Gary Harkins - "They’re just a new club" - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gary Harkins - "They’re just a new club"

What a douche*.  I absolutely deteste players/managers who assume their game is won...  

If there's more to the quote and it's out of context I withdraw the douche comment.  He has shite hair though.

Edit:  The new club part is spot on of course.

Edited by Scunnered

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

Any player from an club who noises up the opposition before a game - especially a cup game where there is still a replay to be played - deserves locking up.  How often do these guys end up with egg on their faces.

You mean like any time the old firm are about to play a diddy team in a big game, somehow statements are leaked suggesting they are interested in buying the diddy team's best player(s)? 

12 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

You mean like any time the old firm are about to play a diddy team in a big game, somehow statements are leaked suggesting they are interested in buying the diddy team's best player(s)? 

Whataboutery. 

15 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

The use if the phrase Whataboutery, can often better be defined as "sh1t, that's a fair point, I have no answer to that."  ??

ETA - My smiley face and thumbs up emoji have not worked above.  I'm am trying to be lighthearted.  Harkins comments are stupid.

15 minutes ago, giblet said:

:lol:

"Who is Gary Harkins" ask Rangers fans. Given he plays in the Premiership and your team never has, that's probably why you don't know of him

88 retweets97 likes

Retweeted

More

Who he?

8 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

ETA - My smiley face and thumbs up emoji have not worked above.  I'm am trying to be lighthearted.  Harkins comments are stupid.

They did work.

2 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

The use if the phrase Whataboutery, can often better be defined as "sh1t, that's a fair point, I have no answer to that."  ??

Not at all.

Whether Gary Harkins thinks Rangers are a new club or an old club or whatever, I really couldn't care less about, it's just that players who do this reinforce the stereotype of footballers being stupid.

The tactic of a bigger club - this is not restricted to the OF - planting stories in the press about making bids for opposition players generally has one of two outcomes, it has no effect at all or it heaps a load of pressure on the player in question and they end up having a stinker.  In most cases it ends up having no impact, it hardly ever results in the player in question playing a blinder.

So as a tactic, that's worth employing because it works more often than it doesn't and there's rarely a downside.

On the other hand players or managers noising up the opposition through making derogatory comments rarely works and if it has any impact it is to get the opposition fired up.  How many times do you hear the cliche about putting manager 'X's comments up on the dressing room wall or the manager's team talk writing itself?

In this case, if Harkins had actually thought this through, I doubt he would be looking increase the pressure on both himself and his teammates.  If I were his manager I'd be having a word about it.

Seen this last night. Really got to question how its back page news. Attention seeking nonsense.

Tbh I think it's completely idiotic but only because they still have a game to play. The Dumbarton boys are the ones that should be pissed off about it.

As it is, there are plenty of Gers fans, that have gone into meltdown about it, which I find equally idiotic. 

You honestly wonder what planet some folk are on. 

The guy was telling the truth. It's pretty sad that doing so leads to accusations of "trying to get bites".

The huns might not like it but that doesn't change the fact that their club was liquidated. I didn't hear this outrage when Walter Smith, Donald Finlay and several other face combers said the same.

They'll probably never get over it, and I'm glad, cos they're not very nice people and deserve it.