The Beatles - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is anyone who love The Beatles?

Which album or song is your favourite one?

I Should Have Known Better is my favourite Beatles song from A Hard Days Night. I know most of the names of albums though not sure on what albums what though

Other favourites are Norwegian Wood, Something, And I Love Her and I Want To Hold Your Hand

Not a fanatic but I have the red album and sgt peppers. Both are excellent in different ways, you can hear how their sound was maturing on the latter.

Red album is a tour de force of 3 minute pop hits. Hide your love away always one of my favourites.

Earlier this year we did the National Trust bus tours to John and Paul's houses, absolutely fascinating.

Just to stand in the front porch where John practiced his guitar and listen to the acoustics made it worthwhile.

Thoroughly recommend doing that if you're in the Liverpool area.

Most Overrated band ever huv said it afore on here they couldnae pish on the small faces

I've never quite understood it myself. Any band that was fawned over by 14 year old girls isnae for me.

The only song of theirs I could listen to over and over again is back in the USSR.

Earlier this year we did the National Trust bus tours to John and Paul's houses, absolutely fascinating.

Just to stand in the front porch where John practiced his guitar and listen to the acoustics made it worthwhile.

Thoroughly recommend doing that if you're in the Liverpool area.

Was in Liverpool last year, so drove over to see Lennon's house on Menlove Avenue. Very poignant standing outside the gate thinking of all the times that Paul McCartney would have pitched up there with a guitar and the outline of a song in his head. The moment was lost when the Magical Mystery Tour bus pitched up right behind me as I gazed wistfully over the gate... Would like to visit Liverpool again and do a proper tour one day.

Most "pop" bands were then though. Look at concert films from the 60s of the likes of Dylan and Zeppelin, audiences full of teenage girls...

Aye, I'm reading Keef's autobiography and he says early Stones' gigs were the same.

My old man was at the gig in Blackpool in '64 that descended into a riot - Keef describes it in his book as being full of drunken Glaswegians.

Edited by Charlie Endell

I'm not a great Beatles fan but The Beatles a.k.a. The White Album is one of my favourite albums - for a band at their commercial peak (probably just past it actually) to come out with something so off the wall is brilliant - it would be like One Direction releasing Trout Mask Replica (well, maybe not). Sexy Sadie, Helter Skelter (although I prefer the bluesier version on Anthology), The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill and Dear Prudence are my picks.

Not a great fan tbh, although if you're looking for snappy three minute pop songs then The Beatles are right up there with Westlife and Take That. The only difference being that the band's main man (Lennon) was actually incredibly talented.

Of the British Invasion bands The Rolling Stones and The Animals were more my cup of tea, whilst Creedence were producing some great stuff on the other side of the pond.

That anyone can possibly say The Beatles were overrated just defies belief for me. Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but in no way overrated.

They recorded 13 studio albums in an 8 year period (as a comparison, U2 have released 13 albums in 35 years). They paved the way for bands to write their own songs and along with George Martin, completely changed the way music was recorded - pushing the boundaries of the limited technology of the time. Sgt. Pepper was recorded on a 4 track!

We all know about the ridiculously productive Lennon/McCartney song writing partnership, but if we take The Beatle who was considered to be the third songwriter in the group (Harrison) and look at his best songs (say Here Comes The Sun, Something & While My Guitar Gently Weeps) they would probably stand at the top of most other bands back catalogs.

The thing is their music is so diverse that personally I struggle to see how anyone can blanket say 'I don't like their music'. Helter Skelter is about as far removed from Love Me Do as it's possible to get and that change came within 5 years (most bands these days would probably have released 2 albums in that time if they were lucky).

It's unlikely that any other band will ever have the same influence on both music and culture as the Beatles.

Anyway, my favourite Beatles song is 'For No One' (although 'Across The Universe' runs it close), and my favourite album is Revolver.

Strawberry fields for me.

It's also an incredible place to see in Central Park.

There was someone setting pettles all over the imagine piece,in the design of a peace sign,just for the hell of it apparently.

I've also had my picture taken where Lennon was assassinated.