Scottish player transfers - Page 233 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

4 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Who all had decent careers in lower leagues in England, (Rooney still bulldozing goals for Fleetwood) whatever happened to the ball playing midfielder who went to Preston for a million and chose NI rather than us. Probably the best player in that team.

Ali McCann, he is still at Preston & a regular for them.

Blair Spittal is a good player also, pleased he seems to have finally fulfilled his early career at Dundee United potential . Always thought it was strange such a talented player was playing in our championship.

19 hours ago, DesiScotsman said:

Hibs 2016 Scottish Cup winning team spring to mind. David Gray, Darren McGregor (wasn’t for injuries, he’d have been capped a couple of times particularly with how poor our CB options were back then), Paul Hanlon, Lewis Stevenson, Fraser Fyvie, Dylan McGeouch, Liam Henderson, John McGinn, James Keatings, Jason Cummings & Martin Boyle (both the latter two were still eligible for Scotland before Australia capped them). Even though they were in the championship, that team is adored by Hibs fans for ending the 114 year wait for a Scottish Cup title. Think it’s the only team to have won the Scottish Cup that weren’t a premiership team that same season.

East Fife 1938

20 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Ali McCann, he is still at Preston & a regular for them.

Blair Spittal is a good player also, pleased he seems to have finally fulfilled his early career at Dundee United potential . Always thought it was strange such a talented player was playing in our championship.

He's definitely talented, but from his time with Thistle my take on him is he's great when things are going your way but when the going gets tough, he vanishes. Maybe that isn't true now  though and if so, full credit to him.

On 3/22/2024 at 4:25 PM, Burj_Alba said:

So this summer is the jambos last real chance of cashing in on him.

Yes, but unless we get a bid big enough we can’t refuse it (which seems unlikely) then I’d be inclined to keep him and let him run his contract down (assuming he doesn’t sign an extension). Because if we don’t get big money for him he will be impossible to replace.

(You can bet Rangers* will offer something ridiculous like £800k on the last day of the window)

• 2 weeks later...

Bologna manager is off to Juventus at the end of the season, so Lewis Ferguson is being heavily linked to Join him. 

Billy Gilmour being connected with Newcastle, do not expect Brighton to let him leave unless big money involved.

Marc leonard being connected with Championship and European sides. 

Edited by syecosse

On 4/8/2024 at 9:34 PM, syecosse said:

Connor Barron being chased by serie A sides Cagliari and Sasuallo.

Dylan Wells of Motherwell is wanted by English prem sides but expected to sign a new deal at Motherwell. 

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Bologna manager is off to Juventus at the end of the season, so Lewis Ferguson is being heavily linked to Join him. 

Billy Gilmour being connected with Newcastle, do not expect Brighton to let him leave unless big money involved.

Marc leonard being connected with Championship and European sides. 

Seems to be a much higher success rate when Scottish players move to Serie A than directly to the EPL. I do understand that a new country and language isn't for everyone.

I'm not sure Billy Gilmour to Newcastle would be the best move as they're probably going to become a mid-table club with the financial fair play rules.

• 2 weeks later...

Northampton manager has confirmed that Marc Leonard and kieron Bowie will not return next year and that they have been 2 of the best players to ever play for the club, asked fans to get down and see them for one more match, Leonard has lots of clubs chasing him apparently and Bowie is a free agent in the summer so be interesting to see what happens with them. 

13 hours ago, syecosse said:

Northampton manager has confirmed that Marc Leonard and kieron Bowie will not return next year and that they have been 2 of the best players to ever play for the club, asked fans to get down and see them for one more match, Leonard has lots of clubs chasing him apparently and Bowie is a free agent in the summer so be interesting to see what happens with them. 

Seems like the lad has benefitted from his time at Northampton and should be ready to move up a level next season. A season or 2 in the championship then move up to the epl if he's good enough should be his next move. 

29 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Seems like the lad has benefitted from his time at Northampton and should be ready to move up a level next season. A season or 2 in the championship then move up to the epl if he's good enough should be his next move. 

Bowie's always looked useful every time I've seen him play for the u21s. I'm sure they'll be clubs that are interested in him 

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Bowie's always looked useful every time I've seen him play for the u21s. I'm sure they'll be clubs that are interested in him 

I was more talking about Leonard. Sounds like the Northampton support think he's special and could easily play in the epl.

On 4/18/2024 at 9:26 PM, syecosse said:

What position do these 2 play? Any real potential possibility of them being called up for the Euro squad, considering our players are picking up injuries at the worst possible time 😢

1 hour ago, DesiScotsman said:

What position do these 2 play? Any real potential possibility of them being called up for the Euro squad, considering our players are picking up injuries at the worst possible time 😢

Leonard is a midfielder and Bowie a forward. From the sounds of things they both might be looking at moves to Championship sides for next season. If that goes well then I'd imagine they'd be in the mix but I don't think we're at the stage of picking league one players for the euros just yet.

On 4/19/2024 at 11:03 AM, Hertsscot said:

I think Bowie has a bright future if he knuckles down, has always looked decent for the U21’s 

20 hours ago, broraboy said:

I think Bowie has a bright future if he knuckles down, has always looked decent for the U21’s 

His scoring record isn't that impressive at that league 1 and he's already 21. 

Is he more a Lyndon dykes or Steven fletcher type of striker/forward?

As in a striker who contributes with link up play and assists.

Edited by mccaughey85

30 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

His scoring record isn't that impressive at that league 1 and he's already 21. 

Is he more a Lyndon dykes or Steven fletcher type of striker/forward?

As in a striker who contributes with link up play and assists.

Anytime I've watched him for the U21s he tends to play on the left or right of a forward three. Not really a striker, not really a winger, just an inside forward.

Looking at transfermarkt.com he's played the majority of his Northampton games this season on the right 

Edited by csinclair

10 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Anytime I've watched him for the U21s he tends to play on the left or right of a forward three. Not really a striker, not really a winger, just an inside forward.

Looking at transfermarkt.com he's played the majority of his Northampton games this season on the right 

Ok fair enough. Not looking to knock the lad. Sounds like he has potential. Also sounds like hes maybe more a forward/winger type rather than a striker. 

Will need to get a move to the English championship next season before we can really consider him for future squads though.

20 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Newcastle have apparently already told Jude Smith and Lucas De Bolle they are free to leave in the summer. 

Don't think De Bolle did much on loan at Hamilton & know nothing about Smith apart from him being a ex Celtic youth keeper. Hope they both go on to have decent pro careers but it's highly unlikely either become full internationals.