East Kilbride - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

East Kilbride

19 minutes ago, Regenmann said:

Did they not draw one of these games and only won in extra-time?

Not that I'm trying to detract from their achievement - just along the A726 from me and I've been following their results.

Are you thinking in the cup ? This is 27 league wins.

1 minute ago, Hertsscot said:

Am I right in thinking that EK is the largest town in Scotland without a senior football team?  Hopefully the publicity from this run will do them some good, EK a whole lot bigger than Dingwall and the Staggies are not doing too bad.

Aye, think you are.

Here's a full breakdown of Scotland's town and cities by population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_and_cities_in_Scotland_by_population

48 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Am I right in thinking that EK is the largest town in Scotland without a senior football team?  Hopefully the publicity from this run will do them some good, EK a whole lot bigger than Dingwall and the Staggies are not doing too bad.

Ross County is the team of Ross-shire, not Dingwall - that's just where their Stadium is bases.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Well, it's the sixth biggest town or city in Scotland so it wouldn't be difficult!  I see Glenrothes the second biggest without, followed by Irvine.  

Rutherglen the largest old place without one since Clyde moved out. 

1 hour ago, Heuch Moray said:

It's for 27 consecutive league wins.  

However, as brought to light on Radio Scotland don't they now need to win one more game to better the recently reformed Hereford's same record of 27 match wins?  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35137390

Currently on 16 consecutive league wins - the last 4 of 2015/16 and the first 12 of this season. 

22 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Rutherglen the largest old place without one since Clyde moved out. 

Just looking at the history, the boundary between Glasgow and Lanarkshire used to go through Shawfield. So it was partly a Glasgow club back then. Then it was all in Glasgow, now all in South Lanarkshire...

7 minutes ago, exile said:

Just looking at the history, the boundary between Glasgow and Lanarkshire used to go through Shawfield. So it was partly a Glasgow club back then. Then it was all in Glasgow, now all in South Lanarkshire...

There's a story about Clyde not being in Glasgow so that they could play in Europe the same season as Celtic.

Something along those lines anyway, the details escape me.

10 minutes ago, deecie said:

There's a story about Clyde not being in Glasgow so that they could play in Europe the same season as Celtic.

Something along those lines anyway, the details escape me.

I think it was that they weren't allowed to enter the then Fairs Trophy as Rutherglen didn't have an international trade fair, whereas the next highest qualifying team came from somewhere (Glasgow) that did.

23 minutes ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

I think it was that they weren't allowed to enter the then Fairs Trophy as Rutherglen didn't have an international trade fair, whereas the next highest qualifying team came from somewhere (Glasgow) that did.

Something like that, well, according to Wikipedia (Shawfield: Location anomalies)

In the 1966–67 season, Clyde's third-placed finish in the Scottish League should have earned them a place in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, however a one club per city rule applied to the competition, and second placed Rangers had precedence to represent Glasgow. Clyde attempted to argue that Shawfield's location actually meant they were from the separate town of Rutherglen, however the organisers of the tournament cited Clyde's membership of the Glasgow Football Association and participation in the Glasgow Cup.

There was a debate over the largest place in the UK without a senior league team on Off The Ball. Someone said Wakefield with a population of 320,000.  But that's the district the actual town only has 76,000 population.

I'd go for Gloucester, population 122,000.

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

There was a debate over the largest place in the UK without a senior league team on Off The Ball. Someone said Wakefield with a population of 320,000.  But that's the district the actual town only has 76,000 population.

I'd go for Gloucester, population 122,000.

York?  200,000

On 06/11/2016 at 9:35 PM, deecie said:

Ross County is the team of Ross-shire, not Dingwall - that's just where their Stadium is bases.

How do you work that out?  Anyhow population of Ross-shirt can't be massive, although I guess that means they're the biggest team in the area.