2015 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Personally, professionally, family and football.

After a horrific 2013, a steady 2014, I had high hopes for 2015. How did all of yours pan out?

Personally

Finally got to call my favourite person in the world my wife. The day itself was amazing and stress free and exactly the day we wanted, just family and very close friends. After saving through 2014 and not going on any holidays, three weeks in Singapore/Bali and a week in Portugal all in the second half of the year have given us such much appreciated time together. On the negative, I have put on about 10kilos since the wedding which I need to get removed in the coming months. All in all it has been a fantastic year for me personally.

Professionally

I have had three secondments this year, each one a level above my old job. I have taken huge strides in my career after a three year lull and will hopefully get a position out of this secondment when it ends in April. I applied for a position at the end of my last secondment and got down to the last two, however it's really difficult to make that step up as so many people have more experience than me, however, hopefully 2016 will be that year. I am only going to give this as a good year, certainly better than the last few but not as good as it could have been.

Family

A new nephew at the beginning of the year. Don't know a more deserving couple, been trying for years with medical support so to see the happiness it brings them is fantastic. Another nephew in 6 weeks time, to a different sibling who thought that she could not have any more children after a rather horrible miscarriage two years ago. Could not be happier for both of them. Also had a rare all siblings and children gathering for a weekend at centre parks to celebrate my Dads 60th. It worked so well we are doing the same for my Mums 60th this year. As we are all spread around the UK it is really nice to get together, something we recognise we do not do enough. We also communicate much better as a collective through Whatsapp. As stupid as it sounds, it's a great medium for sending pictures of the children at various events, things, etc. It was started for organising the weekend and developed into a very useful tool. A great year.

Football

Rubbish. The grounding of 2015 has to be football. In order of disappointment. Scotland not qualifying and being rubbish all year. Fulham continuing to lurch from disaster to disaster. Almost relegated again last season and finishing the year 7 points from safety and a transfer ban for January. Another year of mediocrity from Celtic. Horrible in Europe, treading water in Scotland, far too many passengers in a team is light on quality. Crap year.

All in all it has been a great year for me. I know that 2016 will not match the highs of 2015, however plenty to look forward to, a week in Athens next week, boys trip to Glasgow for the 6 Nations in Feb, family get together in March, trip to Bosnia (first in three years) in May and taking my Dad and my Mother-in-law. Fulham have a new manager. What can go wrong???

So how was it for you?

Happy 2016 and I leave you with my highlight........

image.jpg

My 2015 was magic! ✊?

Started the year with a New Year's Day hike up Table Mountain in South Africa in my kilt, meeting my family at the top who had just visited Robben Island. Then went on safari where we spotted the big 5 with the highlight being my pic of a leopard in a tree that won Traveller Photo of the Week on Lonely Planet's FB page.

Got married in April to my Polish fiancée of 5 years in a sneaky wee runner to Gretna with just immediate family, had a big reception in May in South Queensferry where we asked all guests for no presents and to donate to the Sick Kids Friends Foundation instead. Had our honeymoon on Skye (first time we'd been - stunning!). Then travelled through Poland in July and had a reception there too.

I took my daughter to Skelleftea in northern Sweden in August to stay with friends for a week. Quad biking, fishing, hiking, BBQs eating elk kebabs, massive waterfalls, outdoor jacuzzis and saunas - easily best trip of the year!

October I took my son to his first ever match, Scotland v Poland at Hampden. Being half Polish it was a perfect match to take him to and we ended up on STV News getting interviewed. He was wearing his Poland top and kilt. At the final whistle he was in tears. Never felt so proud. In a game where it was a 'no-lose' result for him his tears confirmed to me something else. Biggest moment of the year for me ??

Turned 40 at the beginning of December and my wife took me to Copenhagen. Great weekend away then we came home to a surprise 40th that my daughter had arranged all by herself.

As for work, I'm happy where I am. Working 12 hour shifts means I get loads of time off and that time off with my family is more important to me that earning more money.

Fitba - worst calendar year ever. Dundee United fan (enough said) and despite the cracking away trips with Scotland in Georgia and Faro it was yet another failed campaign.

All the best for 2016! ??

Congratulations pal.

Personally it was a mixed year. Had 2 of the best stag do's ever. Got married, done the kiltwalk, but lost ma gran and the bairns have really tried ma patience.

Football wise, raith got a new manager this year, who i tore in to after a friendly defeat at east fife. Since then, he has continued to prove me wrong which ia good for us. Scotland gave us all the usual kick in the haw maws. And i actually came close to giving up on it all, but im signing back up. The chelsea circus has bern funny as well.

I had a great year. One of the best.

Personally.

Moved in with my girlfriend. Asked her to marry me and she said yes. I had a great trip to Portugal with some good friends. Climbed Ben Nevis. Swam with sharks. Plenty of gigs, events and activities. I've had lots of fun.

Professionally.

Earned a promotion at work with the promise of another this year if things go well. Things are going well so far as the business is smashing every target and record from previous years. I took a big salary drop a few years ago to move to a career that I wanted and it began to pay off last year.

Friends and Family.

No deaths in the family so that is always good. Both my brothers got engaged to their girlfriends. My friends 'wedding' was a special day. My youngest child started Primary school. All the kids are growing up happy and are making me proud. My girlfriend ran the London Marathon (massive achievement for her). My dad retired and had a cracking party. My friends business got going and his products (with him face on them) are on the shelves in shops such as Selfridges (check out the business - http://www.papershooters.com/).

Football.

Celtic won the league. Poor in the cups and Europe and not great to watch.

Preston won promotion. Doing okay in the Championship.

My 7's team won the cup and promotion to the top league and we're holding our own against some cracking sides.

My 11's team are currently in a good position for promotion.

Scotland. The big disappointment. I still can't believe we didn't qualify. Not qualifying and realising I'm losing interest are the biggest low-points in my year.

I hope 2016 is half as good as 2015 was to me.

2015 was appalling in all levels.

My fiancee's Dad died suddenly in October (prior to us getting married in April 2016), the consequences of which are that we have had to temporarily move in with her Mother because she has MS and needs looking after. We are also ploughing through his estate, trying to sort that out as well as arranging permanent accommodation for us, including me having to rent my flat out in the meantime. In June, my fiancée was driving my Mum back from visiting my Gran in hospital when an erratic driver crashed into them when crossing the road to enter a junction without looking and almost killed them both.

Work-wise, I was badly affected by the above such that I ended up being shafted and 'pushed' out of my employment. On the other hand, I got another job pretty quickly and got a decent few quid out of them for their unprofessionalism but still had to go through legal action to do so. With the ongoing insurance claim for the accident which I have been dealing with because it's too upsetting for my fiancée and Mum, I could've done without all that.

Football-wise... not brilliant either!

Anyway, we deserve a good 2016 in my opinion and I'm greatly looking forward to our wedding and subsequent honeymoon in Thailand so bring it on!

Sorry to hear that Wolfie... You could get 2016 off to a flyer by joining baby Cove and I on the 13th to inspect his new Mrs. :wink2:

2015 was decent. My girls are happy which is the most important thing. Only lost my job 3 times this year, and each time to be hired back by the same company. 3 days after Christmas I was called into the office and when I was expecting the worst I was handed a department and a card saying "Welcome to the middle classes" :lol:. The peoples flag is the palest pink and all that...

Sorry to hear that Wolfie... You could get 2016 off to a flyer by joining baby Cove and I on the 13th to inspect his new Mrs. :wink2:

2015 was decent. My girls are happy which is the most important thing. Only lost my job 3 times this year, and each time to be hired back by the same company. 3 days after Christmas I was called into the office and when I was expecting the worst I was handed a department and a card saying "Welcome to the middle classes" :lol:. The peoples flag is the palest pink and all that...

Didn't realise anyone we being inspected! May have to cancel.

Best year of my life without question, after the birth of my wee girl in January and my mother successfully battling cancer just a few weeks ago.

Every single day has been a learning experience with the wee one. Didn't believe you could could love someone or something this much until she came along. Also very proud of my mum, although Definitely feeling lucky as I know there are those that aren't as fortunate and for that my heart goes out to every single one of them.

Professionally feeling a bit dissalusioned just now, but ultimately still a good job and I know there are folk on their arse so won't complain.

Also managed to go to the best gig I've ever been to in June, and had a couple of very memorable trips away.

The only real disappointment was Scotland not qualifying. Tbh I can live with that....just about.

All the best to you all anyway x

On the whole been a rollercoaster of a year

Personal and family

Had my mum recovering from cancer only to be told she needs both eyes operated on to remove cataracts and my dad being told he needs his Gaul bladder removed. Lost my partners stepdad in April but then we were blessed with the birth of our beautiful if mental baby boy. He has been the thing that has kept me going at times and is very much a daddy's boy

Professional

Left one job as I was going nowhere and didn't get on with the production manager. Started in a job making plastic pipe which turned out to be the worst job I have had due to the expectations and pressure but left that job to go back to what I know. Started work in Corby (little Scotland) working with robots in an automotive manufacturer. They even have enough respect for robot programmers that unlike previous robot jobs I come under engineering rather than production.

Football

Gutter at Scotland but unfortunately kind of used to it now. Keep my eye on Killie results but don't keep upto date with the ins and outs apart from what I get on here

2015 was appalling in all levels.

My fiancee's Dad died suddenly in October (prior to us getting married in April 2016), the consequences of which are that we have had to temporarily move in with her Mother because she has MS and needs looking after. We are also ploughing through his estate, trying to sort that out as well as arranging permanent accommodation for us, including me having to rent my flat out in the meantime. In June, my fiancée was driving my Mum back from visiting my Gran in hospital when an erratic driver crashed into them when crossing the road to enter a junction without looking and almost killed them both.

Work-wise, I was badly affected by the above such that I ended up being shafted and 'pushed' out of my employment. On the other hand, I got another job pretty quickly and got a decent few quid out of them for their unprofessionalism but still had to go through legal action to do so. With the ongoing insurance claim for the accident which I have been dealing with because it's too upsetting for my fiancée and Mum, I could've done without all that.

Football-wise... not brilliant either!

Anyway, we deserve a good 2016 in my opinion and I'm greatly looking forward to our wedding and subsequent honeymoon in Thailand so bring it on!

That's awful :( Hope 2016 brings better times.

Wolfie lad I hope 2016 will be to you what 15 was to me.

Our wee lass 1st birthday was in December and watching her grow over that year has been amazing. Also have a nephew who is three weeks older than wee lass so watching them together is simply wonderful.

My brother got married and had a winner of a weekend with her French family over who totally fell in love with the place. My cousin got married in Ireland and in to a wonderful family. He lost his mum a few years back so was brilliant to see him so happy. Both ladies in question are both more attractive than either of my family members and could defo handle themselves in a pub fight so welcome additions.

In my job I'm bored daft. I get home every nght for 6 and keeps us comfy so even at my most pissed off I realise time is more important than anything.

Football - Scotland v Georgia was awful. Stoke- Playing stuff beyond my wildest dreams. Dundee United- pish.

In general I hate New Year, and I deliberately try to avoid the 'imaginary line' which forces you into compartmentalizing and assessing your life.

i don't find that healthy.

Yesterday was Thursday, today is Friday. Yesterday's gone and I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

After a pretty crap second half to 2015, and floored with flu over Christmas, thats pretty much how I viewed it. Concentrating on rest before getting back into work.

As for the year, still finding it tough after separating from boys' Mum and trying to find a balance between being involved in boys life and making a new life for myself. Been tough going. Met a great girl and found it hard finding balance so it ended.

2016 will be about trying to get balance right and maybe sorting things out that I let go of.

All in all though, life's not been too hard, especially reading some of the stuff others have gone through. Decent job, with good people, some good friends I can catch up with at the football and have my health. Hoping to run first full marathon this year so keen for holiday season to finish and get on with year ahead.

Happy New Year y'all. Hope you have a good one.

2015 was very bland for the first 9 months. Just working all the time and mammoth amounts of overtime to save up for my own place and helped towards my Georgia trip. Got a new nephew too

Spent a week dotting about Europe in September en route to Georgia and its gave me the idea of disappearing this year and having a once in a lifetime trip abroad.

No sooner had I got back from Georgia I had a fcukker of a sore back, thought it was all flying then I started pishing blood that smelt like the inside of Kate and Gerry McCanns suitcase to find out I had kidney stones. Took tablets which the hospital gave me and got much worse and couldn't eat, shiting foam and got taken back in with low blood pressure. Just before I boarded the plane to Faro it felt as though one of the stones was stuck up my japs eye, wearing a kilt with sporran that kept battering off the main event didn't help

Numerous trips to the doctors, hospital, scans, xrays and ultrasounds later the tablets gave me an enflamed bowel. Now nearly all clais are hingin aff me but I'm now fitting back into my salmon pink medium away top with room to spare. Happy Days!!

Football wise it's been shite. Hibs failed to get promotion and I think I was the only Hibby who wasn't happy going by the reaction at full time in the play off and reading Facebook, Twitter and various message boards

Like most people I couldn't see anyway in which we couldn't qualify for France then we went to Dublin and failed to go for the win. The less said about the Georgia debacle the better

Game of the year: Hibs 2-0 Aberdeen

Goal of the year: Dominique Malonga vs Aberdeen

Overall Verdict: Could have been worse but could have been much, much better

The first 5 months will be much the same as last year, overtime and trying to spend as little as possible and save up as I'm feckin aff on a big trip away. Hopefully Hibs win the title and we are still in the race by November and we get a positive result down at Wembley

Edited by DoonTheSlope

Personally - Average, nothing great or terrible.

Professionally - Worst year of my life, I hold my work in absolute contempt, cant stand 90% of management & staff. Think about quitting on a daily basis, and have walked out several times, also had 6 sick days, which is more than the previous 15 years employment combined.

Family - Fine, nothing of significant note thank fully.

Football - Awful, Scotland proves yet again to be nothing but a massive disappointment, Dundee frustrate and offer more disappointment, I wish Hartley would GTF, cant stand him one bit, almost getting to the Levein standard of dislike.

2016 simply has to be better, it just has to be.

Awful, by far and away the worst year of my life, Dad died in July, lost the love of my life in early Dec, fitba (Scotland) was gash but unsurprising, work was FAR too stressful and disappointing. The only thing that went for it was we lost the referendum in 2014 not 2015.

Feels like "someone up there" has it in for me! Utter pish I know and I know its up to me to sort it oot but hell 2015 was a total c***.

Fkin devastated but now the job is to sort masel oot. Glad 2015, christmas & hogmanay pash is over.

Awful, by far and away the worst year of my life, Dad died in July, lost the love of my life in early Dec, fitba (Scotland) was gash but unsurprising, work was FAR too stressful and disappointing. The only thing that went for it was we lost the referendum in 2014 not 2015.

Feels like "someone up there" has it in for me! Utter pish I know and I know its up to me to sort it oot but hell 2015 was a total c***.

Fkin devastated but now the job is to sort masel oot. Glad 2015, christmas & hogmanay pash is over.

Yeah that is pretty much the 'best' endorsement of 2015 but it is true. Thought you'd been a bit quiet Bzzzz. :mellow: Seems like 2015 has been putting itself around a bit. The khunt.