Mobile Phones @ Gigs - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mobile Phones @ Gigs

Don't know if this is old man talking, but is it me or has mobile phones really drained gigs of an atmosphere.

I'm as guilty as anyone for filming my favourite tunes, but the crowd now seems to mostly just stand there and film instead of a few years back the place would be bouncing...

Am I getting old....or should phones be somehow banned fae gigs....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if this is old man talking, but is it me or has mobile phones really drained gigs of an atmosphere.

I'm as guilty as anyone for filming my favourite tunes, but the crowd now seems to mostly just stand there and film instead of a few years back the place would be bouncing...

Am I getting old....or should phones be somehow banned fae gigs....

Aye it's the auld man in ye. Here's a mobile phone clip from the recent Kasabian gig at the Corn Exchange.

Doesn't seem to be affecting the atmosphere too much :)

http://youtu.be/4-2JcWv49a4

Edited by Angus_Young

There does seem to be a need to take photos and videos to let all your Facebook friends know what a good time you're having, as opposed to just putting your phone away and actually having a good time and enjoying the moment.

Definitely, it's the same every where you go. Folk constantly taking pictures on nights out and doing daft poses for selfies. All so they can post them on Facebook so all the folk they vaguely know and their ex's can see.

Worst of all are folk that "check-in" places. Fvck up, no one gives a fvck that you're at the pub/out for your dinner/at the cinema. Arseholes!

I went to uni with a girl who would check in at home, then on the couch, then in the bath and finally into bed. And she deleted me after we finished!

Aye put the phones away at gigs please. Chances are someone else is recording it anyway or there's 100 videos of the same song at another gig on YouTube

Definitely, it's the same every where you go. Folk constantly taking pictures on nights out and doing daft poses for selfies. All so they can post them on Facebook so all the folk they vaguely know and their ex's can see.

Worst of all are folk that "check-in" places. Fvck up, no one gives a fvck that you're at the pub/out for your dinner/at the cinema. Arseholes!

Guilty your honour!

B17FF6D8-358F-4EF4-B4D8-A36E291DA003_zps

C401D10D-53AA-4FE7-8C0F-849951AB65C2_zps

DAD27BF7-4D3B-4682-9CCA-464AA0443554_zps

ACB4BF45-0D11-4030-B391-915678636CA5_zps

4710CABC-A77C-463B-8CCB-1D64F4CB5083_zps

Not a big one for selfies but I do like to check-in if I'm somewhere vaguely interesting. It's showing off, I know, but I still do it.

I think it was Stewart Lee who said facebook is a state surveillance system manned by gullible volunteers.

tens of millions of years of evolution till we get opposable thumbs and they're used to hold a selfie-stick.

I think it was Stewart Lee who said facebook is a state surveillance system manned by gullible volunteers.

tens of millions of years of evolution till we get opposable thumbs and they're used to hold a selfie-stick.

Completely agree. Yet it will be the same sinister bastards who are bumping their gums about the authorities looking at your browsing history

I was at Nick Cave at the concert hall a few months ago (£65 a ticket). Girl sitting along from us sat playing on her phone the entire night, didn`t see any of the show at all. Only looked up at the end of every song to applaud the song she`d just missed.

At the Placebo gig they had security types shining a bright light at anyone filming or taking photos.

The constant talking is my real bugbear though. Why do this @tesholes not just go to the pub or a nightclub. I often have to move elsewhere to get away from these people.

Anyone else not got a smartphone?

Actually, I bought one last year when I found you can't get a printed A-to-Z in London any more. But after paying for one month's data I realized that I couldn't be arsed with the fiddly keyboard, rarely go to London, and quite enjoy getting lost anyway so haven't internetted with it since.

As for Facebook, Instagram etc ... Why?

Edited by DonnyTJS

Anyone else not got a smartphone?

Actually, I bought one last year when I found you can't get a printed A-to-Z in London any more. But after paying for one month's data I realized that I couldn't be arsed with the fiddly keyboard, rarely go to London, and quite enjoy getting lost anyway so haven't internetted with it since.

As for Facebook, Instagram etc ... Why?

I don't have a smart phone Donny. I've had the same one for years and years and years.

I have facebook, my gran posts on hers more than me though. my friends are scatter around the world, so good to see their pictures and type out some shit on messenger.

If i want to go somewhere i just look at the map for 2 minutes to commit it to memory then go, as i get older though i think that plan might not be as water-tight as it once was.

Edited by phart