Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 226 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

On 12/30/2018 at 12:55 AM, SMcoolJ said:

If true, that’s one of the best SPFL signings in a long time!

Is a clearly washed up, past his peak striker returning to play for a team that's ninth in the league really "one of the best SPFL signings in a long time" ? Especially when when you consider these transfers have taken place since 2010:

Moussa Dembélé (Fulham - Celtic),

Victor Wanyama (Beerschot - Celtic),

Virgil van Dijk (Groningen - Celtic),

Leigh Griffiths (Wolves - Celtic),

Andrew Robertson (Queen's Park - Dundee Utd),

John McGinn (St Mirren - HIbs),

Niall McGinn (Celtic - Aberdeen), 

Graeme Shinnie (Inverness - Aberdeen)

John Souttar (Dundee Utd - Hearts)

Stephen O'Donnell (Luton - KIlmarnock)

Jordan Jones (Middlesbrough - Kilmarnock)

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Is a clearly washed up, past his peak striker returning to play for a team that's ninth in the league really "one of the best SPFL signings in a long time" ? Especially when when you consider these transfers have taken place since 2010:

Maybe stretching it in those terms.

Still a bit of a coup if the team ninth in the SPFL sign a £13 million forward.

:lol:

Marvin Johnson (Oxford united - Middlesbrough) was a surprisingly big transfer for Motherwell.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I;m going to stick my neck on the line here and say McCormack will be as much of a dud as MacFaddan was when he returned.

Motherwell will certainly need to start playing football on the deck if they sign him for starters.

To be fair to McFadden he made a real impact when he returned for the last few months of the 2012/13 season and he was influential the following season (where we also finished 2nd).

His problem was an inability; in part down to apparent lack of effort on his part, to get fit. He duked pre season 1st season and got injured after starting late in his 2nd season.

If McCormack can come in and be as big a dud as McFadden, I’ll be delighted.

There’s certainly a decent chance his attitude etc. would stop him doing anything for Motherwell, but seems a worthwhile gamble if we can get him in as a replacement for Ryan Bowman.

2 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

It's been a long time since McCormack was a £13M striker.  I just hope they put him up in a flat and not a house with gates.

2 years. Still only 32 and on the contract he signed 2 years ago for that money. We couldn’t even pay his NI contributions.

Sure they’ll find him a wee flat near the ground. Maybe the penthouse in one of the towers...

😛

8 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

2 years. Still only 32 and on the contract he signed 2 years ago for that money. We couldn’t even pay his NI contributions.

Sure they’ll find him a wee flat near the ground. Maybe the penthouse in one of the towers...

😛

Only 32 ? You've got to admit that is getting on a bit now in years for an attacking player.

Surely Motherwell would be better off saving their money and rather than buying faded heroes of yesteryear or buying almost an entire starting XI of god awful League Two players from down south, focus instead on giving young players from their impressive youth academy a chance ? 

Still it's patriotic of McCormack if he truly prefers the Scottish winter to the boiling sun in Australia.

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Only 32 ? You've got to admit that is getting on a bit now in years for an attacking player.

Surely Motherwell would be better off saving their money and rather than buying faded heroes of yesteryear or buying almost an entire starting XI of god awful League Two players from down south, focus instead on giving young players from their impressive youth academy a chance ? 

Still it's patriotic of McCormack if he truly prefers the Scottish winter to the boiling sun in Australia.

It would be a loan until the end of the season costing us relatively little. Rather than “buying faded heroes of yesteryear”.

You need some experience to supplement the youngsters.

We had 6 academy players in our squad on Saturday, and would’ve had 2 more if they were fit (Cadden and Mbulu).

Just now, sbcmfc said:

It would be a loan until the end of the season costing us relatively little. Rather than “buying faded heroes of yesteryear”.

You need some experience to supplement the youngsters.

We had 6 academy players in our squad on Saturday, and would’ve had 2 more if they were fit (Cadden and Mbulu).

That is great stuff :ok:

If it's just a loan and Villa will be paying his wages then maybe there is no harm in that as long as he is fully match fit. 

Why does your manager seem to have a bit hard on for signing all those largely hopeless guys from League Two though ?

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

That is great stuff :ok:

If it's just a loan and Villa will be paying his wages then maybe there is no harm in that as long as he is fully match fit. 

Why does your manager seem to have a bit hard on for signing all those largely hopeless guys from League Two though ?

They’re cheap and available.

Motherwell are a decent sell, as it puts them in the shop window with TV exposure and the likes they wouldn’t get in league 2. We will hold up guys like Louis Moult, Trevor Carson and Marvin Johnson as examples of how it could work out for them.

It’s not the worst model, it’s basically a scaled down version of what Celtic do. For  every moussa Dembele there’s a Gamboa for every Louis Moult there’s a Ryan Bowman...

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

They’re cheap and available.

Motherwell are a decent sell, as it puts them in the shop window with TV exposure and the likes they wouldn’t get in league 2. We will hold up guys like Louis Moult, Trevor Carson and Marvin Johnson as examples of how it could work out for them.

It’s not the worst model, it’s basically a scaled down version of what Celtic do. For  every moussa Dembele there’s a Gamboa for every Louis Moult there’s a Ryan Bowman...

That's interesting :ok:

But for every success story bringing these guys up from League Two (and you rightly name Moult, Carson or Johnson as examples of this, Humphries the Scottish/Jamaican lad was a good player for you to IIRC) how many are brought up from League Two, fail miserably, keep youngsters out the team, all the while soaking up wage money ? 

Do some Motherwell fans not think that sometimes too many of these guys are signed ?

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Yes, they all turned out to be good signings.

I’m coming from the angle that Motherwell have shown real ambition if this rumour is true and it comes off. Add to that the salary McCormack will have been on compared to what Motherwell will offer. 

I will downgrade my comments to one of the most interesting signings in a while and a real eyebrow raiser?! 

5 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Do some Motherwell fans not think that sometimes too many of these guys are signed ?

Yes, most have been very critical of our quantity over quality approach to summer signings.

We appear to have added a load of bodies rather than adding any quality to improve the squad other than in depth.

A great example on Saturday, we had 9 players out and to be honest it didn’t weaken our starting 11. We have a bloated squad of mediocre journeyman, something we appear to be addressing in this window...

1 minute ago, SMcoolJ said:

I’m coming from the angle that Motherwell have shown real ambition if this rumour is true and it comes off. Add to that the salary McCormack will have been on compared to what Motherwell will offer. 

I will downgrade my comments to one of the most interesting signings in a while and a real eyebrow raiser?! 

If you had said perhaps "a risky but potentially worthwhile transfer for MFC" I would have agreed with you B)

If Villa end up paying his wages then I guess Motherwell have nothing to lose. 

He is match fit isn't he ?

15 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Eremenko surely pisses all over it as a signing?

In fact, Clarke pisses all over all of them!

12 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

He is match fit isn't he ?

Apparently the deal is done, if his knee is ok...

(he got leave from his Australian club to come home and recover from a knee injury. I’m hoping the injury was overstated to get him home for Christmas...)

On 12/30/2018 at 12:55 AM, SMcoolJ said:

If true, that’s one of the best SPFL signings in a long time!

(Ross Maccormack)

That was my original thought.......  however this thread has changed my mind a wee bit ,

the power of debate and rational thought on a message board... who would have thought it.

He should bang them in for 'Well.

I heard somewhere he has scored more goals in the English Championship than anyone else....( this century?)  is this true  

where are the board statos....

1 minute ago, stocky said:

(Ross Maccormack)

That was my original thought.......  however this thread has changed my mind a wee bit ,

the power of debate and rational thought on a message board... who would have thought it.

I heard somewhere he has scored more goals in the English Championship than anyone else....( this century?)  is this true  

According to this .........

https://www.transfermarkt.com/championship/ewigetorschuetzen/wettbewerb/GB2

McCormack and David Nugent are both tied at the top on 120 goals. One more goal and Nugent takes first place. Billy Sharp is not far behind either.

9 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

According to this .........

https://www.transfermarkt.com/championship/ewigetorschuetzen/wettbewerb/GB2

McCormack and David Nugent are both tied at the top on 120 goals. One more goal and Nugent takes first place. Billy Sharp is not far behind either.

so the top scorer in English football this century joins Motherwell....  

I would say quite a good signing.   not as good as Boydie mind, but still OK.....😀👍

42 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Eremenko surely pisses all over it as a signing?

In fact, Clarke pisses all over all of them!

The above and a lot of the earlier referenced examples were a bit of a gamble that worked out well. While every signing, including McCormack) contains an element of risk, him going to Motherwell maybe less so given he is a proven goal scorer and he’s done pretty well most places he’s gone. I wouldn’t have been surprised to hear his name connected to almost any team in Scotland. Hence why I think this is a very good signing and worthy of note. I’d like to think McInnes was sniffing around players like this and that isn’t meant to be disrespectful to Motherwell in any way. 

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

puttingback-together-blues-bros.jpg

It does kinda seem that way. A sort of 'come back Bears, all is forgiven, come and join Dodgy Dave's EBT 11!'

On the flip side some of the names we are being linked with are absolutely terrifying.....Bayo, Burke and Porteous to name but 3! 😵

3 hours ago, stocky said:

(Ross Maccormack)

In the film Bull Durham, Crash Davies, the character played by Kevin Costner breaks the minor league record for hits but is completely uninterested as all it means is he spent the majority of his career in the minor leagues as he couldn't hack it in the majors - a record no-one should be proud of.

Being top goalscorer in the English Championship is the same, you only hold that record by being not good enough to play at a higher level.