Northern Ireland v Poland - Page 2 - Euro 2016 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Northern Ireland v Poland

EddardStark

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Its a tragedy the NI have qualified.

They qualified out of arguably the easiest group. 

Saying that, I think they're better then they're showing tonight.

16 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Its a tragedy the NI have qualified.

I was gonna say it's a consequence of going to a 24 team Euros, but they won their group and would have qualified for the old style finals too...

Woeful from Northern Ireland, against a team that isn't all that good. 

Their only shot on goal in 90 minutes a 25 yard overhead kick that went 15 yards wide. 

Still, they got a few throw-ins and managed a few 60 yard long-balls. Plucky minnows.

27 minutes ago, fanatyk said:

Phew, that was easy ;)

Scotland miles ahaed of NI in every department BTW. Shows you the importance of the qualifying group you are drawn into.

BOOM BOOM we got 3 points :)

Pretty much sums it up....

Now Poland have got that first win monkey off their back they look like they have the firepower to go a fair distance in the tournament.

N. Ireland looked like they were at the start of the competition, a Pot 5 team.

Edited by Toepoke

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Now Poland have got that first win monkey off their back they look like they have the firepower to go a fair distance in the tournament.

N. Ireland looked like they were at the start of the competition, a Pot 5 team.

Northern Ireland's performance was one of the worst I've seen at any major international competition, anywhere.

They looked like a desperate English non-league side. Germany and Ukraine will tear them apart.

We would have been just as poor if we had qualified

Id actually go as far as saying Northern Ireland are every bit as good as we are if not better

They are certainly better at getting results in qualifiers

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

Id actually go as far as saying Northern Ireland are every bit as good as we are if not better

Probably, although we were much better against a Poland side that has a weakness in defence.

Northern Ireland just looked terrified to even attempt to play football.

7 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

do you mean getting results from the set of teams they got in their qualifying group or just any qualifying group?

17 minutes ago, JECK said:

do you mean getting results from the set of teams they got in their qualifying group or just any qualifying group?

There is absolutely no evidence that we could go to Windsor Park for a competative game and get 3 points never mind go away to Hungary and Greece and win which they did

We would not have got out of their group - Hungary, Romania, Greece and Finland

With the exception of Germany (who were absolutely shit the whole qualifiers apart from one game at Hampden) there wasnt much between the footballing ability in both groups

Northern Ireland played like we did in Italy the other week with the exception that we had one chance. Fair play to them for qualifying but, barring a Jackie Charlton-esque recruitment campaign in the future, I suspect that's their lot for another 30 years.

And I'm a 'hun' who wasn't supporting them so that should blow your generalisations. Ambivalent against everyone, other than those who play England, Wales and Eire.

Some of the generalisations on this board are great :lol:

Couldn't care less about NI, just usually support the underdogs- though I did wish a few folk following them good luck. If anything, i'm a bit jealous that they are in France and we are not.

5 hours ago, fanatyk said:

Phew, that was easy ;)

Scotland miles ahaed of NI in every department BTW. Shows you the importance of the qualifying group you are drawn into.

BOOM BOOM we got 3 points :)

Enjoy it, tell that ##### robert that he owes me money though

10 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

There is absolutely no evidence that we could go to Windsor Park for a competative game and get 3 points never mind go away to Hungary and Greece and win which they did

With the exception of Germany (who were absolutely shit the whole qualifiers apart from one game at Hampden) there wasnt much between the footballing ability in both groups

Their group was full of defensively minded teams, none of them really like or liked to have a go. The top 3 scored 38 goals between them in qualifying, the top 3 in our group managed 39 and that is discounting the Gibraltar goals. Greece imploding really made a big difference to that group though.

Agree there isn't anything to suggest we would have got anything from Windsor Park, in fact our down fall in a group like that would be down to playing defensively minded teams and our inability to break teams like that down.

On 12/06/2016 at 9:59 PM, Ally Bongo said:

There is no evidence that they would have qualified out of our group !!  - they are now playing with the big boys and are way short of competing with them.

It will interesting to see how far the 3 teams from our group and the 3 teams from the NI group get in this competition, so far the ones from our group have 2 wins and a draw, the NI group have have 2 defeats ???

On 6/12/2016 at 9:59 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Greece who lost twice to the Faroe Islands, that Greece? 

54 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Greece who lost twice to the Faroe Islands, that Greece? 

Yep

Playing Scotland is a fillip for many a team that is out of form

Scotland would not have won in Athens

I also sincerely doubt that we would win in the Faroes either at the moment

Edited by Ally Bongo

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Yep

Playing Scotland is a fillip for many a team that is out of form

Scotland would not have won in Athens

I also sincerely doubt that we would win in the Faroes either at the moment

You're stating your opinion as a fact and ignoring the evidence that a weaker side than us did win in Athens.