This Weekends Matches 2017/18 - Page 144 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Matches 2017/18

The standard of refs seems to be getting worse. We seem to be at a stage where we get several really bad decisions each game rather than just the odd one. It is a tough job but I think the other officals need to lend the ref a hand. The one in front of the Rangers fans last night didn't flag for any fouls until the ref gave them, even though he was much closer and had a perfet view.

37 minutes ago, theweestevie said:

The standard of refs seems to be getting worse. We seem to be at a stage where we get several really bad decisions each game rather than just the odd one. It is a tough job but I think the other officals need to lend the ref a hand. The one in front of the Rangers fans last night didn't flag for any fouls until the ref gave them, even though he was much closer and had a perfet view.

There was a game a few weeks back at Pittodrie where the linesman had no clue which way a throw should go. He just stood there for a good 30-40 seconds until the ref decided then he pointed his flag the same way, they don't seem to take part in anything a lot of the time now.

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

That's just not accurate at all though. Both players play the ball. "Playing the ball" doesn't = no foul.

Morelos and McLean both play the ball, then McLean is caught by Morelos. I'd say it was on the soft side, probably a 50:50 decision. Can see why it was given but can also see how Rangers may feel aggrieved.  

Perhaps in the same way that Aberdeen fans will feel aggrieved that no Rangers player received a red card. 

I disagree. Morellos plays the ball and MacLean kicks Morellos foot. That's why he fell. There's no excuse for the ref not to see it when he's 5 yards away. It's just not a penalty. 

Having said that you're probably right on the reds. Just seen the Holt and Goss challenges and either one could have walked. 

How do you rate your chances against Celtic for the last day? At least you're now guaranteed European football next season. 

7 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I disagree. Morellos plays the ball and MacLean kicks Morellos foot. That's why he fell. There's no excuse for the ref not to see it when he's 5 yards away. It's just not a penalty. 

Having said that you're probably right on the reds. Just seen the Holt and Goss challenges and either one could have walked. 

How do you rate your chances against Celtic for the last day? At least you're now guaranteed European football next season. 

I don't think they are guaranteed European football? If Hibs win tonight, Hibs and Rangers draw on Sunday and Aberdeen get beat by Celtic then they will finish 4th. If Motherwell win the cup then they would get the European place over Aberdeen.

Edited by theweestevie

6 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I disagree. McLean definitely kicks the ball. 

6 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

We'll lose. We always lose to Celtic. 

We're not guaranteed at least 3rd. If Hibs win tonight, then Hibs and Rangers draw on Sunday, they'll both go above us on Goal Difference.

4th getting Europe also relies on Celtic winning the cup. 

16 minutes ago, Parklife said:

We're not guaranteed at least 3rd. If Hibs win tonight, then Hibs and Rangers draw on Sunday, they'll both go above us on Goal Difference.

I've had a feeling we would finish 4th for a while, until Mcinnes stops pooping his pants every time theres a relatively big game, we will continue to move further down the table. I've read his post match interview yesterday and its ridiculous to say the least

Guest BlueGaz
3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

McLean going down like he'd been felled by a sniper probably helped influence the ref's decision. 

You try having a buffalo bump into you - would make you fly through the air too.  He never dived, it was pure strength that through him into the air.

Guest BlueGaz

I agree with Parkie, I do think that MacLean touched the ball from the replays, but Morelos got the touch that knocked it out of the box, and there was no where near enough contact to make him dive so much.  Never in a million years a penalty.  Players dive nowadays though, poss more than ever, which doesn't help the refs.  I would totally agree on the linesmen/women having to step up.  They don't do enough and generally wait for the ref to make a decision and then agree - sometimes it is so obvious.  Having said that, we are not privvy to their comms.  The standard up here has been very low for a while though, almost in every game.  They have made a farce of cards/no cards all season. No consistency to their application.  

43 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

They have made a farce of cards/no cards all season. No consistency to their application.  

Yes, consistency is all we really want or need. What’s a yellow one week is fine the next, penalty one week, not the next...

Then the retrospective and appeals are worse! Digging players up for nothing incidents then rescinding blatant red cards...

I thought it was as soft a penalty as you’ll see. Morellos gets there slightly ahead of K McLean and K McLean throws himself to the ground. I can only assume S McLean (who I think is one of the better refs) thinks K McLean got there 1st and Morellos hasn’t got the ball. It maybe would’ve been a penalty had that been the case.

Edited by sbcmfc
Clarity, too many McLeans

2 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Yes, consistency is all we really want or need. What’s a yellow one week is fine the next, penalty one week, not the next...

Then the retrospective and appeals are worse! Digging players up for nothing incidents then rescinding blatant red cards...

I thought it was as soft a penalty as you’ll see. Morellos gets there slightly ahead of K McLean and K McLean throws himself to the ground. I can only assume S McLean (who I think is one of the better refs) thinks K McLean got there 1st and Morellos hasn’t got the ball. It maybe would’ve been a penalty had that been the case.

Consistency in a single game would be a start, never mind week to week.

Guest BlueGaz
3 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Agree with all that.  If he is one of the better refs, it sums the standard up, because he made a lot of mistakes last night.  Just consistency in a game would be great.

Edited by BlueGaz

1 minute ago, BlueGaz said:

Agree with all that.  If he is one of the better refs, it sums the standard up, because he made a lot of mistakes last night.  Just consistency in a game would be great.

He generally as a bit more lenient than other refs and will try and let the game flow.

Anybody got a link to the 2 potential red card challenges? Not seen those.

Yes, even consistency across 90 minutes would be a start.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Stevie beat you to it. My maths was incorrect and you could still get 4th, assuming Hibs win tonight. 

It would be a pretty incredible finish for them all to end on 70 points. 

11 minutes ago, theweestevie said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44049272

Watch from 2:20, both incidents are close together

Just watched them again but the first one is hard to see because of the camera angle and the bodies in the way. 

The Goss one is just an angry wee boy tackle as his mate didn't get the free kick he thought he deserved. Could have been red but definitely deserved a yellow at least. 

The ref was pretty useless throughout the game but watching the penalty again its clear as day that McLean doesn't touch the ball. 

19 minutes ago, theweestevie said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44049272

Watch from 2:20, both incidents are close together

They’re both wild!

View isn’t great of the Holt one, but it looks the worst of the 2 from those pictures, but Goss was bad too!

Either one of them could’ve been a red, and pretty unbelievable Holt didn’t even get booked.

28 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

They’re both wild!

View isn’t great of the Holt one, but it looks the worst of the 2 from those pictures, but Goss was bad too!

Either one of them could’ve been a red, and pretty unbelievable Holt didn’t even get booked.

Holt got booked, Goss didn't.

8 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Craig Levein are you listening

To the song, that we’re singing

We’re twenty in front 

Ya specky wee cunt

Walking in a Hibby wonderland

You must be pretty tall to sing that. Is Levein not over 6 foot? 😉

Guest BlueGaz
8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Scotland's second best team currently heading for a 4th place finish...

More goals in this game.