Tennis 2019 - Page 10 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tennis 2019

Hertsscot

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

A battling win but perhaps should have been a bit easier than it was in the end. It is needless extra miles in the legs for upcoming matches but it must be remembered that Basalashvili was No 21 seed so a damned good player. More ranking points in the bag though and he is very close to breaking into the top 100 again. In the next round Japanese qualifier Taro Daniel awaits.

If he beats Murray Celtic will be in for him 

Will be interesting to see how Murray goes tomorrow after a 5 setter yesterday. Most likely face Sinner in R3 if he advances and that would be a mighty tough ask. 

Grand slams are really great chances for him to pick up good ranking points compared to the low level ATP 250 / 500 or Masters 1000 which are ultra competitive. Not many easy matches though!! 

Radacanu on tomorrow after her good R1 win against Sloane Stephens.  

Pick of the matches looks like Kyrgios vs Medvedev which should be starting about breakfast time. Hopefully Nick brings his best and gives it a go with the crowd behind him.  Could be a cracker. 

Murray exits in straight sets 6-4 6-4 6-4 against Taro Daniel. A disappointing exit for Murray but Daniel did play very well. The match sums up where Andy is at present - almost there but lacking in the big points. Also he did not come into the net as much as he should now but no complaints at all about the result as the better player won on the day. Murray will look back on missed chances and have to wait to re-enter the top 100.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

10 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

A poor result, losing to a qualifier. Asking a bit much for him to recapture former glories but hopefully with more regular competition he can raise his game from what we saw today.

Disappointing for sure but Taro Daniel is no mug. He was a QF at last year's Australian Open. I just feel too much of Murray's game was off and when chances came along and you thought he could turn it around he let the chance go. That was disappointing - like a spark was missing. Now he has made comments about missing his family and you have to wonder whether that takes some of the full out passion and hunger for tennis away a bit.

What a phenomenal comeback from Nadal.

Two sets down to the No 1 seed after a long time out through injury and despite being ten years older than Medvedev he scrapped and battled back to win in five sets in approaching five and a half hours. Now he stands alone in having won 21 grand slam titles and I wouldn't back against him quickly making it 22 at Roland Garos.

19 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

What a phenomenal comeback from Nadal.

Two sets down to the No 1 seed after a long time out through injury and despite being ten years older than Medvedev he scrapped and battled back to win in five sets in approaching five and a half hours. Now he stands alone in having won 21 grand slam titles and I wouldn't back against him quickly making it 22 at Roland Garos.

Some might even call it unbelievable...

On 1/31/2022 at 12:29 PM, 86glebestreet said:

Anyone see medvedev mouthing the words boring when one of the woman connected with the tournament was speaking 🤣 she did go on a bit 

Yeah, he doesn’t mind being the kid playing up in front of an audience does he? 😂 

In fairness to him, they were both absolutely done in and then you’ve got this executive/sponsor type coming up, droning on saying cliche nonsense. Nadal had to get a chair as he was so worn out and Medvedev isn’t exactly enjoying it after losing. In contrast, he was perfectly respectful to Jim Courier at prizegiving and everyone else including the tournament director during his speech. 

I actually quite like Medvedev. He’s phenomenal and I think will do very well the next 10 years. He plays up to the crowd a little bit but I don’t think there’s any badness to him. I think he just likes it to motivate him. 

In contrast, you’ve got someone like Tsitsipas who acted the nice guy when he came on to the scene but actually seems to be a bit of a dick. 

I’m very much into tennis and it’s difficult to see who in the next generation I could ever like anywhere close to Nadal, Murray and latterly Federer (who I didn’t like originally as he was the darling of the Wimbledon crowd - but I’ve realised how majestic he is as I’ve grown to love the sport). I like Medvedev, Kyrgios, Thiem.  It’ll be interesting to see who becomes the next real superstar. 

• 1 month later...

Well done to Andy Murray on chalking up his 700th ATP match win becoming only the 18th player to join that exclusive club. He came from behind to beat his old foe Taro Daniel 1-6 6-2 6-4 to reach the Second Round of the Indian Wells Masters. Also he is donating his earnings to Ukraine during these troubled times. Great gesture.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great game so far between Nadal and Djokovic.

Nadal 2 sets to 1 up.  

Was 3-0 down in 4th, just brought it back to 5-5

Edited by stocky

• 2 weeks later...

A very good win yesterday for Andy Murray beating the world No 6 Stefanos Tsitsipas in the QF's of the Mercedes Cup in Stuttgart in straight sets. It was his first win against a top ten player since his comeback and pulls him up towards breaking the top 50 in the rankings. In the semi today he plays Nick Kyrgios - a run to the title here followed by a strong showing at Queen's and it is not impossible to make his way into the seedings for Wimbledon.