11? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

11?

GaryWood34

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yup and without his hat-trick against Israel we would not be in this play-off.

One good game doesn't justify his constant selection over the years, hes had about 30 caps and played well in 1 maybe 2 games. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I have slagged forrest a fair bit over the years but he basically won us this play off and it's a shame he isn't getting to play a part in it. Guy always turns up for squads as well unlike half of our players. 

It's not a shame as he would produce fuck all as usual. I would turn up every time doesn't mean I deserve to play

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

Agree with you.Forrest won us the chance to be in the play offs.If producing your club from for Scotland was the only criteria in getting selected,we would be lucky to have enough players to form a 5 aside team.Why pick on Forrest.As stated,he always makes himself available.One of two of the so called big names owe us a performance.A certain so called best left back in Europe for a start.

Robertson has been relatively poor for Liverpool in their last couple of games and was at fault for Lacazette’s goal in the Arsenal match so I’m not expecting much of an improvement on his form for Scotland. 

17 minutes ago, Kirk said:

One good game doesn't justify his constant selection over the years, hes had about 30 caps and played well in 1 maybe 2 games. 

It's not a shame as he would produce fuck all as usual. I would turn up every time doesn't mean I deserve to play

He played pretty well against Albania as well if I remember correctly. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We will have to agree to disagree. Now I am not saying his form has been dazzling of late for us but there again....who has? There is only so much a left-back can do in a match as it is not a position that fashions matches and play. If he were a central midfield creative player that would be different.

If it was purely down to form (and we didn’t know he could do better) he’d be dropped for Tierney. The 3-6-1 doesn’t help, to be fair. 

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

If it was purely down to form (and we didn’t know he could do better) he’d be dropped for Tierney. The 3-6-1 doesn’t help, to be fair. 

I agree he's been poor of late but so has the rest of the team and messing around with formations definitely does not help.

For me Robertson has got his legend status more for his attacking prowess than his defensive showings. For Scotland though it is his defensive capabilities that come under the microscope far more due to how poor we have been playing lately and also means you do not get to see his attacking side. On top of that he has Mo Salah making penetrating runs for him into the penalty box and two or three others. When we attack you'll be hard pushed if we get one player in the box. You have more chance picking out one of three players in the box than just one.

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yup and without his hat-trick against Israel we would not be in this play-off.

If he had turned up in any of the previous games we wouldn’t have needed that hat-trick to get to the play-off.

1 minute ago, RDFH64 said:

If he had turned up in any of the previous games we wouldn’t have needed that hat-trick to get to the play-off.

And likewise with ten other players. Collectively, the whole team have performed poorly. Okay you get the scapegoats which just now are Forrest, Fraser, Robertson, Palmer and McGregor but to say it was one player's fault for getting us into a position we needed that 3-2 win is just daft.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And likewise with ten other players. Collectively, the whole team have performed poorly. Okay you get the scapegoats which just now are Forrest, Fraser, Robertson, Palmer and McGregor but to say it was one player's fault for getting us into a position we needed that 3-2 win is just daft.

Didn’t say it was one players fault but he has been terrible for the vast majority of his caps, maybe playing against stronger opponents than he does week in week out for Celtic shows how good he really is.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree he's been poor of late but so has the rest of the team and messing around with formations definitely does not help.

For me Robertson has got his legend status more for his attacking prowess than his defensive showings. For Scotland though it is his defensive capabilities that come under the microscope far more due to how poor we have been playing lately and also means you do not get to see his attacking side. On top of that he has Mo Salah making penetrating runs for him into the penalty box and two or three others. When we attack you'll be hard pushed if we get one player in the box. You have more chance picking out one of three players in the box than just one.

Yes, but this wasn’t the case at Hull. 

Our shape was much, much better and our players were far more effective in Strachan’s 4-2-3-1 than what we saw under McLeish part two and whatever the fuck formation we were trying to play under Clarke against Israel in the recent draw. Apparently it was a 3-4-3, but looked to me like a 3-6-1 on the ball and a 5-4-1 off it.

1 hour ago, RabtheBruce said:

Our shape was much, much better and our players were far more effective in Strachan’s 4-2-3-1 than what we saw under McLeish part two and whatever the fuck formation we were trying to play under Clarke against Israel in the recent draw. Apparently it was a 3-4-3, but looked to me like a 3-6-1 on the ball and a 5-4-1 off it.

Strachan has a good system but kept faith with players who couldn’t run. A bit of zest and he was onto a winner. 

An all epl outfield team

Marshall

bardsley.        Cooper tierney.     Robertson

armstrong.  Mctominay. Gilmour mcginn. Fraser

Mcburnie

dykes doesn’t deserve to be dropped so should play.  Can’t understand why Bardsley   isn’t picked.  If bardsley isnt selected tierney at rb

19 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

An all epl outfield team

Marshall

bardsley.        Cooper tierney.     Robertson

armstrong.  Mctominay. Gilmour mcginn. Fraser

Mcburnie

dykes doesn’t deserve to be dropped so should play.  Can’t understand why Bardsley   isn’t picked.  If bardsley isnt selected tierney at rb

Darryl Broadfoot was on Sportsound yesterday and they touched on the Bardsley situation. He said Strachan just didn’t fancy him as a player so didn’t pick him. Broadfoot later spoke to Bardsley once Strachan was gone but he felt too much water had passed under the bridge and he just wanted to concentrate on club football. Broadfoot confirmed that Bardsley hadn’t retired from internationals as such, but he felt it was just to late for him now. 

5 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Darryl Broadfoot was on Sportsound yesterday and they touched on the Bardsley situation. He said Strachan just didn’t fancy him as a player so didn’t pick him. Broadfoot later spoke to Bardsley once Strachan was gone but he felt too much water had passed under the bridge and he just wanted to concentrate on club football. Broadfoot confirmed that Bardsley hadn’t retired from internationals as such, but he felt it was just to late for him now. 

Well that’s a massive feck up by strachan and subsequent managers if true.  Clearly a class above anyone else we have for that position and we are now left with a horrible choice of playing players out of position or a sub international class player.

i hope Steve Clarke has at least explored the opportunity to bring him back with the player.  Think we have to look at tierney as right back but tierney has made it clear he doesn’t enjoy right back.

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Well that’s a massive feck up by strachan and subsequent managers if true.  Clearly a class above anyone else we have for that position and we are now left with a horrible choice of playing players out of position or a sub international class player.

i hope Steve Clarke has at least explored the opportunity to bring him back with the player.  Think we have to look at tierney as right back but tierney has made it clear he doesn’t enjoy right back.

The right side of the pitch is worrying if Palmer is injured. We have to play KT because I only other option is O'Donnell. 

11 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Hmmn 'too much water has passed under the bridge' could be translated quite easily into: 'I don't want to play anymore.' I mean come on Strachan left the post a few years ago and not once in the papers or online have I seen Bardsley touting himself for a recall when McLeish took over - a new man new ideas and all that.

58 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Hmmn 'too much water has passed under the bridge' could be translated quite easily into: 'I don't want to play anymore.' I mean come on Strachan left the post a few years ago and not once in the papers or online have I seen Bardsley touting himself for a recall when McLeish took over - a new man new ideas and all that.

we will never know...  it’s not really up to bardsley. If I was manager it would have been the first call I made.   I think it would be much fairer on the fans if it was made clear whether he has made himself unavailable for selection.

10 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

we will never know...  it’s not really up to bardsley. If I was manager it would have been the first call I made.   I think it would be much fairer on the fans if it was made clear whether he has made himself unavailable for selection.

Well I have seen plenty of our players prostitute themselves in the press for a Scotland call-up so it is certainly not unheard of. If you want something badly enough you'd do that. Bardsley hasn't.

27 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well I have seen plenty of our players prostitute themselves in the press for a Scotland call-up so it is certainly not unheard of. If you want something badly enough you'd do that. Bardsley hasn't.

He's already done that....  he got a cap in the first place.  If I was him I would be the same - if you are constantly overlooked its up to the manager to make the first move.

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

He's already done that....  he got a cap in the first place.  If I was him I would be the same - if you are constantly overlooked its up to the manager to make the first move.

His version is Strachan had something against him and so wasn't picked - fair enough. Lets presume that version is true.

Strachan left in October 2017 and a couple of months later McLeish took over. A new manager with his own ideas etc so any footballer would think hey I am in with a shout of international football again and make it known in whatever avenues you could that you are still available. But no....nothing. For all McLeish was to know Bardsley may have retired from international football or some other mis-communication. After all it wasn't a Duncan Ferguson situation where he had something against the SFA. This was just a personal issue with Strachan.

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

His version is Strachan had something against him and so wasn't picked - fair enough. Lets presume that version is true.

Strachan left in October 2017 and a couple of months later McLeish took over. A new manager with his own ideas etc so any footballer would think hey I am in with a shout of international football again and make it known in whatever avenues you could that you are still available. But no....nothing. For all McLeish was to know Bardsley may have retired from international football or some other mis-communication. After all it wasn't a Duncan Ferguson situation where he had something against the SFA. This was just a personal issue with Strachan.

Bardsley wouldn’t need to go to the press. All he’d need to do is (via his agent) let the SFA know he was available for selection. 

McLeish or Clarke could also contact him to enquire about his availability. 

I suspect either there’s more to the Strachan situation or Bardsley just doesn’t want to play for Scotland anymore.

We are so desperate for a solid RB I would be shocked if an enquiry hadn’t been made by Clarke unless he was already under the impression Bardsley had ruled himself out under previous management.  

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Bardsley wouldn’t need to go to the press. All he’d need to do is (via his agent) let the SFA know he was available for selection. 

McLeish or Clarke could also contact him to enquire about his availability. 

I suspect either there’s more to the Strachan situation or Bardsley just doesn’t want to play for Scotland anymore.

We are so desperate for a solid RB I would be shocked if an enquiry hadn’t been made by Clarke unless he was already under the impression Bardsley had ruled himself out under previous management.  

Spot on. That is my take on it. A very throwaway term 'too much water passed under the bridge'. That says too me, for whatever reason, he is not interested. Obviously, not too old as he's still playing in the EPL.