Question Time Tonight - Page 15 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

I listened to 5live the other day and they wheeled out that UKIP MEP clown.

As if he were representive of the Scottish voters.

I mean seriously, who the flock voted for this fool. He seriously hates Scotland. Was brilliant seeing Humza ripping the pish out of him on Twitter.

J

I mean seriously, who the flock voted for this fool. He seriously hates Scotland. Was brilliant seeing Humza ripping the pish out of him on Twitter.

J

Of course he knows nothing of Scotland having lived in Kensington last 20 y according to his election papers. https://edinburgheye.wordpress.com/2014/05/20/where-does-david-coburn-live/

He claims to have moved to Edinburgh before April last year, but doesn't seem to have informed the electoral office.

J

He is also homophobic, despite being gay himself

Nuttall's a nasty piece of work. Though I'm tempted to vote UKIP as by the sounds of they'll break up the UK and they woun't be burdened by the Swaety Socks any more, the Lib Dem guy is utterly horrible. McVeigh's just poisonous, Abbott's the only one who remotely got it . Better together with that shower? Must be joking.

If the UKIP guy spouted the same line to the Irish republic, say when the Bank of England loaned the money during the GFC, would there have been an outrage.

What about when Dennis Healy went to the IMF in the 70s.

I notice as well that these folks never point how much the EU is bankrolled by Germany.

Watch the offending segment here:-

Some great comments on the Youtube page...

Have been away and missed all this

Can someone tell me then, how it is, that the SNP are now being attacked for threatening to do something that all their own UK Westminster parties do?

And does no one ever ask themselves why their own (English etc) MPs don't vote for the Scottish health etc policies that they seem to be so envious of?

And another great UKIP paradox - the party that slags off Scotland while seeking votes in Scotland?

Diana Abbott - someone who actually went to Scotland and listened....

Fair do`s to David Dimbleby for pointing out that none of the panel had a vote, Classic.

But it seems he is simply incapable of calling them to account for the majority of their inaccuracies and illogicalities of their positions

For example, the point about voting on the NHS, should have been an opportunity to educate the public about the mechanism - instead it became banter about Dundee cake

The whole item here was something about whether SNP should have a voice or not - surely the logic of the Union (and democracy) is that they should have a voice

The UKIP guy was just slagging off Scotland but if that is the problem what is his actual solution? His solution to the problem of the EU is to leave the EU. What is his solution to the problem of the Scots?

Just catching up here. So it turns out the SNP has only said they'd votes on English NHS health issues?

Imagine the shock and horror if they imposed free prescriptions they seem so jealous of south of the border...

The BBC responded to my complaint about that segment of the program:

I understand you feel some statements made by panelists [sic] on the programme were inaccurate.

Question Time aims to generate lively weekly debate on topical issues and to represent a broad range of views within each programme. It also aims to enable viewers to make up their own minds by giving the opportunity for a variety of viewpoints to be heard.

This week's episode featured UKIP MEP Paul Nuttall and Liberal Democrat MP Tim Farron, who, like all guests, were there to show the public their personal political views on the subjects at hand.

Their comments on SNP policies and Scotland in general are their views alone; as a debate programme, Question Time does not claim that panelists' [sic] views are completely correct.

I appreciate you found the panel's responses to the question on Scotland to be inaccurate, and I'd like to assure you that I've registered your comments. We value your feedback, all complaints are sent to senior management and programme makers every morning and I included your points in this overnight report.

These reports are among the most widely read sources of feedback in the BBC and ensures that your complaint has been seen by the producers of Question Time quickly. This helps inform their decisions about current and future programmes.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Where to begin?

• The correct British spelling of "panelist" is panellist - http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/panellist
  • How can people make up their own minds on a subject if they are only hearing one side of the story - from nearly all of the panellists. I specially brought up Nuttall and Farron in my complaint - so that's why they're mentioned in the response.
  • I brought up the taxation figures for Scotland - 2012/13 was a one off year where Scotland contributed less than it received (with the previous four years [and probably more] having Scotland as net contributors to the UK). Nuttall seemed to think that Scotland were using English tax money to fund free services - when all the services he brought up have been free of charge for a number of years.
  • No-one made an attempt to correct any inaccurate comment made by a panellist.
  • As I only had 1,500 characters in my complaint, I was unable to ask why a question was chosen on the SNP without the SNP being able to respond on the show.
Edited by Clyde1998

Where to begin?

• As I only had 1,500 characters in my complaint, I was unable to ask why a question was chosen on the SNP without the SNP being able to respond on the show.

I think this is the key point.

The BBC will always be able to say that the guests could be nutters or say things that are inaccurate or unfair. All political parties could claim that an opponent made an unchallenged claim. To be fair to Dimbleby, he might not be able to pick up on every challengeable claim or control the way a particular line or argument goes..

But what they are in control of is the week-in week-make-up of the panels which routinely elevate UKIP ahead of the Greens, which routinely has had a built-in unionist majority throughout referendum year, and which routinely has Westminster unionists scots MPs appearing on English editions taking free hits (unopposed and unchallenged) on Scottish issues; and now this - selecting to broadcast a question on the SNP when no SNP member invited on to give their view!

I think this is the key point.

The BBC will always be able to say that the guests could be nutters or say things that are inaccurate or unfair. All political parties could claim that an opponent made an unchallenged claim. To be fair to Dimbleby, he might not be able to pick up on every challengeable claim or control the way a particular line or argument goes..

But what they are in control of is the week-in week-make-up of the panels which routinely elevate UKIP ahead of the Greens, which routinely has had a built-in unionist majority throughout referendum year, and which routinely has Westminster unionists scots MPs appearing on English editions taking free hits (unopposed and unchallenged) on Scottish issues; and now this - selecting to broadcast a question on the SNP when no SNP member invited on to give their view!

I am able to respond to the response - within a certain time period.

Is there anything that people wish for me to ask based on the response? I'll bring the quoted point up.

Edited by Clyde1998

I am able to respond to the response - within a certain time period.

Is there anything that people wish for me to ask based on the response? I'll bring the quoted point up.

Not exactly on topic but if you have any spare characters would you ask, over the years how many child rapists do they think they've hosted in the green room before the recordings. Not exact numbers, a rough guess would be enough.

Not exactly on topic but if you have any spare characters would you ask, over the years how many child rapists do they think they've hosted in the green room before the recordings. Not exact numbers, a rough guess would be enough.

:lol::lol:

I'll see what I can do.