November Friendly/friendlies - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

November Friendly/friendlies

ProudScot

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then why did we play brazil at the Emirates cause it was the euros the following year ,

Why would African teams be coming to Europe for a training camp? Part of the reason we played Nigeria in London was because it suited their plans for going out to Brazil.

If we are going to be away at the end of the season, it will be as someones "sending off" match before the Euros, or in Germany/Austria/Northern Italy at someones training camp (ie Ukraine are training in Austria before the finals, and they have NI in their group, so play us in Innsbruck or somewhere like that).

Any London grounds we can use to play a non-European team and get an away point in the process?

I can't think of anything worse than another friendly in London. Some people just want a cheap point.

I really hope they arrange an end of season tour to the Far East, South America or Australia and play 2 or 3 games.

There has been no official announcement unfortunately but Stewart Regan replied on twitter to me and others to say there wouldn't be a game. Strachan was in the paper at the weekend saying he didn't want to play as it wouldn't do anything for moral.

It certainly isn't too late but the only way we would play now is if we were offered silly money but think that is highly unlikely or GS has a change of heart.

Russia, Croatia, Albania, Portugal and Northern Ireland are the only Euro 2016 teams not to have anything confirmed. However Croatia are expected to play Russia and Albania. Albania likely to play Kosovo too. Estonia are looking for a 3rd game and Georgia are looking for a second (not that we are going to play Georgia).

Not sure what NI and Portugal are going to do..

Edited by tartanpar

There has been no official announcement unfortunately but Stewart Regan replied on twitter to me and others to say there wouldn't be a game. Strachan was in the paper at the weekend saying he didn't want to play as it wouldn't do anything for moral.

It certainly isn't too late but the only way we would play now is if we were offered silly money but think that is highly unlikely or GS has a change of heart.

Russia, Croatia, Albania, Portugal and Northern Ireland are the only Euro 2016 teams not to have anything confirmed. However Croatia are expected to play Russia and Albania. Albania likely to play Kosovo too. Estonia are looking for a 3rd game and Georgia are looking for a second (not that we are going to play Georgia).

Not sure what NI and Portugal are going to do..

Lets hope the SFA do not let the fans suffer by playing N Ireland. Can you imagine ?

A friendly now would be pointless. Start again next year with enthusiasm towards WC qualifiers and when over the disappointment of not qualifying for Euros

Disagree - ?Trying out new players and a much needed new system is essential.

It's classic us and our backwards thinking.

Disagree - ?Trying out new players and a much needed new system is essential.

It's classic us and our backwards thinking.

Can see your thinking. I think we should be playing away to Eastern European teams in friendlies so we learn how to approach and win them so a Georgia doesn't happen a 3rd time :(

Can see your thinking. I think we should be playing away to Eastern European teams in friendlies so we learn how to approach and win them so a Georgia doesn't happen a 3rd time :(

I think to an extent the idea of playing teams from a similar region to those you are drawn against is a bit outdated.

20 or 30 years ago, different regions would have very different styles of play but these days, I think most teams play very similar styles of football these days - obviously some are better than others.

The fact that virtually all top players play in European leagues probably has a lot to do with this.

Exactly - We can't do that by not playing. Estonia away is a perfect friendly which is also available.

Exactly - We can't do that by not playing. Estonia away is a perfect friendly which is also available.

Probably after Norway 2 years ago Strachan does not want to go somewhere that he is not guaranteed good weather for training sessions.

then why did we play brazil at the Emirates cause it was the euros the following year ,

Brazil sell the rights to their games to a agent, so go to wherever they are told to play and play who they are told to. They did not plan to come to Europe, it was just a case that the agent who has the rights to their games saw Brazil v Scotland being a good money making match.

Brazil sell the rights to their games to a agent, so go to wherever they are told to play and play who they are told to. They did not plan to come to Europe, it was just a case that the agent who has the rights to their games saw Brazil v Scotland being a good money making match.

I met one of the agents in London at that game. Top guy. :ok: