Scottish teams in Europe - Page 28 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish teams in Europe

5 minutes ago, slasher said:

Not to intrude on your wee spat with Larky but..... couldn't the club security staff vet GB banners pre match? That way if something slips through the net it's the GB's fault or if something causes a charge that has been passed the club would have to defend it? It would help sort the wee bit of discourse between a section of the fans and the club imo

The club do vet them as far as I'm aware. They then release statements condemning them. I don't really think they care that much about the banners but probably see it as pointless defending them when the rules are so unclear as to what an "illicit banner" actually means.

They'll pay the small fine and hope it all goes away as usual. All this stuff about most fans being against them is complete shite and they know it. That was proven when the full stadium erupted into a chorus of "Go on home British soldiers" after it.

2 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

In my opinion the GB is a mixture of stupid wee boys and halfwits that think slipping references to the IRA into banners is a cunning plan. They don't reflect the wider Celtic support but their actions have an impact on them and why anyone with scintilla of intelligence to try to justify their antics is beyond me.

Yeah I think we all know what you think. But I wasn't talking to you and I'm not interested in all the bedwetting going on over this by UEFA and others. What I am interested in is plotting a way forward that avoids this in future otherwise big Pete would be as well setting up a direct debit straight into UEFA's Swiss bank account ?

1 minute ago, slasher said:

Yeah I think we all know what you think. But I wasn't talking to you and I'm not interested in all the bedwetting going on over this by UEFA and others. What I am interested in is plotting a way forward that avoids this in future otherwise big Pete would be as well setting up a direct debit straight into UEFA's Swiss bank account ?

Well based on your post, short of getting mass brain transplants you're f*cked.

13 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

The club do vet them as far as I'm aware. They then release statements condemning them. I don't really think they care that much about the banners but probably see it as pointless defending them when the rules are so unclear as to what an "illicit banner" actually means.

They'll pay the small fine and hope it all goes away as usual. All this stuff about most fans being against them is complete shite and they know it. That was proven when the full stadium erupted into a chorus of "Go on home British soldiers" after it.

Club rarely vet them.

19 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

In my opinion the GB is a mixture of stupid wee boys and halfwits that think slipping references to the IRA into banners is a cunning plan. They don't reflect the wider Celtic support but their actions have an impact on them and why anyone with scintilla of intelligence to try to justify their antics is beyond me.

I suspect for sport.

:lol:

Reevesy gets a bite with his views, I'm not saying he doesn't believe in them, but I suspect baiting likes of yourself is a bit of fun for him.

Again, you'd have to read a book on Irish history to get the reference, so it's not really offensive, it's just their (the GBs) attempt to be clever.

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

I suspect for sport.

Reevesy gets a bite with his views, I'm not saying he doesn't believe in them, but I suspect baiting likes of yourself is a bit of fun for him.

Again, you'd have to read a book on Irish history to get the reference, so it's not really offensive, it's just their (the GBs) attempt to be clever.

He's not baiting me.

It is a weird relationship Celtic have with the Green Brigade, on the one hand they cause them no end of problem with their stupid banners and displays etc. to the point they banned them all briefly and the club need to be seen to maintain a distance from them for obvious reasons.

On the other hand, they sneaked them back in, and then gave them a safe standing section and really do rely on them to create the atmosphere; which removing all the politics and nonsense, can be pretty impressive. They are generally the focal point of the players when celebrating with the crowd aswell.

It's a bit of a balancing act. I suspect publicly the club maintain a distance, but behind closed doors are pretty co-operative with them as the positives for them outweigh any negative image. (Which most people outside Scotland probably don't even understand or care about).

4 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

It is a weird relationship Celtic have with the Green Brigade, on the one hand they cause them no end of problem with their stupid banners and displays etc. to the point they banned them all briefly and the club need to be seen to maintain a distance from them for obvious reasons.

On the other hand, they sneaked them back in, and then gave them a safe standing section and really do rely on them to create the atmosphere; which removing all the politics and nonsense, can be pretty impressive. They are generally the focal point of the players when celebrating with the crowd aswell.

It's a bit of a balancing act. I suspect publicly the club maintain a distance, but behind closed doors are pretty co-operative with them as the positives for them outweigh any negative image. (Which most people outside Scotland probably don't even understand or care about).

Think you're probably right here but if that is true then it's an embarrassing situation for Celtic. They're essentially giving credence to a group who glorify terrorists. Not really a smart thing to do.

It'll be interesting to see what UEFA do this time as essentially The GB are sticking 2 fingers up to the rules on a consistent basis. The only route is for the punishment to be ramped up. 

If UEFA are serious about these rules then they'll need to do something or if they're happy just collecting the cash it'll be another fine. 

17 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

8 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

If UEFA are serious about these rules then they'll need to do something or if they're happy just collecting the cash it'll be another fine. 

It wouldn't surprise me if wearing bibs with an unauthorised sponsor got Celtic a harsher punishment than Linfield get for the bottle throwing.

That tells you all you need to know about UEFAs priorities.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

I suspect for sport.

They are my views, I don't look for bites but it always looks like that when one poster goes against the status quo. That being said, I'm not exactly a hardcore Republican or IRA supporter either but I will defend them when I feel it's warranted and point out hypocrisy of people labelling them as terrorists while supporting armed forces day and all that hero shite.

As for banners like this, I could take them or leave them. If it was up to me I'd have just went with the road sign and not the GB skeleton. 

5 hours ago, Mox said:

Whilst it was a good result, lets not get over excited here, they beat a team over two legs that they should have beaten.

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Usually I'd agree here but considering the recent results of scottish teams, being the away goal down, our performance in the last leg, I reckon this is an excellent result for us.

Add in that the players are still gelling and working toward full fitness, then yes, a great result for Aberdeen.

All 5 of our new signings played with Stewart and GMS bagging their first AFC goals (so pleased to see that coming together).

4 hours ago, Blackpool78 said:

Excellent manager???? Surely on the wind up there

It's pretty much a fact considering the level of player and performance he gets out of his budget.

- qualified for Europe 4 times out of 4

- played 20 and only lost 5 (including 2-0 and 2-3 to Sociedad)

- finished 2nd the last three years (and a point off second the other season)

- reached 3 domestic Cup Finals

13 hours ago, adamntg said:

How come Cyprus are suddenly half decent at football?  I know about Iceland and their indoor pitches and community coaches - what are Cyprus doing that we - a country 3 times larger, with the oldest football football tradition in the world and a couple of genuinely huge clubs - can't do?  

think they imported a whole load of german coaches 20 + years ago.

36 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

As for banners like this, I could take them or leave them. If it was up to me I'd have just went with the road sign and not the GB skeleton. 

They might have got away with it, if they hadn't had the picture of the soldier/terrorist/freedom fighter * next to it.

But where would be the fun in that...

*delete as appropriate 

41 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

They are my views, I don't look for bites but it always looks like that when one poster goes against the status quo. That being said, I'm not exactly a hardcore Republican or IRA supporter either but I will defend them when I feel it's warranted and point out hypocrisy of people labelling them as terrorists while supporting armed forces day and all that hero shite.

Aye, I've no doubt they are, you're not contrary on every subject.

Some might see your views on the British Army as a bit extreme, and they don't make a lot of sense to me as someone I presume like yourself born and brought up in the west of Scotland, but you're entitled to your opinion.

7 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Some might see your views on the British Army as a bit extreme, and they don't make a lot of sense to me as someone I presume like yourself born and brought up in the west of Scotland, but you're entitled to your opinion.

What doesn't make sense, that I don't see the British army as a bunch of heroes? Nothing extreme about that. They're one of the biggest terrorist groups on the planet yet nobody ever gives them that label. I don't let where I was born and brought up stop me calling a spade a spade.

12 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I pretty much agree with his views on the British Army and i'm not from the west of Scotland. 

One of my biggest reasons for voting Yes was to live in a country that made ethical and compassionate foreign policy decisions, rather than one that can't wait to start slaughtering brown people or who's biggest weapons export market is Saudi Arabia. 

Edited by Parklife

16 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

They might have got away with it, if they hadn't had the picture of the soldier/terrorist/freedom fighter * next to it.

But where would be the fun in that...

*delete as appropriate 

As I said earlier, an illicit banner can be a wide range of things (last year it was the flag of Palestine) so I doubt it would have mattered

19 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

As others have said having a less than flattering view of the activities of the British army doesn't make you an extremist or even a Celtic fan.

Anyway back to the football. Delighted that it seems Christie excelled last night. What about the other new boys Mackay- Steven/ Stewart? Do Aberdeen still need a centre half? The universal hd app on my iPad has Premier but kept sticking so I gave up after about 10 minutes.

Edited by slasher

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I pretty much agree with his views on the British Army and i'm not from the west of Scotland. 

I don't entirely disagree either, there's 2 sides to every story and I don't have a strong opinion either way on the matter.

I wouldn't sweepingly condemn everything and anything associated with the British military, but I'm certainly not comfortable with the manipulation and politicisation of their image and would not naively assume they never do wrong.

I'm sure you know what I meant though and are just being contrary.