Bosnia In Playoff - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bosnia In Playoff

Dillinger

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stadiums empty already. If that had been us you'd never have got us out the ground

In fact we were in the ground in Portugal after the dead rubber longer than they were in their ground after qualifying. No wonder we are soft as shyte

Exactly, they'll be concentrating on getting out of the group in 16 where as we'd been happy scoring 1 goal.

Not sure how I feel that Ireland qualified.

Obviously gutted we're not going, Ireland and Poland above us never even took 3 points off us in any of our games.

The only thing I can take from this is we were in a difficult group (3 teams qualified) If you look at who Wales and NI had, I'm sure we would have qualified out their groups.

I think it gets worse in the finals tournament too. They only get rid of a few teams after all the group games. 24 teams and probably 6 groups of 4 so they lose 8 teams to leave 16 I think. All part of the money making.

It may be an unfancied team again. Like Denmark then Greece in the past. Hope it isnae Poland. I fancy Belgium - may have a few quid on if price is ok.

I was severely pissed off and sickened when ireland got the 2nd goal and qualified to leave us at home while they swan off to the championships next summer.All the best to the irish in france next year.I am dog sitting while the irish are enjoying themselves and my wife and family go to ibiza.

Not sure how I feel that Ireland qualified.

Obviously gutted we're not going, Ireland and Poland above us never even took 3 points off us in any of our games.

The only thing I can take from this is we were in a difficult group (3 teams qualified) If you look at who Wales and NI had, I'm sure we would have qualified out their groups.

Amoungst all the doom and gloom I would tend to agree with you. I think the quality or competitvness of our group for me has been highlighted by some of the play offs so far. Bosnia tonight were shocking as were Norway over their two games and Slovenia on Saturday.

I dont think we're that far away and I dont thik England are the big power house people think they are. Will they or can they do the same again in qualyfing next time, I would doubt it.

I think Bosnia should apply the precedent set by Ireland in 2009 and call for the match to be replayed because the ref got the dodgy handball decision wrong.

Glad you're seething about it mo chara.

In at work at 9am tomorrow and enjoying the Guinness :).

Amoungst all the doom and gloom I would tend to agree with you. I think the quality or competitvness of our group for me has been highlighted by some of the play offs so far. Bosnia tonight were shocking as were Norway over their two games and Slovenia on Saturday.

I dont think we're that far away and I dont thik England are the big power house people think they are. Will they or can they do the same again in qualyfing next time, I would doubt it.

Trouble is we're going into the next campaign with virtually the same group of players (already quoted by strachan) who from what we've seen are totally inconsistent with their form over two years. There is no evidence to suggest there are new players ready to come in and enhance the squad and that we will be able to finish in the top 2.

The margins in football are so small. Georgia away and Ireland away aside I think we could have gotten more points from the games we didn't win, although at the same time you could argue we were lucky last 15 mins in Poland. With that in mind I don't think we'll be far away from 2nd in this next group but we must be more positive in all our games.

The margins in football are so small. Georgia away and Ireland away aside I think we could have gotten more points from the games we didn't win, although at the same time you could argue we were lucky last 15 mins in Poland. With that in mind I don't think we'll be far away from 2nd in this next group but we must be more positive in all our games.

Ireland's goal against us was about 5 yards offside, so I think we could have got more points in that one too.

Fair play to roi yes maybe there are boring with the long ball but it works we ####ed it up in Georgia simple as that... You can Analize every game and say what if this had happened or that had happened at end of day we should have won in Georgia and we would have been in the play offs regardless of other results. Roi finished on 18 pts we finished on 15 an extra 3pts in Georgia and we would have been in playoffs I said it at the time and I will say it again if we can't beat Georgia then we simply not good enough or deserve to qualify. Yes can argue should have done better against Poland and roi bit 12 months ago we would have taken the results but Georgia Ffs that is the game I will always remember being our downfall

The problem is PIAK that we are never "far away" (with the possible exception of Levein). We are always in the frame up until the final couple of games, but we never ever convert.

I see no evidence of that changing any time soon. I confidently predict we will finish a close(ish) 3rd to England and Slovakia in the next campaign.

The problem is PIAK that we are never "far away" (with the possible exception of Levein). We are always in the frame up until the final couple of games, but we never ever convert.

I see no evidence of that changing any time soon. I confidently predict we will finish a close(ish) 3rd to England and Slovakia in the next campaign.

True, and that's what is frustrating about our team. And by the 9th or last game it's all out of our hands.

Then you'll have teams eg Greece, Serbia, Slovenia, who may alternate each qualifying campaign from dross to superstars.

We seem to be neither. Like the indyref, yes got a lot of votes, 45-55 is a respectable fight but not near enough.

Yet we'll tell ourselves, maybe not the realists on here, but average man, we were unlucky, don't have the players, we can't be qualifying as a small nation.

Northern Ireland,Hungary,Albania,Iceland etc have qualified. "Easy group" nope! We wouldn't win in Helsinki, Budapest,Athens, etc - we wouldn't have the balls for it.

Levein actually took us closer to finishing group runners up than anyone since Berti...

I must admit I was referring to Levein’s second campaign which was virtually over before it started.

That said mibbes a wee bit disingenuous to say that Levein took us closest since Berti. Absolutely cannot be argued that we still had a chance of qualifying in the final game, but given that we had to not only win away in Spain, we had to rely on Lithuania beating the Czechs. In reality I don’t think even the most rosy cheeked optimist thought there was any chance of that happening. On that basis I’d credit Levein with the same achievement as his predecessors. In fact didn’t Burley technically take us to the final game against Holland too?

In any case, it only goes to strengthen my main point. Just don’t want Levein getting any more credit than he deserves!! :-))

I was referring more to the last minute dive by the Czech that almost certainly cost us a play off spot...

I guess that's the point I was making on another thread. There's always a story with us.

Put it this way, the most confident I've been of qualification, as late in a campaign as possible, was the Italy game under McLeish.

In fact I was more confident of qualification then than I was in the play off under Berti.

I must admit I was referring to Levein’s second campaign which was virtually over before it started.

That said mibbes a wee bit disingenuous to say that Levein took us closest since Berti. Absolutely cannot be argued that we still had a chance of qualifying in the final game, but given that we had to not only win away in Spain, we had to rely on Lithuania beating the Czechs. In reality I don’t think even the most rosy cheeked optimist thought there was any chance of that happening. On that basis I’d credit Levein with the same achievement as his predecessors. In fact didn’t Burley technically take us to the final game against Holland too?

In any case, it only goes to strengthen my main point. Just don’t want Levein getting any more credit than he deserves!! :-))

Big Eck was the closest v Italy. Burley had to get a draw with Holland to finish second, beat them to secure or have a chance of a playoff. Norway piped us to second on head to head but missed out on a playoff due to being the worst runner up.