Post Indyref Reflection - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Post Indyref Reflection

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He comes from Carluke though i see where there were numerous UJ's on show in the lead up to the referendum.

Wish they would just be honest & admit why they really voted No instead of ludicrous comments on a guy that has

Frozen council tax

Abolished prescription charges

Abolished tuition fees

Protected spending on the NHS

Increased Doctors, Nurses & Dentists in the NHS

Increased payments for free personal and nursing care

Abolished NHS car parking charges

Expanded free nursery education

Extended free school meals

Retained free travel for pensioners

Pol Pot ?

Where?

Alan (Citizen) Smart's facebook page has been, well, entertaining shall we say. Lots of historical grievances being brought up and insults thrown around. A lot of the Left are split on the way forward it seems. Some want a Yes Alliance, others like Sheridan want to back the SNP.

Can't say I noticed a lot of this intelligence, dignity and friendliness amongst the local Yes campaign among the suddenly politically enlightened folks of Wishaw.

This nationalistic sermon I've been hearing so much of the last half a year from the Yessies out there sounds much like the manifesto's of those anachronistic revolutionary 'armies' that have been pestering South American countries the last few decades with their preaching about how they want to create a fair and just society which just happens to involve taking money for themselves off those members of society that happen to possess more than them and of which the majority of the country are entirely fed up with and wish they would leave them alone to get on with their lives.

Its easy to invent a vision of a utopian society much like the Khmer Rouge did in Cambodia and just say we'll leave the details of exactly how we're going to make this happen to after the revolution (just substitute invented projected oil revenues for invented projected rice harvests which will make everyone universally prosperous and happy of course) Personally I'd rather have Pol Pot as a leader than Alec Salmond though.

What I'd like to know is will the highly vocal ,obnoxious, self-righteous and holier-than-thou contingent of the Tartan Army comprised by the idealistic folk of Aberdeenshire that believe they are ever so much more patriotically Scottish than the rest of us perhaps be slinking away in shame now that their own kinsfolk have so emphatically rejected the prospect of an independent Scotland?

Aw did drums, team get beat?

He comes from Carluke though i see where there were numerous UJ's on show in the lead up to the referendum.

Wish they would just be honest & admit why they really voted No instead of ludicrous comments on a guy that has

Frozen council tax

Abolished prescription charges

Abolished tuition fees

Protected spending on the NHS

Increased Doctors, Nurses & Dentists in the NHS

Increased payments for free personal and nursing care

Abolished NHS car parking charges

Expanded free nursery education

Extended free school meals

Retained free travel for pensioners

Pol Pot ?

Just a few little demagogic sweeteners before he got his grubby hands on some real power so the reign of terror could truly begin.

Fortunately those of us from more civilised communities such as mine have saved you from yourselves. So how about some more gratitude and less whining on here.

Can't say I noticed a lot of this intelligence, dignity and friendliness amongst the local Yes campaign among the suddenly politically enlightened folks of Wishaw.

This nationalistic sermon I've been hearing so much of the last half a year from the Yessies out there sounds much like the manifesto's of those anachronistic revolutionary 'armies' that have been pestering South American countries the last few decades with their preaching about how they want to create a fair and just society which just happens to involve taking money for themselves off those members of society that happen to possess more than them and of which the majority of the country are entirely fed up with and wish they would leave them alone to get on with their lives.

Its easy to invent a vision of a utopian society much like the Khmer Rouge did in Cambodia and just say we'll leave the details of exactly how we're going to make this happen to after the revolution (just substitute invented projected oil revenues for invented projected rice harvests which will make everyone universally prosperous and happy of course) Personally I'd rather have Pol Pot as a leader than Alec Salmond though.

What I'd like to know is will the highly vocal ,obnoxious, self-righteous and holier-than-thou contingent of the Tartan Army comprised by the idealistic folk of Aberdeenshire that believe they are ever so much more patriotically Scottish than the rest of us perhaps be slinking away in shame now that their own kinsfolk have so emphatically rejected the prospect of an independent Scotland?

Big words from a small man.

You think I am going to take this seriously :lol:

Alan (Citizen) Smart's facebook page has been, well, entertaining shall we say. Lots of historical grievances being brought up and insults thrown around. A lot of the Left are split on the way forward it seems. Some want a Yes Alliance, others like Sheridan want to back the SNP.

Ohh those reds :lol:

Edited by Lamia

Frozen council tax-

This freeze has crippled local government ability to meet the needs of the most needy. Popular with the middle class.

Abolished prescription charges-

I have no problem paying for prescriptions and this policy has lined the pockets of the drug companies. Needs based is surely the way to go. We have massive over prescription problem in society

Abolished tuition fees-

Why should a childless working man or woman pay for someone to receive a privileged education. Why shouldn't a student make some contribution to their future, even a token sum payable in the future. The policy has encouraged the non-academic to seek a university education where alternative employment routes such as college or apprentices would be more applicable and beneficial. The contribution aspect would also reduce the number of students completing a BA course in Frank Zappa on the way to a job in McDonalds. I am more than happy for my children to make a contribution to their own career.

Protected spending on the NHS-

This a devolved matter. Any government could spend every penny it receives on the NHS and would still be spent. This is about good governance and making spending priority decisions. If the SNP can’t do it let someone else try!

Increased Doctors, Nurses & Dentists in the NHS- Under the SNP the use of locum staff has increased. The real pressure on the service is at the lower end where auxiliary staff are squeezed with longer hours, poor work conditions and increased availability of a poorly paid foreign workforce pushing rates to the bottom.

Increased payments for free personal and nursing care-

Good policy but increasingly difficult and costly to retain, a policy luxury that ties future governments

Abolished NHS car parking charges-

Try getting a parking space near a hospital

Expanded free nursery education- Limited hours that in effect makes it impossible for a mother to have any employment that works around the hours provided.

Extended free school meals- A small number of pupils with parents earning just outside the income criteria will benefit. Not sure providing free meals to parents above this criteria will be of much benefit as the majority probably prefer a mix of school lunch and pack lunch. The provision ends in the early years and the obesity issue escalates as a child ages

Retained free travel for pensioners- Buses full of middle class travellers taking wee shopping trips is a very costly thank you for your years of service!

END

Just a few little demagogic sweeteners before he got his grubby hands on some real power so the reign of terror could truly begin.

Fortunately those of us from more civilised communities such as mine have saved you from yourselves. So how about some more gratitude and less whining on here.

:lol::lol:

another follow follow troll joins TAMB and bestows upon us his great wisdom ... :wave:

Lamia great post and a lot of what you said chimed with my experience.

I look on 2014 as the baseline, we never really knew how much support Independence had now we know at least 45% support it, attention should focus on adding at least 25% more.

The Smith commission will give us some more powers and Yes camp will not settle for a few scraps, this will either lead to substantial tax controls or a disgruntled electorate. Either way Yes improve the position.

Now I view Independence as a natural unstoppable progression and if General and Scottish elections return massive support for Yes alliance this increases the pressure for full fiscal autonomy or another referendum especially if an EU referendum takes UK out.

One minute you're trolling about Aberdeen voting No, the next you're trolling about how Yes voting areas "saved" us?

If you're going to troll, at least be consistent.

To be fair i think that's a plot of a DC comic introducing the Amazonya super-hero as opposed to an actual serious commentary of South American politics in the aftermath of British and American led coups against left wing governments during the cold-war.

It's also starting the story in the middle, but if you don't know the start or the end where else can one start?

You know these "civilised" type always want to march through "enemy" territories making a vacuous racket with societies detritus clapping from the side-lines.

It's their heritage to do so, don't you know.

Edited by phart

How can they be demogogic when they actually exist? Just write within yourself instead of trying to appear intelligent by using words you're not quite competent enough to use in context yet. Otherwise you're the literary equivalent of the young girl with make-up all over her face and her maw shoes on. Sure we'll indulge you due to your status, but jesus christ you look a mess.

How can they be demogogic when they actually exist? Just write within yourself instead of trying to appear intelligent by using words you're not quite competent enough to use in context yet. Otherwise you're the literary equivalent of the young girl with make-up all over her face and her maw shoes on. Sure we'll indulge you due to your status, but jesus christ you look a mess.

Be good for his own self-worth if he learned to differentiate Alec Salmond from Alex Salmond as well.

One minute you're trolling about Aberdeen voting No, the next you're trolling about how Yes voting areas "saved" us?

If you're going to troll, at least be consistent.

Actually the faction of Aberdonian society that hijacked the TA some time ago and claims to speak for the nation but doesnt even speak for its own crappy little corner of it

To be fair i think that's a plot of a DC comic introducing the Amazonya super-hero as opposed to an actual serious commentary of South American politics in the aftermath of British and American led coups against left wing governments during the cold-war.

It's also starting the story in the middle, but if you don't know the start or the end where else can one start?

ok FARC, the Shining Path etc youd think they would only exist in comics though

a demagogue being one who preaches populist but ill conceived policies to appeal to the uneducated mob for the sake of personal aggrandisement with no true concern or awareness for the long term good of the nation

Be good for his own self-worth if he learned to differentiate Alec Salmond from Alex Salmond as well.

2 c**ts for the price of one

Actually the faction of Aberdonian society that hijacked the TA some time ago and claims to speak for the nation but doesnt even speak for its own crappy little corner of it

ok FARC, the Shining Path etc youd think they would only exist in comics though

a demagogue being one who preaches populist but ill conceived policies to appeal to the uneducated mob for the sake of personal aggrandisement with no true concern or awareness for the long term good of the nation

2 c**ts for the price of one

What's the point of debate? You genuinely would rather live under Pol Pot than Alex Salmond, that's such a masochistic impulse it strongly implies your critical thinking capacity has been usurped by your emotions. why would anyone willingly interact with such a prejudiced person?

You stated the policies were demagogic not the person, so a definition of demagogue revolving round a person is out of context and irrelevant the context was his policies being demagogic. Which is arse gravy as pointed out already.

I have no idea what you're meaning with respect to South America, neither do you, so at last we find some common ground, alas just as i bid you farewell. :wave: