started the National, which is a pro-Indy title, then they closed down the Sunday Herald and essentially made the Herald a counterpoint to the National and it has been getting more and more Uber-No over the period, McWhirter writes solely for them.

Kathleen Nutt who was the chief reporter - or something similar - at the National has moved over to the Herald and she’s getting stick now for some of her articles that are either Indy, or more commonly, SNP or SG critical.

Who knows what these people actually think, they’re journalists who are writing what they get paid to write.   At least Kevin McKenna is consistent in his views, he’s a miserable bastard that supports Indy but not the SNP a view of what it should look like - or at least what he thinks the SNP want.   The only difference is that all the SNP Bad stuff goes in the Herald and the non-aligned stuff goes in the National and it’s all miserable stuff😂

I remember seeing an interview with David Clegg when he was the Political Editor at the Record and he made the point that he “couldn’t do his job at a paper like the Record if he was a Tory”, which I took to mean be broadly a Labour perspective.  That didn’t stop him going to the Courier though, so clearly you can write for a Tory paper if you’re Labour. 

And don’t forget if you are Sturgeon’s Chief of Staff wishing to illegally leak a story against the express wishes of the ‘victims’ in order to damage a political rival in the independence movement then the Daily Record, the paper of ‘The Vow’, is your go-to unionist rag of choice. Obviously the first choice for someone who claims to be pro independence…

On 8/6/2022 at 6:41 AM, phart said:

I see Israel and Palestine kicking off again. Nightmare.

Alex Jones in the first trial to lose about $50 million.

I ran out of podcasts earlier this week and listened to some of his and infowars testimony. It was so devoid of any coherence it was hilarious.

Some of it was also chillingly fucked up.

Someone arguing that it was compassion and his(Jones) big heart to give the families some hope that he said the shooting victims were still alive. Cause even the slightest glimmer of hope it was fake was and they were alive is better than them being dead. Proper psychopathic gas-lighting

He's absolutely off his rocker that one. Things going from bad to worse for him.

He epitomises everything that is wrong with the internet.

13 hours ago, aaid said:

In 2014, the Herald was a No supporting paper but not vehemently so as per the Mail or Express, it had a bit of a more nuanced view and certainly featured columnists and commentators on the Yes side, McWhirter was one of them.  He also wrote for the Sunday Herald which was the only unashamed pro-Yes paper.  So he wrote pro-Indy stuff.

Then Newsquest started the National, which is a pro-Indy title, then they closed down the Sunday Herald and essentially made the Herald a counterpoint to the National and it has been getting more and more Uber-No over the period, McWhirter writes solely for them.

Kathleen Nutt who was the chief reporter - or something similar - at the National has moved over to the Herald and she’s getting stick now for some of her articles that are either Indy, or more commonly, SNP or SG critical.

Who knows what these people actually think, they’re journalists who are writing what they get paid to write.   At least Kevin McKenna is consistent in his views, he’s a miserable bastard that supports Indy but not the SNP a view of what it should look like - or at least what he thinks the SNP want.   The only difference is that all the SNP Bad stuff goes in the Herald and the non-aligned stuff goes in the National and it’s all miserable stuff😂

I remember seeing an interview with David Clegg when he was the Political Editor at the Record and he made the point that he “couldn’t do his job at a paper like the Record if he was a Tory”, which I took to mean be broadly a Labour perspective.  That didn’t stop him going to the Courier though, so clearly you can write for a Tory paper if you’re Labour. 

In some cases it's quite clear what they think. Can you imagine Alan Cochrane or Alex Massie writing a column for the National? They support the union (in Massie's case he's a critical friend) and you know where you stand with them.

Depsite disagreeing with their stance on the constitution I've more respect for that pair than the likes of Macwhirter, a man who made a bonnie penny off the back of being pro-independence only to turn tail when it was expedient to do so.

It has been very noticeable just how in thrall the SNP under Sturgeon are with the US Democrat Party / Clintons. 

Both the SNP and the US Democrats are pushing the exact same woke agenda / garbage obviously but also very tellingly is how both have blatantly weaponized their judicial system to take out their political rivals. 

It is not just a two tier system for those people they deem to be supporting the opposition but they are going after ex Presidents and ex First Ministers. In both situations they were / are attempting stop them re-entering politics...

IMHO It is the same forces behind each and they are a major threat to democracy and justice.

Sturgeon is so up the Democrats / Clintons arsehole it is shocking. Completely following their playbook. I honestly think they are running her. The Clintons are so corrupt it is unreal and this is her role model / hero.  It is no coincidence looking at what the SNP have done and the democrats are doing. It is the exact same playbook. This is essentially the US deep state and they don't want us to be independent. Scotland is too strategic for them to risk us becoming in anyway non-compliant with their goals. This is why they went after Salmond, he had to be removed before they could enact their plans. Britain is a vassal state of the US and Scotland is a vassal state of a vassal state. What we want is totally irrelevant to them.

Edited by thplinth

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Headline news on BBC… AVERAGE fuel bills estimated to be £4.2k…. Average….

its all over…. Country will riot

It is just a massive transfer of wealth out of the EU to the US. This is why the euro and the pound have fallen so much versus the dollar. The markets know it even if the general population is ignorant to it.

It is also about taking out the competition in the EU, especially Germany. The energy costs will make us significantly uncompetitive across the board. People think these sanctions are designed to hurt Russia, but no, they are designed to hurt Europe. With friends like the US we really don't need enemies. And the shocking thing for me is that so many European leaders are completely complicit with it. Just a handful are standing up for Europe's best interests. But certainly not the people running the UK, they are tripping over themselves to sell us down the river.

It is all so contrived and unnecessary and it could be reversed at the stroke of a pen. 

On 8/7/2022 at 3:24 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Was there not a case about 10 years ago where a (I think) Russian ship strayed into Scottish waters just off the east coast and it took the royal navy about a day and a half to confront it because the nearest suitable vessel was based in the south of England?

On 8/7/2022 at 4:21 PM, vanderark14 said:

First time I've seen anyone say Russia was fine under Gorbachev.......maybe the other countries under their communist rule would argue differently 

A Scottish defence force should be large enough to defend Scotland by air, sea and land. Anything over and above that isn't necessary, IMO.

we are so fuvked.  As we have zero gas storage capability we are relying on imports.  Guess what?  The Norwegians don’t really fancy exporting gas to us when it’s so scarce.  Uncontrollable energy prices and blackouts this winter.

@TDYER63, I would wait until the spring before running around your village.  Wouldn’t want you catching frostbite!