Remembrance Weekend - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Remembrance Weekend

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm more excited to see how Rangers outdo armed forces day!

Will they parachute in the match ball? Or shoot it from a cannon onto the centre spot?

You've not been paying attention. Both have been done before.

I'm going for a full WW2/1690 re-enactment with Andy Halliday crossing a German Catholics head for King Billy to volley in to the top corner.

You've not been paying attention. Both have been done before.

I'm going for a full WW2/1690 re-enactment with Andy Halliday crossing a German Catholics head for King Billy to volley in to the top corner.

Charles Green was well on the way to organising that!

:lol:

Rangers military celebrations always make me think of the Frankie Boyle line on the Olympics, something like...

"XXXX million pound for the opening ceremony, for that money they could've written " you Germany" on the moon"

Just thinking next year when we're down at Wembley it falls on the 11th. Might take in the ceremony thing they usually have. Does anyone know if they do it in the 11th itself or is it just the Sunday?

it's the weekend we're there

We shouldn't blend football and this recently Americanised, jingoistic "Remembrance Day" circus.

I'd discontinue it all and just go back to the quiet remembrance we had up until 2008 when Gordon Brown decided we had to have all this.

Killie just have a minute of silence with a soldier playing the last post.

Most clubs up here do something similar. With the odd exception for various reasons.

Down south is more of a circus.

I think a minutes silence is the perfect tribute.

We shouldn't blend football and this recently Americanised, jingoistic "Remembrance Day" circus.

I'd discontinue it all and just go back to the quiet remembrance we had up until 2008 when Gordon Brown decided we had to have all this.

Agreed, go to the kirk or to the memorial event that they have at every town but keep this out of football.

Most clubs up here do something similar. With the odd exception for various reasons.

It is rather depressing that Rangers have turned this into such an undignified event and f*ck knows why they do armed forces day.

Edited by Larky Masher

Load of pish.leave all this where it should be at the war memorials.Nothing to do with football,we never used to have all this. Edited by The Laud

For years when I started to go to football there was nothing at all at games.

Minute's silences were reserved for the passing of ex players, directors and managers with the very odd exception for the likes of Dunblane.

Personally always buy and wear a poppy but think the whole Remembrance thing has lost a lot with it being turned into something that football clubs especially have to be seen to making a big effort about.

Always thought Hearts did everything right - their own quite service every year with as little fanfare as possible.

No we seem to be at a 'look at what we're doing' phase.

No very dignified at all in my opinion.