Daily Heil Hits A New Low? - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Daily Heil Hits A New Low?

Calling working a few shifts as a surgeon during a holiday "Troughing" without distinction is wrong.

It's far too low resolution thinking to just assume all second jobs are equal.

Perhaps the use of the term was harsh. I think I've been clear that my issue is not "working a few shifts as a surgeon", my issue is that Dr Whitford is a member of parliament, and also holds a employment contract with the NHS... If that's not holding two jobs I don't know what is.

He picked a really bad example and then tried to run with it...

I'm not trying to run with it. I am running with it. It is my firm belief that being a member of Parliament is a full time commitment and should not hold second jobs of any sort... Yes, that includes Labours poor effort to have Union reps exempt from their bill.

I don't think I'm being unfair, or partisan in the slightest.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No sure how his ethics would be affected it it was a close member of his family on the operating theatre though.

I hold Dr Whitford in very high regard. In fact my praise of her is publicly available if you know where to look... I have a reputation to maintain though :wink2:

Perhaps the use of the term was harsh. I think I've been clear that my issue is not "working a few shifts as a surgeon", my issue is that Dr Whitford is a member of parliament, and also holds a employment contract with the NHS... If that's not holding two jobs I don't know what is.

Using the term is spin, It's not Troughing to have a contract with the NHS and work as a surgeon. It's having a second job. I also agree that second jobs aren't ideal for MP's. I'd not describe her as a trougher though, cause then how do you delineate between her and the person who takes a paid position on several boards on a tacit understanding they get influence.

I'm not trying to run with it. I am running with it. It is my firm belief that being a member of Parliament is a full time commitment and should not hold second jobs of any sort... Yes, that includes Labours poor effort to have Union reps exempt from their bill.

I don't think I'm being unfair, or partisan in the slightest.

Scunnered you are wall to wall anti SNP. You have become more extreme as time has gone on and like Alan every post has now got to be about it. You are like a dog with a bone. You can't differentiate gg v w any more.

I actually agree with you. I am amazed MPs are even allowed to have second jobs, like proper full time ones. Amazing!! It is fukking ridiculous.

I think the SNP should task Pippa Whitford with surgically removing Natalie McGarry from her Twitter account, since she has reverted to self-destruct mode again this evening.

McGarry didn't handle it very well but the point she was making that J. K. Rowling turned a blind eye to misogynist right-wing nutters when it suited her cause was actually true.

However Rowling is untouchable and her wee Labour friends pounced on it.

McGarry has the same problem as Neil Findlay, they both waste a lot of time on Twitter arguing with folk.

Should she have let folk die rather than compromise her second job principles.

That's some spin!

:lol:

(I realise they're not your words as such, but spinning the story in such a way blurs the argument over whether MPs should have 2 jobs. )

Fair points, to varying degrees, from both sides of the argument. Basically though, if you are going to make a political point, you don't do it by making an example of the MP who's at the edge of abusing the system, and does so by giving up her Xmas holidays to care for people.

I could be persuaded by those being critical of any MP with a second job, but as it happens, anyone using Whitford to make their point is a moron, thereby undermining the argument they are trying to make.

That just about sums it up.

George Foulkes and Jackie Baillie frothing at the mouth attacking Dr Whitford.

When Whitford was carrying out consultations with breast cancer sufferers over Christmas - Foulkes was opening up another bottle and Baillie was having her second dinner of the day.

I can't believe people would want an experienced breast cancer surgeon to refuse to lend a little hand now and again.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

I can't believe people would want an experienced breast cancer surgeon to refuse to lend a little hand now and again.

"Lend" a little hand suggests this was voluntary work.

She was well paid for "lending a hand".

I do agree of all the folk to make an example of, it's a poor choice. A lot of politicians have far greater conflicts of interest and drains on their time doing far less worthy work.

It is bending the truth to suggest it was an act of kindness or a favour though.

Edited by sbcmfc

I do agree of all the folk to make an example of, it's a poor choice. A lot of politicians have far greater conflicts of interest and drains on their time doing far less worthy work.

It is bending the truth to suggest it was an act of kindness or a favour though.

I seriously doubt that she did it for the money.

Been trying to avoid this thread. But ffs she probably trained for 10 yaears or thereabouts. So whats the problem. Its a waste if sge doidnt still practice.

What about all the MPs who earn money for tv appearances or writing in newspapers etc?

Some probably spend a lot more time in total than Dr Whitford spent in hospital over xmas....and none of them saved any lives whilst doing so.

Also, has Dr Whitford CONFIRMED how much she got paid or even if there was any employment contract with the NHS as Scunnered has repeatedly asserted or was that only supposition by the Mail ?

It would actually be brilliant if ALL MPs were sent to work in hospital over xmas..whether it be as surgeons or toilet cleaners.

What about all the MPs who earn money for tv appearances or writing in newspapers etc?

Some probably spend a lot more time in total than Dr Whitford spent in hospital over xmas....and none of them saved any lives whilst doing so.

Also, has Dr Whitford CONFIRMED how much she got paid or even if there was any employment contract with the NHS as Scunnered has repeatedly asserted or was that only supposition by the Mail ?

It would actually be brilliant if ALL MPs were sent to work in hospital over xmas..whether it be as surgeons or toilet cleaners.

She's included it in the Register of Interests. The Mail seem to be going through systematically looking for anything that's in the register of interests, or isn't and possibly should be - like dormant directorships - for all the SNP MPs and flinging mud around.

Are you suggesting that I'd assert something based on a Mail article? Gies peace :lol: Ayrshire & Arran health board confirmed it.

Attempting to romanticise it does nothing to change my opinion to be honest.

Unfortunately this is a major part of the problem with political views across the board, this is usually highlighted in media outlets who are biased for one particular party, or more often than not, against another. Party lines are followed regardless of context and no allowance is made for common sense.

Attempting to romanticise it does nothing to change my opinion to be honest.

Fair dos. So there's also no point anyone debating it with you. As there it is black and white.

I just reckon there is also shades of grey.

Any hoo, I do agree with not having second jobs, but IMHO there are exceptions.

Further public service should be one of them, as long as their constituents are fully aware at election time as the electorate are ultimately the arbiters.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

In that case she should decide whether she wants to be a surgeon or a politician. I imagine her constituents would agree?

Rubbish. She has to keep in practice and do CPD to remain qualified. If she didn't and lost her seat, she couldn't go back to medicine. Not like you to agree with the Daily Mail.

Been trying to avoid this thread. But ffs she probably trained for 10 yaears or thereabouts. So whats the problem. Its a waste if sge doidnt still practice.

Maybe she should have stuck at it then instead of becoming a politician?

I'm not particularly against what she did, it's definitely more worthwhile than being on the board of a company that's awarded contracts by government, or appearing on celebrity big brother.

On the daily mail side, it's a poor example to pick on.

On the other side, she's being painted as Florence nightingale as she was "saving lives".

As always the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Politicians probably shouldn't have 2nd jobs as its too open to abuse (be it conflict of interest, or pressures on time), but in the scale of 2nd jobs this one isn't particularly dubious!

Rubbish. She has to keep in practice and do CPD to remain qualified. If she didn't and lost her seat, she couldn't go back to medicine. Not like you to agree with the Daily Mail.

You've not paid attention to anything I've said. Your entire post shows this, no less the last sentence.

Isn't the point about 'troughing' that it's when MPs exploit their role of being MP - or more particularly ministerial positions - that they wouldn't otherwise be able to do, unless they were an MP. Like sitting on boards etc,, or advising in the health or financial or health sector after having been (or while being) finance or health minister - that sort of stuff?

Not someone doing a bit of their 'real life job'. We so often hear the public would like their politicians to be grounded in the real world and not cocooned in the 'Westminster bubble'.