Sports Direct - surely this can't be right? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sports Direct - surely this can't be right?

18 minutes ago, derekfaejapan said:

I've never been with a bank that charges me fees like that.

Well let's not jump to conclusions we still do not know what this is for. But if it is to provide quasi banking services to employees without bank accounts then that scheme will have costs to run it and I can understand why the company feels it is fair to recover those costs through banking charges. We could argue the charges look high but this is where the employees come in. No one working for Ashley was forced to take the job. They chose that job because it was the best one they could get. Presumably because it paid better than anything else they could find. And even if that is all they could find then Mike Ashley is hardly a demon for providing jobs in an otherwise employment desert. 

Also it is not Mike Ashley who is cutthroat (although he is but it is not his fault). It is you the consumer who is cutthroat immediately buying from somewhere else if the price is cheaper. How many check the employment practices of the cheaper goods before doing so, lol. If Ashley started paying fat wages some ruthless kent would undercut his store prices and you'd all buy gear from them instead of him, in a heartbeat. So it is you the ruthless consumer who has made this a ruthless supplier and economic world. Ashley just knows how the game works. i.e. The game you play when it suits you.

Edited by thplinth

Worked in the Falkirk store years ago as a student. It's a terrible company to work for. Much of the stuff I've heard doesn't surprise me at all. 

They employ impressionable teens and keep them past their shift time and generally pressure them into working on/additional shifts etc. 

Having worked in Next also I can say that it really is night and day between them. Feel sorry for anyone who works there.  

10 minutes ago, they've_been_suckered said:

Having worked in Next also I can say that it really is night and day between them. Feel sorry for anyone who works there.  

Sports Direct must be bad then! Next don't even let you eat Salt and Vinegar Squares on the shop floor! 

1 hour ago, they've_been_suckered said:

Worked in the Falkirk store years ago as a student. It's a terrible company to work for. Much of the stuff I've heard doesn't surprise me at all. 

They employ impressionable teens and keep them past their shift time and generally pressure them into working on/additional shifts etc. 

Man Sports Direct must be bad if its worse than Next after the stories my missus told me after she worked there. 

Next sounded like a nightmare place to work as well. 

31 minutes ago, Garywag said:

Man Sports Direct must be bad if its worse than Next after the stories my missus told me after she worked there. 

Next sounded like a nightmare place to work as well. 

I worked in Next for about 5 years. It was pretty shitty to begin with (turn up 15 minutes early and stay 15 mins late on each shift - even just 4 hour shifts, amongst other things.)

By the time i left (about 7 years ago) it was alright. 

3 hours ago, they've_been_suckered said:

Reminds me of a well known burger chain I worked for when I was a student.  If only RISE had been around in those days to stand up for me!  :lol:

These companies often hire very young workers as they tend to be more inclined to put up with that kind of shite.  Unionising would help, although since many only work part-time they possibly don't think it's worth their while (wrongly).

theplinth is right.  Mike Ashley is the big bad bogey man but if folks were so up in arms about him all it would take is for everyone to boycott his shops for a day or two and he might need to think a bit more about how he treats his workers.

6 hours ago, Parklife said:

Sports Direct must be bad then! Next don't even let you eat Salt and Vinegar Squares on the shop floor! 

Next don't let an employee eat smelly, greasy food on on the shop floor. Whit complete 

bastards.

12 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

theplinth is right.  Mike Ashley is the big bad bogey man but if folks were so up in arms about him all it would take is for everyone to boycott his shops for a day or two and he might need to think a bit more about how he treats his workers.

Hate to agree with Tplinth so I'll agree with you.

or maybe I quoted the wrong post. ?

10 hours ago, thplinth said:

Well let's not jump to conclusions we still do not know what this is for. But if it is to provide quasi banking services to employees without bank accounts then that scheme will have costs to run it and I can understand why the company feels it is fair to recover those costs through banking charges. We could argue the charges look high but this is where the employees come in. No one working for Ashley was forced to take the job. They chose that job because it was the best one they could get. Presumably because it paid better than anything else they could find. And even if that is all they could find then Mike Ashley is hardly a demon for providing jobs in an otherwise employment desert. 

Also it is not Mike Ashley who is cutthroat (although he is but it is not his fault). It is you the consumer who is cutthroat immediately buying from somewhere else if the price is cheaper. How many check the employment practices of the cheaper goods before doing so, lol. If Ashley started paying fat wages some ruthless kent would undercut his store prices and you'd all buy gear from them instead of him, in a heartbeat. So it is you the ruthless consumer who has made this a ruthless supplier and economic world. Ashley just knows how the game works. i.e. The game you play when it suits you.

I should never have introduced you to Thomas Sowell :P even if you are right. I'm not a consumer so I avoid all the angst,

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

What's wrong with the youth of today? If they don't like the terms and conditions being imposed on them by unscrupulous employers,why don't they stand up for their rights and tell them to get tae fuk?

Probably cos 30-40 years ago their parents threw in the towel.Fell for the lie that if we all worked in cooperation with our employers as individuals our nice cuddly employers would look after us without the need for big bad unions and nasty restrictive employment laws.

Since then successive governments have fostered the conditions where employees have no rights, no protection and worsening conditions, and then they have the nerve to whine when an employer takes advantage of the situation they created, it's laughable. 'Tell me Mr Big Bad Employer, why do you treat your employees like shit? Cos you said I could Mr MP'.

10 hours ago, andymac said:

Next don't let an employee eat smelly, greasy food on on the shop floor. Whit complete 

bastards.

It was a joke between me and the poster i quoted, he'll get it, you don't. :ok: 

15 hours ago, Parklife said:

I worked in Next for about 5 years. It was pretty shitty to begin with (turn up 15 minutes early and stay 15 mins late on each shift - even just 4 hour shifts, amongst other things.)

By the time i left (about 7 years ago) it was alright. 

A ha that's where you get your dress sense from then lol.

17 hours ago, Parklife said:

:lol: those were the days

9 hours ago, Orraloon said:

What's wrong with the youth of today? If they don't like the terms and conditions being imposed on them by unscrupulous employers,why don't they stand up for their rights and tell them to get tae fuk?

I don't think that's anything to do with the youth of today. I'm sure you've had a shite first job too. 

10 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

You've hit the nail on the head, people's morals fly it the window when you can buy Lonsdale trainers for £7.