The Weemin - Page 30 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Weemin

Toepoke

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Serbia, Slovakia and Israel in our Euro 25 qualifying group.

Don't half make it convoluted:

How does Women's Euro 2025 qualifying work?

The qualifiers will see each team face the other teams in their group home and away.

Group winners and runners-up from each League A group automatically qualify, with the remaining seven places taken by the best-ranked sides from all three leagues.

All third and fourth-placed teams from League A will go through to the play-offs.

The top three teams in each League B group will also make the play-offs. If Switzerland finish in the top three of their group, then the best ranked fourth-placed team from League B will go into the play-offs.

From League C, the five group winners and three best-ranked runners-up will reach the play-offs.

The 28 teams making the play-offs will be whittled down to seven, with the first round being split into two paths.

The eight sides from League A will be drawn against the eight sides from League C. The six best teams from League B will face the six lowest-ranked teams from League B. Both sets of matches are two-legged.

In the second play-off round, the remaining 14 teams will be split via seedings. The seven nations with the best ranking will be drawn against the other seven teams. The winners of those fixtures will qualify for the finals

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Don't half make it convoluted:

How does Women's Euro 2025 qualifying work?

The qualifiers will see each team face the other teams in their group home and away.

Group winners and runners-up from each League A group automatically qualify, with the remaining seven places taken by the best-ranked sides from all three leagues.

All third and fourth-placed teams from League A will go through to the play-offs.

The top three teams in each League B group will also make the play-offs. If Switzerland finish in the top three of their group, then the best ranked fourth-placed team from League B will go into the play-offs.

From League C, the five group winners and three best-ranked runners-up will reach the play-offs.

The 28 teams making the play-offs will be whittled down to seven, with the first round being split into two paths.

The eight sides from League A will be drawn against the eight sides from League C. The six best teams from League B will face the six lowest-ranked teams from League B. Both sets of matches are two-legged.

In the second play-off round, the remaining 14 teams will be split via seedings. The seven nations with the best ranking will be drawn against the other seven teams. The winners of those fixtures will qualify for the finals

Cheers! I wasted half my dinner break trying to work it out from Wikipedia.

12 of the 16 League B teams go into the playoffs. And as Switzerland aren't eligible it's possible to finish bottom of the group and reach the playoffs. Bizarre system!

Edited by Toepoke

On 3/5/2024 at 1:37 PM, Toepoke said:

Serbia, Slovakia and Israel in our Euro 25 qualifying group.

I know matches are a while ahead but I dare say they'll be calls for us not to play one of these teams unless something changes in the meantime.

• 5 weeks later...

Pedro should have gone a year ago ,why did he get a new contract ?
Results and performances are awful . So slow to get the ball forward , one pass forward then returned to the back line where they play a series of unconvincing short passes . No wonder we never look like scoring , our opponents have got 11 behind the ball by the time we work it up to half way .

11 hours ago, p gala ta said:

Pedro should have gone a year ago ,why did he get a new contract ?
Results and performances are awful . So slow to get the ball forward , one pass forward then returned to the back line where they play a series of unconvincing short passes . No wonder we never look like scoring , our opponents have got 11 behind the ball by the time we work it up to half way .

Sounds like Dundee United under Jim Goodwin

8 competitive games without a win and 4 goals in 9 games - get there was league A fixtures but it’s all a bit shit and, more worrying, directionless. 

Davidson banging them in on the wing for Glasgow City so we play her through the middle then hook her at halftime for a 35 year old - great man (sic) management that!!

Might in the end be a good point but questions need asking why the majority of the squad are 30+ from a generation where there was less resource and interest?  Surely there must be youngsters coming through and if not why!!

I'm going to head along tonight but honestly the performances under the new guy have been dreadful. Far too much passing about at the back which we just aren't suited to, get the ball out to the wings where we are strong.

Think this will be a must win for the manager tonight personally.

Seem to have been taking lessons from the men's game v NI.  Very slow paced.  Almost like the ball is heavier than normal, does it have a lead weight in it!!?

Need a rocket at half time.

That said they'll probably still win as Slovakia are offering nothing.

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Corsie in centre midfield at home!

Await to be surprised but reckon this has slog written all over it.  

I'm starting to wonder if Pedro Martinez Losa has this job because he's Andy Roxburgh's Spanish lovechild. 

22 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I'm starting to wonder if Pedro Martinez Losa has this job because he's Andy Roxburgh's Spanish lovechild. 

😂

Excruciating, not just tactically but technically too.  

Most women’s national teams have  stepped up a level the last 6 or 7 years but we have clearly regressed. 

A partial excuse is the list of missing players but performances like that have almost no positives. 

Almost 33,000 at the Aviva in Dublin tonight for Ireland v England, yet just 3000 fans were rattling around Hampden (can't be too critical as I didn't even bother to use my SSC freebie).

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Almost 33,000 at the Aviva in Dublin tonight for Ireland v England, yet just 3000 fans were rattling around Hampden (can't be too critical as I didn't even bother to use my SSC freebie).

Whilst others are on an upward trajectory the life has been sucked out of ours.  We usually have a bus from the girls team going and there's usually a scramble for a place on the bus but they couldn't even half fill it this time so had to cancel.  

Had a great chance to kick on after qualifying for a couple of tournaments but seem to have fucked it right up and for once don't really blame the SFA maybe apart from being too loyal to Pedro.  

29 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Whilst others are on an upward trajectory the life has been sucked out of ours.  We usually have a bus from the girls team going and there's usually a scramble for a place on the bus but they couldn't even half fill it this time so had to cancel.  

Had a great chance to kick on after qualifying for a couple of tournaments but seem to have fucked it right up and for once don't really blame the SFA maybe apart from being too loyal to Pedro.  

The fact it's harder not to get a playoff than qualify for them makes this group a bit bobbins. Hopefully interest will pick up once the next phase is reached.

28 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

The fact it's harder not to get a playoff than qualify for them makes this group a bit bobbins. Hopefully interest will pick up once the next phase is reached.

Yeah the whole format is frankly ludicrous and league B is a farce really.  

Would still have hoped for more than 3k but performances haven't warranted it at all.  Think the ladies need to look inwards rather than outwards regarding it stagnating.  

I'll be amazed if we qualify for this Euros given the current level of performance, the obvious reliance on the old guard and likely needing beat a League A side away.

2 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Yeah the whole format is frankly ludicrous and league B is a farce really.  

Would still have hoped for more than 3k but performances haven't warranted it at all.  Think the ladies need to look inwards rather than outwards regarding it stagnating.  

I'll be amazed if we qualify for this Euros given the current level of performance, the obvious reliance on the old guard and likely needing beat a League A side away.

I know I was pessimistic above but there’s still a high chance they’ll get to the final play offs and will likely be playing a team like Ireland, Poland, Czech Republic or Finland. These are all 50/50 ties and we’ll hopefully have Weir, Watson, Thomas and Hanson back who will make a big difference going forward. 

Edited by Super_Scotlandfan

1 hour ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

I know I was pessimistic above but there’s still a high chance they’ll get to the final play offs and will likely be playing a team like Ireland, Poland, Czech Republic or Finland. These are all 50/50 ties and we’ll hopefully have Weir, Watson, Thomas and Hanson back who will make a big difference going forward. 

Yeah I'd sort of written the whole thing off thinking the final play off was one-leg but looks like it's home and away which improves chances slightly.  Injuries have knackered us but seems widespread issue across the women's game rather than purely ourselves although it being all our best players apart from Cuthbert is a bit mental.    

It does mean the whole qualifying process is even more a farce - imagine finishing 3rd in Nations League A and still potentially going out because you have a dodgy game away to a B1-2 side!      

Potentially gonna trigger some people here but I think a good step in terms of equality of fans attitude to the women's game is how realistic and objective we are being about the state of the women's side at the moment.

In times gone by it would have been a focus on happy clapping about how they are playing in Hampden, how it's good that they get on telly for young girls to watch and aspire to do the same etc, which is still great. But the constant hyperbole and sensationalism relative to the standard of play is what I believe puts sensible people off the women's game, driven mostly by the media.

I like that we are being realistic to the team's style and standard of play, particularly under the manager, constructively and not just slandering the whole women's game for the sake of social media point scoring.

My own take on it is that since the highs of the Euros in France and narrowly missing out on the World Cup (albeit a very disappointing performance and result in that play off), the team has indeed regressed based on the bits and pieces I've seen, for all the reasons mentioned above.

2 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Potentially gonna trigger some people here but I think a good step in terms of equality of fans attitude to the women's game is how realistic and objective we are being about the state of the women's side at the moment.

In times gone by it would have been a focus on happy clapping about how they are playing in Hampden, how it's good that they get on telly for young girls to watch and aspire to do the same etc, which is still great. But the constant hyperbole and sensationalism relative to the standard of play is what I believe puts sensible people off the women's game, driven mostly by the media.

I like that we are being realistic to the team's style and standard of play, particularly under the manager, constructively and not just slandering the whole women's game for the sake of social media point scoring.

My own take on it is that since the highs of the Euros in France and narrowly missing out on the World Cup (albeit a very disappointing performance and result in that play off), the team has indeed regressed based on the bits and pieces I've seen, for all the reasons mentioned above.

I totally agree.  

I got into it probably 10-15 years ago and switched it on to take the piss really then found myself really enjoying it.  Quality wise is was crap but it was a group of women completely part time who were completely tipping their heart n soul into representing Scotland and you could see the progress.  However, now we should be at a point beyond happy clapping crap just because it is the women's team and need to be critical where it is warranted.

The tempo and style we play is crap and we look like we're getting left way behind whilst the lower ranked nations are rapidly catching up.  I genuinely don't get how we're still so reliant on 30+ year olds who really belong in a bygone era when there was nowhere near the level of investment in time and facilities in this.    

Hopefully there is some talent coming through the u19s, and grass roots seems to have taken off, but surely there must be more early- mid 20s knocking on the door.  

In general terms, unpopular opinion, but I genuinely preferred watching the last women's world cup over the blokes.  It's the same sport played completely differently and I enjoyed it being a bit rougher round the edges and having the surprise of seeing teams like Columbia looking mint whereas the surprise element in the blokes has gone really.  

Edited by ThistleWhistle