What to do with Tierney- An epiphany - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What to do with Tierney- An epiphany

ceudmilefailte

Guest ElChris04
1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

a controversial option... put tierney on the bench? Great backup if required.

It’s not a controversial opinion, it’s a extremely daft and senseless one when he’s able to play CB/RB and better than anyone in those 2 positions mentioned. 

Tierney has surprised me with how well he's started at the Arse. No doubts about his ability, more his injury record and how he would adapt to the bigger stage but he's settled in superbly. Maybe playing behind closed doors has helped ease him in...

We have to get him and Robertson in the same team, players of their quality and e patience can surely adapt. If you played Tierney as RB or CB he's better than our other options. If he had work boots and an eye patch on he might still be better than our other options....

Plays in a back 3 at arsenal.  Don’t like h8m at right back. Just cause he is better than any of our right backs there doesn’t make him good.  If we are play8ng both him and Robertson I would go back three and play without a right back and put Armstrong or fraser there.

55 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Plays in a back 3 at arsenal.  Don’t like h8m at right back. Just cause he is better than any of our right backs there doesn’t make him good.  If we are play8ng both him and Robertson I would go back three and play without a right back and put Armstrong or fraser there.

Don't be a t8t.

On 7/30/2020 at 11:06 PM, The Black Bra said:

On the subject of defenders, Stephen O’Donnell is now without a club.

I got the impression he had options, maybe a return to England, rather than nobody wanting him. I always feel a bit protective of him. He's not great but he tried and it's not his fault he was the 'best' of a very bad set of options.

I never want to see a player injured but it'd help if Tavernier needed an extended break from Rangers. Or Frimpong discover a Scottish granny.

10 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I got the impression he had options, maybe a return to England, rather than nobody wanting him. I always feel a bit protective of him. He's not great but he tried and it's not his fault he was the 'best' of a very bad set of options.

I never want to see a player injured but it'd help if Tavernier needed an extended break from Rangers. Or Frimpong discover a Scottish granny.

He always seems fucking honoured to pull on the dark blue at least! Can't argue with that.

I was unconvinced about Tierney until recently as a LCB in a back 3 but he's played really well there in a class side. 

It's definitely something Clarke needs to think about. Realise that Robertson isn't as comfortable at LWB but it seems a good compromise to get both of them in without one of them at RB. 

The difficult thing is who to play as the other two centre backs and how to fit Ryan Fraser in...as his best position is also on the left. 

I think Cooper has to be the central CB, he's obviously played well there for Leeds and will captain them next season in the Premier League. The RCB is really tough, we don't have many right sided defenders of quality and I don't fancy McKenna there at all. Ideally Bardsley could do a job there but I assume he's unavailable. I guess Hanley could play there but he'll be injured for our next games and has poor distribution. My choice would be McTominay, good quality on the ball, can run with it, good in the air and has played there a couple of times before. But again not his natural position...but we need to compromise. 

I think Fraser could still play off the left in a forward, 3 as per Aubamayang at Arsenal. Clearly playing wing backs and a forward 3 is very attacking, so we also need to make sure the central midfielders aren't ones to take too many risks going forward. I think we'd need to play McGregor and Jack, leaving out McGinn and Armstrong.

The obvious choice for RWB is Forrest who was done well there for Celtic in the past. 

Line up for this would be:

GK - Marshall (I guess)

LWB - Robertson

LCB - Tierney

CB - Cooper

RCB - McTominay

RWB - Forrest

DM - McGregor

DM - Jack

LW - Fraser

FW - McBurnie

RW - Christie (or McGinn)

Would this be better than what we'd expect...

GK - Marshall

LB - Robertson

CB - McKenna

CB - Cooper

RB - Tierney

CM - McGregor

CM - McTominay

ACM - McGinn (or Armstrong)

LW - Fraser

RW - Forrest (or Christie)

FW - McBurnie

20 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

I was unconvinced about Tierney until recently as a LCB in a back 3 but he's played really well there in a class side. 

It's definitely something Clarke needs to think about. Realise that Robertson isn't as comfortable at LWB but it seems a good compromise to get both of them in without one of them at RB. 

The difficult thing is who to play as the other two centre backs and how to fit Ryan Fraser in...as his best position is also on the left. 

I think Cooper has to be the central CB, he's obviously played well there for Leeds and will captain them next season in the Premier League. The RCB is really tough, we don't have many right sided defenders of quality and I don't fancy McKenna there at all. Ideally Bardsley could do a job there but I assume he's unavailable. I guess Hanley could play there but he'll be injured for our next games and has poor distribution. My choice would be McTominay, good quality on the ball, can run with it, good in the air and has played there a couple of times before. But again not his natural position...but we need to compromise. 

I think Fraser could still play off the left in a forward, 3 as per Aubamayang at Arsenal. Clearly playing wing backs and a forward 3 is very attacking, so we also need to make sure the central midfielders aren't ones to take too many risks going forward. I think we'd need to play McGregor and Jack, leaving out McGinn and Armstrong.

The obvious choice for RWB is Forrest who was done well there for Celtic in the past. 

GK - Marshall (I guess)

LWB - Robertson

LCB - Tierney

CB - Cooper

RCB - McTominay

RWB - Forrest

DM - McGregor

DM - Jack

LW - Fraser

FW - McBurnie

GK - Marshall

LB - Robertson

CB - McKenna

CB - Cooper

RB - Tierney

CM - McGregor

CM - McTominay

LW - Fraser

FW - McBurnie

Happy that we have some centre backs to choose from now. Armstrong is probably our most in form player and mcginn has been our best player since clarke took over. Clarke will have to decide whether we try and fit him and mcginn into same team or drop one of them. 

27 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Happy that we have some centre backs to choose from now. Armstrong is probably our most in form player and mcginn has been our best player since clarke took over. Clarke will have to decide whether we try and fit him and mcginn into same team or drop one of them. 

Yeah, a lot of our better players play similar positions. Would be hard to leave McGinn out, he can clearly score for Scotland. Wouldn’t mind him playing just off the striker or off the right. 

So I’d go McGinn. Armstrong is good at coming off the bench and injecting a bit of energy with his positive runs. Would be my first sub if we needed a goal. 

9 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Yeah, a lot of our better players play similar positions. Would be hard to leave McGinn out, he can clearly score for Scotland. Wouldn’t mind him playing just off the striker or off the right. 

So I’d go McGinn. Armstrong is good at coming off the bench and injecting a bit of energy with his positive runs. Would be my first sub if we needed a goal. 

Looks like he will have to drop one of Christie, forrest and fraser aswell. Might just come down to who is most on form at the time. 

Sorry but Armstrong and McGinn both play as they are two if our best as well as mctominey if hes playing at man utd. Work the rest around that. Bardsley is never playing for us again so forget him. Palmer is probably going to play rb if fit so no point trying to shoehorn others there. It's all good and well saying this guy could play there etc but you know Clark wont do that

4 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Sorry but Armstrong and McGinn both play as they are two if our best as well as mctominey if hes playing at man utd. Work the rest around that. Bardsley is never playing for us again so forget him. Palmer is probably going to play rb if fit so no point trying to shoehorn others there. It's all good and well saying this guy could play there etc but you know Clark wont do that

He's got to fit Tierney in somewhere though. 

17 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Our midfield would be weak defensively if we play both.  Both try to dribble a lot and play risky passes. We need someone who can do the basics. 
Palmer would be by far the worst player in our starting 11 if he played. Playing 3 at the back or playing Tierney at right back removes him. 

2 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

GK - Marshall (I guess)

LWB - Robertson

LCB - Tierney

CB - Cooper

RCB - McTominay

RWB - Forrest

DM - McGregor

DM - Jack

LW - Fraser

FW - McBurnie

GK - Marshall

LB - Robertson

CB - McKenna

CB - Cooper

RB - Tierney

CM - McGregor

CM - McTominay

LW - Fraser

FW - McBurnie

For me, you were making sense until you said you would omit McGinn and play Jack and McGregor.

McGinn starts every day of the week as it stands, and I'd like to see Gilmour in as his partner if McT is playing at the back.

A front three of Fraser, Mcburnie and Christie appeals to me...and I'd also like to see Calum Paterson doing the right wing back position.

4 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

For me, you were making sense until you said you would omit McGinn and play Jack and McGregor.

McGinn starts every day of the week as it stands, and I'd like to see Gilmour in as his partner if McT is playing at the back.

A front three of Fraser, Mcburnie and Christie appeals to me...and I'd also like to see Calum Paterson doing the right wing back position.

Gilmour injured. 

11 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

patterson would be an option for rwb... he is athletic enough to get up and down, but not a great footballer.  Cant defend either so no good at right back. Prefer him or Armstrong to forest at wing back not for right mid.

All this talk of changing the entire team around to play Tierney at LCB of a 3 is madness.

Either play him at LCB in a 2 or RB, the 451/433 is the way Clarke wants us to play.

Most teams play with a single striker, so the other CB picks the striker and Tierney plays around that and brings the ball out when required, easy.

On 7/29/2020 at 11:32 PM, Malcolm said:

a controversial option... put tierney on the bench? Great backup if required.

Clarke doesn't seem to be the type to ring the changes unless necessary. We do have the nations league games before the play off so that maybe an opportunity to experiment a little. Those games are important too though. 

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

He's got to fit Tierney in somewhere though. 

Yea but why should two of our best midfield suffer. McGinn and Armstrong are probably the two best sothey need best play too. Armstrong could play either wing in a 3 behind the striker. Not his best position but better than wing back or not at all.

37 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Our midfield would be weak defensively if we play both.  Both try to dribble a lot and play risky passes. We need someone who can do the basics. 
Palmer would be by far the worst player in our starting 11 if he played. Playing 3 at the back or playing Tierney at right back removes him. 

I dont think it would. McGinn gets about and can tackle too. I think if Tierney plays itll be as a centre half as I cant see Clarke moving the whole team about to fit him 

30 minutes ago, runningtings said:

All this talk of changing the entire team around to play Tierney at LCB of a 3 is madness.

Either play him at LCB in a 2 or RB, the 451/433 is the way Clarke wants us to play.

Most teams play with a single striker, so the other CB picks the striker and Tierney plays around that and brings the ball out when required, easy.

I don’t see why he couldn’t play left midfield.