Scottish teams in Europe - Page 61 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish teams in Europe

5 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Very original 

But also very true - OK Swedish side horses half-decent Scottish side.

Was that the year before they took Sevco out of the CL qualifiers? I remember the long forgotten Juan Manuel Ortiz scoring for Sevco in the away leg.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

But also very true - OK Swedish side horses half-decent Scottish side.

Was that the year before they took Sevco out of the CL qualifiers? I remember the long forgotten Juan Manuel Ortiz scoring for Sevco in the away leg.

Maribor are Slovenian

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

For sure they are - but Malmo are still Swedish. http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/14321323

Apologies for mixing up my Jellyfishes with my Orchids.

Apologies too for me being a pedant

14 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye, his signing policy seems a bit bizarre. There is no way you could look at that defence and say it's not needing boosted, even back in pre season.

To be fair, we tried to sign a CB but it fell through at the last stages. We had injuries to our current CBs and Ajer hasn't quite been good enough yet.

It isn't easy to just bring in better players. They cost money and teams with more cash are also trying to buy the same sort of player that we might go after. 

Look at who we did sign; two players nowhere near the Man City team and another nowhere near the PSG team. Hayes was a safe buy as we know he can play in our league. 

It would be great if we could sign someone like Michael Keane but we can't and it would not make too much difference at CL level. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

On 23/11/2017 at 12:30 AM, RenfrewBlue said:

But is that something that Brendan Rodgers thinks he needs? He had the chance to do that this summer and didn't. The one central defender they tried to sign failed a medical and was never going to be a first choice right away. 

He's definitely doing a good job but now he has to actually earn his money and improve the team for next season. 

There doesn't appear to be any improvement over last season so far. 

Well I am no Celtic expert but do know Celtic board are not keen on splashing a lot of cash. They keep their purse strings tighly shut and Rodgers has to be canny where he shops and how. He has not brought in good enough options BUT the question is: Who can he attract there? Players must look at Celtic and not see it as a massive challenge as they are all aware that the league is virtually a given and European success a million miles off.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well I am no Celtic expert but do know Celtic board are not keen on splashing a lot of cash. They keep their purse strings tighly shut and Rodgers has to be canny where he shops and how. He has not brought in good enough options BUT the question is: Who can he attract there? Players must look at Celtic and not see it as a massive challenge as they are all aware that the league is virtually a given and European success a million miles off.

He signed a boy for £4.5 million in the summer and made a £6+ million offer for Roberts. 

Theyre happy to spend money. 

10 minutes ago, Parklife said:

He signed a boy for £4.5 million in the summer and made a £6+ million offer for Roberts. 

Theyre happy to spend money. 

Yes but not the sort of money the likes of EPL and a big majority of European teams spend. And the same is the case of Celtic V SPL clubs. They spend far bigger than anyone else hence the one-sidedness of the league. Money talks.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes but not the sort of money the likes of EPL and a big majority of European teams spend. And the same is the case of Celtic V SPL clubs. They spend far bigger than anyone else hence the one-sidedness of the league. Money talks.

But it don’t sing and dance and it don’t walk. 

Celtic can’t attract EPL players, they can attract guys like Sinclair (and Rodgers) looking to rebuild their reputation, or likes of Dembele or Van Dijk looking to get a big move.

To be fair they’ve not had many of the last payday guys recently.

53 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

A “big majority of European teams”? Celtic are just as rich as about 40% of the champions league teams, I reckon, including one of the sides in their group. 

The whinging about being unable to compete with PSG is hilarious. 

58 minutes ago, Parklife said:

A “big majority of European teams”? Celtic are just as rich as about 40% of the champions league teams, I reckon, including one of the sides in their group. 

The whinging about being unable to compete with PSG is hilarious. 

Which side in their group Parkie?

15 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Anderlecht. Is their spending power greater than Celtic’s? 

Yes it is. Anderlecht put their side together at a cost of circa £74.4m. Celtic come in at around £31.6m. So as I pointed out earlier in this thread we are punching above our weight in this group (strictly in budget terms).

I know it doesn't suit your agenda Parkie but it's a fact nonetheless lol 😂

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

Anderlecht. Is their spending power greater than Celtic’s? 

Slasher got there before me - that Anderlecht have greater budget and spending power is well known, but their problem is attracting players to the Belgian league. At best it's a feeder league for Ligue 1. Just like playing for Celtic is a stepping stone to the English Premiership.

2 hours ago, slasher said:

Yes it is. Anderlecht put their side together at a cost of circa £74.4m. Celtic come in at around £31.6m. So as I pointed out earlier in this thread we are punching above our weight in this group (strictly in budget terms).

I know it doesn't suit your agenda Parkie but it's a fact nonetheless lol 😂

No agenda here. If I’m wrong then fair enough. :ok: 

Cost of putting together a side isn’t really the only barometer. What’s their turnover? Total wage budget? 

Edit:

Most recent figures I can find have Anderlecht turnover at €86 million and Celtic at £90 million. Pretty comparable. 

I don’t really care tbh, will stick with my original assesment for now though. 

Edited by Parklife

23 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Parkie, you could ask the same questions re Aberdeen and Sevco. Budget? Turnover?

After all is said and done it's the result on the park that counts. Aberdeen second above Sevco, Anderlecht bottom (barring a ridiculous result) below Celtic.

I’d wager Celtic are far, far closer to Anderlecht in terms of budget than Aberdeen are to Rangers. 

Celtic are out performing Anderlect though, fair play to them for that. I just don’t want to hear whinging about being unable due to compete due to teams having more dosh than them. 

I’ll give Celtic credit when they’re due it. Celtic fans on here think McInnes is a crap manager and Aberdeen are bottlers for being unable to beat Celtic though. 

5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I’d wager Celtic are far, far closer to Anderlecht in terms of budget than Aberdeen are to Rangers. 

Celtic are out performing Anderlect though, fair play to them for that. I just don’t want to hear whinging about being unable due to compete due to teams having more dosh than them. 

I’ll give Celtic credit when they’re due it. Celtic fans on here think McInnes is a crap manager and Aberdeen are bottlers for being unable to beat Celtic though. 

No idea what your last comment is about, Parkie. I thought we were talking about budgets v performance on the park??

24 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

No idea what your last comment is about, Parkie. I thought we were talking about budgets v performance on the park??

We are. I’m just referencing Slasher and Macy’s ridiculous comments on here. You may notice that I always say how Celtic have bottled it when they get pumped in the CL? 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

We are. I’m just referencing Slasher and Macy’s ridiculous comments on here. You may notice that I always say how Celtic have bottled it when they get pumped in the CL? 

OK got it now - was struggling with the context before your explanation.

32 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Go on then, what ridiculous comments you on about?

38 minutes ago, slasher said:

Go on then, what ridiculous comments you on about?

Apologies if I’ve unfairly grouped you with Macy.  I have recollections of you slagging Aberdeen for losing in Europe. I may be totally wrong.