Post Indyref Reflection - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Post Indyref Reflection

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abolished prescription charges-

I have no problem paying for prescriptions and this policy has lined the pockets of the drug companies. Needs based is surely the way to go. We have massive over prescription problem in society

I have a problem paying for prescriptions - I pay tax and believe that it's not too much to ask for the NHS to provide prescriptions free of charge. I'm unsure as to how it could have "lined the pockets of the drug companies", unless you're suggesting that the NHS pays more for prescriptions in Scotland than people pay in England for them. The over-prescription problem is all to do with who pays for them.

Abolished tuition fees-

Why should a childless working man or woman pay for someone to receive a privileged education. Why shouldn't a student make some contribution to their future, even a token sum payable in the future. The policy has encouraged the non-academic to seek a university education where alternative employment routes such as college or apprentices would be more applicable and beneficial. The contribution aspect would also reduce the number of students completing a BA course in Frank Zappa on the way to a job in McDonalds. I am more than happy for my children to make a contribution to their own career.

Ask your doctor, accountant, physiotherapist, dentist etc why people should pay for other people's education. Graduates already do make a contribution towards their education - they gain higher paid jobs, and therefore pay more in tax then non-graduates. Of course, this statistic is now skewed by the complete dearth of jobs available which actually pay a half-decent wage, but again that's all to do with the policy in question. You also make no mention of those who simply cannot afford to pay for higher education themselves, or don't have parents wealthy enough to pay it for them - should we saddle them with £27k worth of debt (plus maintenance loans)?

Protected spending on the NHS-

This a devolved matter. Any government could spend every penny it receives on the NHS and would still be spent. This is about good governance and making spending priority decisions. If the SNP can’t do it let someone else try!

As has been pointed out on here ad nauseum, as public spending on the NHS decreases in England through privatised public services, the amount of money available to Scotland is correspondingly decreased.

Increased Doctors, Nurses & Dentists in the NHS- Under the SNP the use of locum staff has increased. The real pressure on the service is at the lower end where auxiliary staff are squeezed with longer hours, poor work conditions and increased availability of a poorly paid foreign workforce pushing rates to the bottom.

Increased payments for free personal and nursing care-

Good policy but increasingly difficult and costly to retain, a policy luxury that ties future governments

So anything which is popular is a policy luxury, by that logic?

Abolished NHS car parking charges-

Try getting a parking space near a hospital

And charging for them magically makes more available?

Expanded free nursery education- Limited hours that in effect makes it impossible for a mother to have any employment that works around the hours provided.

Such a shit policy it's been copied by the coalition. The SNP would also have expanded it further precisely to allow mums (and dads) to work, but the cost would be to the Scottish government while the benefit went to the exchequer. As such their proposal is unaffordable under devolution.

Extended free school meals- A small number of pupils with parents earning just outside the income criteria will benefit. Not sure providing free meals to parents above this criteria will be of much benefit as the majority probably prefer a mix of school lunch and pack lunch. The provision ends in the early years and the obesity issue escalates as a child ages

Retained free travel for pensioners- Buses full of middle class travellers taking wee shopping trips is a very costly thank you for your years of service!

This policy would cost as much to means test as it would save to do so.

END

Frozen council tax-

This freeze has crippled local government ability to meet the needs of the most needy. Popular with the middle class.

Abolished prescription charges-

I have no problem paying for prescriptions and this policy has lined the pockets of the drug companies. Needs based is surely the way to go. We have massive over prescription problem in society

Abolished tuition fees-

Why should a childless working man or woman pay for someone to receive a privileged education. Why shouldn't a student make some contribution to their future, even a token sum payable in the future. The policy has encouraged the non-academic to seek a university education where alternative employment routes such as college or apprentices would be more applicable and beneficial. The contribution aspect would also reduce the number of students completing a BA course in Frank Zappa on the way to a job in McDonalds. I am more than happy for my children to make a contribution to their own career.

Protected spending on the NHS-

This a devolved matter. Any government could spend every penny it receives on the NHS and would still be spent. This is about good governance and making spending priority decisions. If the SNP can’t do it let someone else try!

Increased Doctors, Nurses & Dentists in the NHS- Under the SNP the use of locum staff has increased. The real pressure on the service is at the lower end where auxiliary staff are squeezed with longer hours, poor work conditions and increased availability of a poorly paid foreign workforce pushing rates to the bottom.

Increased payments for free personal and nursing care-

Good policy but increasingly difficult and costly to retain, a policy luxury that ties future governments

Abolished NHS car parking charges-

Try getting a parking space near a hospital

Expanded free nursery education- Limited hours that in effect makes it impossible for a mother to have any employment that works around the hours provided.

Extended free school meals- A small number of pupils with parents earning just outside the income criteria will benefit. Not sure providing free meals to parents above this criteria will be of much benefit as the majority probably prefer a mix of school lunch and pack lunch. The provision ends in the early years and the obesity issue escalates as a child ages

Retained free travel for pensioners- Buses full of middle class travellers taking wee shopping trips is a very costly thank you for your years of service!

END

Maybe much of the SNP's policy framework is aimed at narrowing the inequality gap. I appreciate it's not something that might find favour, or even be a thought, among those supporting the unprincipled Westminster plutocracy that works on behalf of corporations, is underpinned by patronage and privilege and whose policy strategy is overtly influenced by powerful lobby groups.

Go try live in America and you might see why such things matter.

Braveheart? Check

Nationalists? Check

Salmond? Check

Full house unionist talks nonsense bingo

As opposed to the undiluted wisdom of the doctrine of archaic lefty 1970's politics, imaginary corruption , bottomless pits of oil treasure (and the Shetlands not being able to secede and thus deprive us of anyway) and preaching about creating a free, fair , democratic and prosperous country when you are actually trying to dismantle one - as espoused by the the indy crowd.

As for Pol Pot at least the prick meant well, he couldnt help being crazy as a shithouse rat.

Salmond I don't think truly believes in any ethos , just gets all his pleasure from getting up the noses of anyone that doesnt share his insular, backward little outlook on the world and he would be no less of an embaressment in representing Scotland to the international community than Mr Pot was to Cambodia.

My summary:

If you voted Yes then Friday was the worst day... but every day thereafter you will feel better and better about what you did.

If you voted No then Friday was the best day.... but every day thereafter you will feel worse and worse about what you did.

Having been involved in 'yes' campaigning, I'd question the approach & remain frustrated by it. Why were we going to properties with 'yes' stickers/signs to 'get out the vote'. If you've got 'yes' stuff in your house you're not about to forget to vote. Total waste of time. We should've been deployed at the 'unknowns' & out discussing the issues & dispelling the myths. I believe could've organised a more efficient local operation geared towards soft NOs & undecided. Far too much focus on Yes talking to Yes. If given the chance, and as great as 'yes' was, we need to massively improve.

As opposed to the undiluted wisdom of the doctrine of archaic lefty 1970's politics, imaginary corruption , bottomless pits of oil treasure (and the Shetlands not being able to secede and thus deprive us of anyway) and preaching about creating a free, fair , democratic and prosperous country when you are actually trying to dismantle one - as espoused by the the indy crowd.

As for Pol Pot at least the person meant well, he couldnt help being crazy as a shithouse rat.

Salmond I don't think truly believes in any ethos , just gets all his pleasure from getting up the noses of anyone that doesnt share his insular, backward little outlook on the world and he would be no less of an embaressment in representing Scotland to the international community than Mr Pot was to Cambodia.

I considered deconstructing the above but...

Na away and spout shite somewhere else.

The above says a lot about your politics if you think the UK is that

Would we even have been allowed self-determination if it wasn't? There's plenty of minorities and regions in Europe alone that would love just to have the chance to vote for their national identity.

A shame respect for democracy doesn't work the other way in terms of respecting the outcome of the democratic process without whingeing, wailing, throwing tantrums and crying 'but its not fair I can't have my way' like so many spoilt wee bairns.

Would we even have been allowed self-determination if it wasn't? There's plenty of minorities and regions in Europe alone that would love just to have the chance to vote for their national identity.

A shame respect for democracy doesn't work the other way in terms of respecting the outcome of the democratic process without whingeing, wailing, throwing tantrums and crying 'but its not fair I can't have my way' like so many spoilt wee bairns.

A part of Democratic process is dissent, Democracy isn't just winning a referendum or elections. If it was then after every election the losing party would disband.

What gets me is the Unionist like yourself think that Nationalists should just shut-up, well that doesn't cut it. You want us to be quiet and not point out the flaws in the Westminister system, well I'm afraid Democracy doesn't work that way

Edited by BigBearScot

Seriously ?

Oh right Russia Today the propoganda mouthpiece of that great champion of democracy Valimir Putin.

That network is beyond hilarious and right up there with Saddam Hussain's PR man Comical Ali and Mel Gibson as purveyors of BS to the world's population.

RT has been shamelessly banging the drum for the YES party (much like this forum) of course, given they would like nothing more than to see one of their main adversaries torn apart and militarily and politically debilitated as it makes the whole business of Russia bullying its neighbours and trying to make Europe subservient to their will that bit easier.

Its kind of like a barometer, much like Alex Salmond's smarmy gob , if you are ever seeking wisdom and enlightenment on political issues just listen to the prevailing opinion its spouts out relentlessly and you can be pretty sure that the exact opposite will be the truth.

I'd have no issues with a no vote if A better together presented a positive case for Scotland within the union and B the media at least tried to be impartial.

Sadly with such a close vote there's no doubt the unprecedented fear and scaremongering seen in the 2 weeks before the vote had a massive effect.

Look as a country we can respect the no vote and put independence on the back burner and at least give Westminster the opportunity to deliver the change promised. Milliband after all said social justice was best achieved with a no vote (stop laughing up the back).

But indepenence isn't going away. It's mainstream now. And will become a real issue when Westminster fail on the above promises like we know they will.

For now the SNP should focus on delivering the best for Scotland, like it or not they are the best party for this, labour proved during the referndeum they are not the same party anymore.

Russia would be impressed with BBC/press campaign against in independence - not seen anything like it. Democracy? A dozen editors and the BBC lie for almost two years and get away with it. But 45% still voted yes and only one in 11 requires to change for yes to win. Then there are the postal votes?

By any logic, the political independence of our wee country should barely have been noticed, we are 5 million, 8% of the population. 92% of the population stayed.

To attempt to portray this as the end of the free world, the end of the banking system, financial Armageddon was so ridiculous as to be risible. It also indicates the extent to which Westminster needs Scotland.

There was no better together campaign, there was the press and Tory money. We start from a much better place.