The Great Outdoors... - Page 19 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Great Outdoors...

I'll stick some more up when I get a chance.  All taken with my iPhone which, while it's a decent camera, don't really do it justice.  Had enough trouble dragging the kit I had and my fat arse up the mountain though so a decent camera would have (literally) tipped me over the edge! 😄

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, ger intae them said:

hope you gave a decent tip to the sherpa with the mahoosive yella bag on his shoulders!

He wasn't with our group.  They all wear colour coded tops based on the company running the tour, ours were in red (and probably way up ahead at that point!).  Those porters (not Sherpas as they made a point of telling us) were mightily impressive people.  We're all there with the best mountain boots, walking poles and a piddley 5KG pack, blowing out our arses after 10 minutes and these boys breeze past us after dismantling and packing a full camp site with at least 20KG on packs bigger than them and wearing sandals or slip on loafers!  And they've then got camp set up and dinner ready by the time we get there.  And not one of them looked like they weighed more than 7 stone!  

• 1 month later...

Had a wee tour on New Year’s Day - weather and scenery was immense! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🙌🏼 (the laddie takes credit for the stag photo - again!).

IMG_3774.jpeg

IMG_6457.jpeg

Edited by McTeeko

Ha, ha @McTeeko , looks like a great day!   When I scouted round there on Google street view for a motorhome parking spot, I thought the hotel had a cardboard cutout stag - it looked that close to the camera car.

We drove up that evening and there were loads of deer huddled round the hotel under the warm lamps and waiting for kitchen scraps.

They are pretty tame round at the Inveroran Hotel by Loch Tulla too, as it's on the West Highland Way.

17 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Ha, ha @McTeeko , looks like a great day!   When I scouted round there on Google street view for a motorhome parking spot, I thought the hotel had a cardboard cutout stag - it looked that close to the camera car.

We drove up that evening and there were loads of deer huddled round the hotel under the warm lamps and waiting for kitchen scraps.

They are pretty tame round at the Inveroran Hotel by Loch Tulla too, as it's on the West Highland Way.

Aye they’re well known for being pretty tame at Kinghouse hotel too. They certainly make a cracking foreground in any photos. 

On 1/3/2024 at 1:34 PM, Grim Jim said:

We camped behind the Kingshouse a few years ago and they were coming up and eating tattie scones out our hand and letting us pat them, beautiful animals.

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

We camped behind the Kingshouse a few years ago and they were coming up and eating tattie scones out our hand and letting us pat them, beautiful animals.

I accidentally sent a video of me feeding a deer with a carrot into work last week. New lassie on the social media promo stuff asked for some scenic videos and photos while I was on that wee family trip to Glencoe. Sent in loads of videos for her to use on the company website and she used the one of me feeding the deer - absolute meltdown with folk complaining about ‘feeding wild animals’ and how they were going to report the company to NTS and the Glencoe Nature Reserve. Swiftly deleted 🙈

*I know you’re no meant to feed them (signs everywhere), but they ARE very tame. 

13 hours ago, McTeeko said:

I accidentally sent a video of me feeding a deer with a carrot into work last week. New lassie on the social media promo stuff asked for some scenic videos and photos while I was on that wee family trip to Glencoe. Sent in loads of videos for her to use on the company website and she used the one of me feeding the deer - absolute meltdown with folk complaining about ‘feeding wild animals’ and how they were going to report the company to NTS and the Glencoe Nature Reserve. Swiftly deleted 🙈

*I know you’re no meant to feed them (signs everywhere), but they ARE very tame

Aye, but the "not feeding them" bit isn't about protecting you. 🤣

PS, I've done it as well, but don't tell anybody. 

16 hours ago, McTeeko said:

*I know you’re no meant to feed them (signs everywhere), but they ARE very tame. 

Haha knew what was coming as soon as I started reading this.

Aye you're not supposed to but the hotel has fed them for years so they are very used to people there now. Oor tattie scones were gonna go to waste anyhow so fed the wee thing. It was bold enough to walk up to us where we were camped so why not haha.

Edited by Kirk
Spelling

On 1/3/2024 at 1:53 PM, McTeeko said:

Aye they’re well known for being pretty tame at Kinghouse hotel too. They certainly make a cracking foreground in any photos. 

There are probably tame from people already feeding them so it's a bit shit folk thinking you are the baddy

If they weren't tame they wouldn't come near you to feed them

5 hours ago, bonzo said:

Brilliant looking bank of cloud around Arran this morning...

20240107_114514.jpg

Where did you shoot that from?   Is it from near Ardrossan where the munitions used to be made.   (Could be mixed up, but mind dunes were involved somewhere.)

Great picture anyway.

You've also reminded me of a game we used to play here, on (or based on) an internet game.   Might have been called where in the world?   You got a random pic, and had to guess/work out where it was on a world map and see how close you got???

Edited by Grim Jim
Not a "pic" but you were plonked into a Google street view.