Veggies / Vegans - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Seriously considering at least becoming a vegitarian this year at least.

Anyone made the change recently? Any good resources online you'd recommend for meal planning? Been eating healthier for awhile now and it's easy with chicken and fish so want to continue that but without meat.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a vegetarian for 25 years now. It used to be quite tricky back in the day but the world is completely veggie friendly. It can encourage you to cook and take interest in your food more, but equally, it's very easy to be a junk food vegetarian.

I eat a lot of pasta, Mexican, curries and so on. The meat substitutes are much better these days if you're into that. Quorn mince and most of the supermarket own brand substitutes are good and you can cook just about anything with them.

I've tried being vegan a few times (managed six months last year) but it really is a huge commitment. It's ok in the house but everything needs planning ahead if you're heading out. I found people try to help but I do feel like a bit of an eejit explaining to waiters etc about my funny diet.

Environmental reasons were my main driver as well. There are simply too many people on the planet to sustain us all on a western meat based diet. The waste of resources in rearing beef for example is staggering. Add in that the demand for meat requires more and more inhumane factory methods then include me out.

Environmental reasons? That's an American problem with the way they raise cattle, over here it's a lot more grazing and not he same impact at all.

Listen, the planet is going to go through the "easter island affect" on a global scale. Easter Island afffect might be a term i just coined but look at what happened to them, that's us.

The trouble with some vegetarians is that they feel the need to constantly remind you that they're vegetarian and also impose their views on you. A mates ex-burd was one of the worst I knew, she even tried to make me feel bad for wearing a leather jacket! :lol:

All vegetarians? I think that's about 5000 posts and that's the first time I've mentioned it, and in response to a direct question on the subject.

A very lazy and cliched observation. Funnily, I do see an awful lot of meat eaters on here very abusive towards vegetarians and vegetarianism. My advice would be if you don't like vegetarianism, don't do it.

You never have to ask if someone is vegan.

Personally, I'm not too comfortable taking about it. It's my decision.

Although, some can be windbags I suppose. Maybe you don't know about the ones who don't bang on about it because they don't bang on about it?

Edited by adamntg

Vegetarians are hypocrites! If they love animals so much, why do they eat all the animals food! :(

That's a very good point. Being a fairly selfish fuker, I'm going to continue eating everybody else's (herbivore, omnivore and carnivore) food, until it runs out.

I am convinced that in about 100 years time humans will be using insects and worms as our main source of protein.

All vegetarians? I think that's about 5000 posts and that's the first time I've mentioned it, and in response to a direct question on the subject.

A very lazy and cliched observation. Funnily, I do see an awful lot of meat eaters on here very abusive towards vegetarians and vegetarianism. My advice would be if you don't like vegetarianism, don't do it.

If you look again then you'll see that I said 'some vegetarians'.

That's a very good point. Being a fairly selfish fuker, I'm going to continue eating everybody else's (herbivore, omnivore and carnivore) food, until it runs out.

I am convinced that in about 100 years time humans will be using insects and worms as our main source of protein.

It's a terrible point.

Perhaps in a hundred years we will be using beans and pulses as our main source of protein.

The trouble with some vegetarians is that they feel the need to constantly remind you that they're vegetarian and also impose their views on you. A mates ex-burd was one of the worst I knew, she even tried to make me feel bad for wearing a leather jacket! :lol:

There was a vegan guy on Radio Scotland this morning and I'm pretty sure he was one of them. I don't think he was winning many converts over to his cause, with his "I know better than you" attitude. It was quite funny listening to him.

I asked . . .

You asked if someone had made the change recently if i recall. I'm only on the wind up though. Same function when i talk about computer games , then have to explain that 40% of wow players are female and not all male etc.

It's a terrible point.

Perhaps in a hundred years we will be using beans and pulses as our main source of protein.

Insects and worms are much more efficient. Fish farming is also a very efficient use of resources.

Beans and pulses are very good for you. As well as being a good source of protein they are also a good source of cholesterol. But the disadvantage is that you need quite a lot of good quality land to grow them on.

As phart said, traditional farm animals can be grown on relatively poor quality land which isn't much use for anything else (except trees maybe). The problem comes when they start using good quality arable land solely for animal farming. It's all about land management. We are fairly good at that in the UK but still far from perfect. There is still room for improvement so that we could feed a lot more people.