The Beatles - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That anyone can possibly say The Beatles were overrated just defies belief for me. Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but in no way overrated.

They recorded 13 studio albums in an 8 year period (as a comparison, U2 have released 13 albums in 35 years). They paved the way for bands to write their own songs and along with George Martin, completely changed the way music was recorded - pushing the boundaries of the limited technology of the time. Sgt. Pepper was recorded on a 4 track!

We all know about the ridiculously productive Lennon/McCartney song writing partnership, but if we take The Beatle who was considered to be the third songwriter in the group (Harrison) and look at his best songs (say Here Comes The Sun, Something & While My Guitar Gently Weeps) they would probably stand at the top of most other bands back catalogs.

The thing is their music is so diverse that personally I struggle to see how anyone can blanket say 'I don't like their music'. Helter Skelter is about as far removed from Love Me Do as it's possible to get and that change came within 5 years (most bands these days would probably have released 2 albums in that time if they were lucky).

It's unlikely that any other band will ever have the same influence on both music and culture as the Beatles.

Anyway, my favourite Beatles song is 'For No One' (although 'Across The Universe' runs it close), and my favourite album is Revolver.

Well said. For anyone to say "The Beatles are the most over rated band ever" must think all of Simon Cowall and Louis Walsh's bands are better, Black Lace deserved the acclaim they recieved and St Winifred's School choir really were awesome. I grew up watching The Beatles films ( cant remember if they were always on a Saturday morning or during the school holidays) I still think "Help" is one of the best tunes ever.

Pepper must be the most overrated album of all time though.

It's a bit hit and miss, some classic stuff on there though. I always think you have to listen to it while appreciating the context of 1967, it must've seemed astounding at the time.

Prefer Rubber Soul and Revolver myself...

Not so much a fan of their early stuff, but Rubber Soul and Revolver are good places to start.

Not so much a Sgt Pepper fan, but it's a landmark album for the 1960's.

After this is probably where they become a proper guitar band (The Beatles (White Album) and Abbey Road) with great tunes like Helter Skelter, while my Guitar Weeps, Back in the USSR, Here Comes the Sun, I want you (she so heavy) and the Jam session that is the 2nd half of Abby Road.

It's a bit hit and miss, some classic stuff on there though. I always think you have to listen to it while appreciating the context of 1967, it must've seemed astounding at the time.

Prefer Rubber Soul and Revolver myself...

Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane were recorded as part of the Pepper sessions, but not included on the album (I think they were actually the first recordings). It would be a better album if they'd ditched two of the weaker tracks (Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite would have been a prime candidate) and included those two tracks.

When all is said and done though A Day in the Life is still a work of genius.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Top tracks for me would be And Your Bird Can Sing, I've Just Seen A Face, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, ...Bungalow Bill, Don't Pass Me By, You Never Give Me Your Money, Across The Universe. All just "filler" album tracks that would be most other bands best material by miles.

Nowhere near my own top ten groups, but as has been said, I guess you had to be there at the time (actually I was - remember my folks playing Revolver when it came out - but too young to appreciate the context).

They (or, to be fair, McCartney) seemed to manage to include at least one stinker per album. My favourites are Abbey Road which is ruined by 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer' and 'Octopus's Garden', and Revolver which has to carry the leaden weight of 'Yellow Submarine'.

At their best - 'Strawberry Fields', 'I am the Walrus', 'Tomorrow Never Knows' - they can still sound great; but not any greater than 'Good Vibrations' or 'Gimme Shelter'.

They (or, to be fair, McCartney) seemed to manage to include at least one stinker per album. My favourites are Abbey Road which is ruined by 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer' and 'Octopus's Garden', and Revolver which has to carry the leaden weight of 'Yellow Submarine'.

Agree on "Maxwell's Silver Hammer"..... TBH for a Ringo track (as almost every Beatles album had to have one, which always had a element of kids appeal/comedy to it) that was actually written by Ringo, Octopus's Garden is something of a guilty pleasure Beatles track, as It's not in same league as what the other 3 were capable of writing, and it is just a re-work "Yellow Submarine" (think it was George who commented when Ringo brought it to the group "you have just rewritten Yellow Submarine") which I think is fitting of its place on Abbey Road

Agree with you re Maxwell's Silver Hammer, abysmal stuff. I think Macca was trying to write a Bonzo Dog song and failed epically.

Yellow Submarine is a work of genius though. It's like a song that's been around for centuries. 5 year old kids nowadays will sing it having no idea who wrote it or when. What a thing to have come up with...

Probably true of most bands / artists with a fairly extensive back catalogue - e.g. Bob Dylan and Neil Young.

With Dylan and Young it could be more credited to phases they were going through.... Dylan his Christian Rock phase (though "Slow Train Coming" is one of his best albums IMHO) and Young his experimental Geffen years (Trans and Landing on Water probably his poorest albums, though Old Ways is good and should be considered the next step after Harvest).

Neil young was feckin honkin' in the 80s..WTF was that all about ?????

Youngs son was born with cerebral palsy in the early 80's and he tried to communicate to him through through a voice box machine, which in turn influenced his Kraftwerk sounding album Trans, which was poorly received.... He had just signed a big money deal with Geffen Records who didn't take kindly to the album and told him to "record a rock n roll album".... Which he them went out and recorded a 1950's style rockabilly "Everyone's Rockin" album.... Which in turn got him sued by the record company for "not sounding like Neil Young".....