Veggies / Vegans - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I have not followed your debate closely enough so forgive me if I get it wrong but it seems you are both right.

I can see pharts point about how we are locked into something that goes far beyond 'gestures' like vegetarianism. (Now don't get mad at me.)

At the same time I can see why folk (imperfectly) try. What else can we do.

I think you are both maybe arguing about slightly different things and so are not arguing at all! Hooray!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i'm not allowed to not understand the explanation? Either i understand it or i get to ask no questions? just accusations of ignoring it. Saying i'm not acknowledging it? I'm saying I don't understand your point, and you're obtusely refusing to explain it. Probably because it isn't a very good one, and it's much easier to just be a petulant child about it.

absolutely pointless trying to have a honest dialogue.

Get you :lol:

Any of the veggies/vegans in here do any weight training? Id be intrigued to hear how they consume adequate protein to build muscle effectively?

I'm currently consuming about 180g of Protein a day, that's a shit load of quinoa and tofu!

Any of the veggies/vegans in here do any weight training? Id be intrigued to hear how they consume adequate protein to build muscle effectively?

I'm currently consuming about 180g of Protein a day, that's a shit load of quinoa and tofu!

Hemp seed.

That's quite a lot of protein, Parkie. Unless you're built like Arnie, I would suspect that a lot of that is passing straight through you undigested. You could always try to recycle it to use as a supplement for vegetarians, I suppose?

I hope you're not wasting money on those fancy protein powder things? A decent diet easily gives you all the protein that you need.

That's quite a lot of protein, Parkie. Unless you're built like Arnie, I would suspect that a lot of that is passing straight through you undigested. You could always try to recycle it to use as a supplement for vegetarians, I suppose?

I hope you're not wasting money on those fancy protein powder things? A decent diet easily gives you all the protein that you need.

I'm pretty happy with my consumption. A gram per pound of target body weight. Seems to be the general recommendation for building muscle.

Haven't read the topic so this may have already been covered. A lot of the meat replacement foods are dubious from an environmental point of view. For example, Quorn contains palm oil. The majority of palm oil is grown on what used to be rainforest in countries like Indonesia and Malaysia. As a result you have a product that is sold as being suitable for vegetarians that contains an ingredient that is responsible for destroying the habitats of some of the most critically endangered species on the planet.

As far as the mobile phone conversation goes a lot of the minerals are mined in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The civil war there is considered to be the most deadly conflict since WWII. It is financed by money that is made from the mines that produce the metal that ends up in phones, cameras and pretty much every other consumer electronic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_in_the_Mobile

Edited by Stokesy

From what I have read but now sadly forgotten Soy is not this healthy food you may think it is. I am talking about how it impacts you not the environment here. Most of what you think is good for you is Big Food propaganda. Look how they moved you all onto eating factory shit in the space of one to two generations (comparing to my grand parents who would not touch this shite). I am not excluding myself I totally bought into it as well.

Haven't read the topic so this may have already been covered. A lot of the meat replacement foods are dubious from an environmental point of view. For example, Quorn contains palm oil. The majority of palm oil is grown on what used to be rainforest in countries like Indonesia and Malaysia. As a result you have a product that is sold as being suitable for vegetarians that contains an ingredient that is responsible for destroying the habitats of some of the most critically endangered species on the planet.

"At Quorn, our aim is to keep Palm Oil use to a minimum. Currently three of our products do contain palm oil - it is our aim to use only 100% segregated, sustainable palm oil by the end of 2015. We are members of the Round Table on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) and therefore committed to working closely with our suppliers to use only sustainable sources" says Quorn.

They are all such crafty kuntos. For a while I bought M&S "Homous made with extra virgin olive oil" or whatever it was. Then you read the label (and I never knew this until recently but apparently they must list the ingredients in order of volume) and what was near top of the list it was like Rape seed oil or some cheap nasty chemical pretendy oil food shit.

"At Quorn, our aim is to keep Palm Oil use to a minimum. Currently three of our products do contain palm oil - it is our aim to use only 100% segregated, sustainable palm oil by the end of 2015. We are members of the Round Table on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) and therefore committed to working closely with our suppliers to use only sustainable sources" says Quorn.

It's been a couple of years since I checked their palm oil policy. In hindsight I should have had another look before posting. It looks like they have cleaned up their act somewhat. However they shouldn't be using it at all if they can't guarantee its sustainability. Additionally, last time I checked sustainable palm oil seemed to be a bit of a myth. Again this is going back a few years so hopefully the situation has changed.

A lot of the other companies that sell the same kind of products seem to be pretty dodgy. A lot of the time they don't explicitly state whether or not the product contains it. The packaging just says 'vegetable oil'. It's up to the consumer to guess which type the product contains.

They are all such crafty kuntos. For a while I bought M&S "Homous made with extra virgin olive oil" or whatever it was. Then you read the label (and I never knew this until recently but apparently they must list the ingredients in order of volume) and what was near top of the list it was like Rape seed oil or some cheap nasty chemical pretendy oil food shit.

Rape seed oil is actually very similar to olive oil and can be grown in the UK so is typically cheaper than olive oil. It can also be used to make biodiesel. However, that means less land for other traditional foods to be grown.

• 2 weeks later...

Exposed: Child labour behind smart phone and electric car batteries

19 January 2016, 13:57 UTC

Major electronics brands, including Apple, Samsung and Sony, are failing to do basic checks to ensure that cobalt mined by child labourers has not been used in their products, said Amnesty International and Afrewatch in a report published today.

The glamourous shop displays and marketing of state of the art technologies are a stark contrast to the children carrying bags of rocks, and miners in narrow manmade tunnels risking permanent lung damage.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/01/child-labour-behind-smart-phone-and-electric-car-batteries/

Exposed: Child labour behind smart phone and electric car batteries

19 January 2016, 13:57 UTC

Major electronics brands, including Apple, Samsung and Sony, are failing to do basic checks to ensure that cobalt mined by child labourers has not been used in their products, said Amnesty International and Afrewatch in a report published today.

The glamourous shop displays and marketing of state of the art technologies are a stark contrast to the children carrying bags of rocks, and miners in narrow manmade tunnels risking permanent lung damage.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/01/child-labour-behind-smart-phone-and-electric-car-batteries/

Those conditions sound brutal. Although we eventually kill and eat a lot of animals, it sounds, to me, that in this country we treat our animals better then these children are treated.

Having said that, I'm not totally against child labour. It can have some benefits. But this sounds almost like concentration camp stuff. Send them down the mines until they aren't fit to work anymore, or die.

Time for a bacon roll made from, a relatively well cared for, Porky the pig. Yum.

Those conditions sound brutal. Although we eventually kill and eat a lot of animals, it sounds, to me, that in this country we treat our animals better then these children are treated.

Having said that, I'm not totally against child labour. It can have some benefits. But this sounds almost like concentration camp stuff. Send them down the mines until they aren't fit to work anymore, or die.

Time for a bacon roll made from, a relatively well cared for, Porky the pig. Yum.

Sent from my iPhone

:P

There are many options that offer what you would need and more, Google 'vegan protein' & 'vegan body builders' to see that anyone can 'build muscle effectively' on a vegan diet

Also, search for 'Patrick Baboumian' for some particularly impressive body building and examples of extreme strength on a vegan diet.

• 1 month later...
On 6 Jan 2016 at 0:59 PM, phart said:

David Haye only went vegetarian after his career, both the diaz brothers are vegan though and have been for ages (MMA fighters) probably two of the toughest and fittest mixed martial artists in UFC history. Plus competent triathletes.

An impressive victory for vegan Diaz at the weekend there, over the supposedly invincible Conor McGregor

(Haye is still fighting and announced on going vegan that he would return to the ring stronger and fitter than ever due to his vegan diet. At the same time stating that he believed his prior injuries and poor recovery periods wouldn't have been such issues had he been vegan) 

2 hours ago, McExpat said:

An impressive victory for vegan Diaz at the weekend there, over the supposedly invincible Conor McGregor

(Haye is still fighting and announced on going vegan that he would return to the ring stronger and fitter than ever due to his vegan diet. At the same time stating that he believed his prior injuries and poor recovery periods wouldn't have been such issues had he been vegan) 

Yeah Nate is now 19 wins and 10 losses.

I made £50 betting on a Diaz sub, no one is invincible in MMA, Especially newly promoted brown belts in ju-jitsu.

Nah David Haye hadn't fought since July 2012 when i made the post, he returned after the post to take on Maek De Mori.

Hope it works out for him.

4 hours ago, McExpat said:

Just came across an interesting site covering pro fighters and healthy eating, mainly vegan focused.

http://www.fuelforthefighter.com/what-to-eat/

http://www.fuelforthefighter.com/the-fighter/

Quite a few of the fighters who eat meat, actually hunt their own (the american fighters) meat, which bypasses some of the objections about the quality of the meat in a normal diet.

The good thing about fighting in this context is you can't really fake it, as you'll get found out in fights.