Milliband - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Press down here virtually ignoring the content of Milliband's speech and concentrating on him forgetting parts of it. Labour supporters must be aware that there is no chance of this clown being elected as Prime Minister but no time to change it.

His time is up - but when?

In my opinion the worst leader of a political party that I can ever recall.

Press down here virtually ignoring the content of Milliband's speech and concentrating on him forgetting parts of it. Labour supporters must be aware that there is no chance of this clown being elected as Prime Minister but no time to change it.

Iain Gray?

Johann Lamont wins that accolade conclusively.

Miliband is woeful. Not a chance Labour will win next year's election in my book. And even if by some miracle they did, he won't last long. Just as Scottish Labour are collapsing, Labour are in serious bother at UK level as well - they're just a year or so behind realising it like Scotland has done with the Labour party here. Shadow cabinet is weak and the depth of talent doesn't inspire.

As sooner as another 15% of Scotland realises the Labour Party they all think exists has gone, we'll be ready for another referendum. Without a solid Labour party, Scotland will be done with this Union.

Milliband just doesn't have the gravitas or statesmanship you'd expect from a potential PM.

He looks like a lost wee schoolboy. Labour would have been better off appointing someone like Jack Straw as leader, despite his involvement in the Iraq war.

Milliband just doesn't have the gravitas or statesmanship you'd expect from a potential PM.

He looks like a lost wee schoolboy. Labour would have been better off appointing someone like Jack Straw as leader, despite his involvement in the Iraq war.

The same Jack Straw who wants to enshrine the Union in law, ensuring that it would require a UK wide referendum to annul it?

Senile old git apparently never thought about the effect of that on the Good Friday agreement.....

The same Jack Straw who wants to enshrine the Union in law, ensuring that it would require a UK wide referendum to annul it?

Senile old git apparently never thought about the effect of that on the Good Friday agreement.....

Good point! I was trying to think of anyone in the shadow cabinet who looks prime minister material!

He's a political careerist/soundbite generator who's never had what might be described as a real job, much like Eton Dave and Clegg.

By contrast I was listening to a serialisation of Alan Johnson's latest instalment of his memoirs on the Radio 4 Player today. This is a guy who worked as a postman for years before getting involved in the trade union side of it and eventually becoming an MP, before ultimately becoming Home Secretary. In the 1970s in his days as a postman, he used to deliver mail by hand to the Home Secretary's offical residence, Dorney Wood.

Whatever you think of his time in office it's hard to imagine there being many more in his mould rising through the Westminster ranks.

From the news clips that I spotted, the only person sounding anything like Labour was Len McCluskey from Unite Union. The unions are so far out of step with Labour that I can't honestly see why they're still backing them other than a complete lack of alternative.

Oh.... and after it cut from the McCluskey speech in the hall it went to Mr Cridland of the CBI outside the hall in Manchester. He was conveniently talking about the need for NHS reform and part privatisation. It's a funny old labour conference!

The comparison to Foot is grossly offensive to Michael Foot, who was a politician and thinker of real substance, who happened to be in his dotterage and overly fond of dodgy duffel coats by the time he was leader of the Labour party.

This.

The only way in which Michael Foot and the inept Ed bear comparison is their un-electability. Foot at least had the gumption to stand by his principles, even if they were out of keeping with the general mood of the time.

The main problem for Ed among many is he would like to move the party further to the left and get the red flag flying but that would render his chances of government as nil. Once new labour had been found out their is nowhere for this generation of career troughts in the trough labour politicians to go. I intend to play my small part in seeing the Scottish labour party ground into the dust in 2015.

The main problem for Ed among many is he would like to move the party further to the left and get the red flag flying but that would render his chances of government as nil. Once new labour had been found out their is nowhere for this generation of career troughts in the trough labour politicians to go. I intend to play my small part in seeing the Scottish labour party ground into the dust in 2015.

I think, deep down, beneath the teeth, the silly voice and the general gormlessness, there is a good guy in Ed Milliband. I think in his heart of hearts he would like to return Labour to being a left-wing party but he doesn't possess the guile or strength of personality to do it.

Men like Wilson, Callaghan and Foot were all political giants compared to Milliband and they found leading Labour a challenging (albeit they were active in a very different era).